1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman 2nd in COY Voting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Adelman deserved to win, IMO, but coming in second is pretty darn good. Kudos to Coach A. Now, if we could just get Guy Lewis in the Hall, and the Rockets into the second round, I might begin to think about possibly feeling at least a hint basketball happiness. Or something like that.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

i agree, it's great that the media recognizes RA for his efforts this season

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

after his second season in which he had to deal with an on off intregal part of the team. he's playing with a second year point guard, and made a guy who was almost out the NBA a big part of the team.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Any coach with a winning record (into the playoff) will not be fired unless you are conflicting with the owner, the players or you are leading the teams who are fighting for a NBA title just into the playoff.

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This is where I expected Rick to finish, either behind SVG or Mike Brown. You can't go wrong with either one though, Rick has done a phenomenal job this year though with this team. :D

6. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

This puts Mike Brown in upper-echelon company. Very few "living & active coaches" have won COY and been to the Finals. The list:
    Mike Brown
    Larry Bird
    Avery Johnson
    Doc Rivers
    Phil Jackson
    Pat Riley
    Byron Scott
    Greg Popovich
    Larry Brown
    Mike Dunleavy

But how did neither Spoelstra nor DiLeo not finish in the top 3? Those would be my TOP TWO candidates.

7. littlefish_220

Congratulations to Coach A. He did a great job for this year with so many distractions. Next goal- pass the first round and challenge Lakers.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

what a flavor of the month brown is. he's got the best team and finished with the best record. no major injuries or adversity. what's so great about his coaching season?

adelman, pop, spoelstra, should've been top 3 in that order.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

best team?

10. cshen

cshen Member

Coach of the year usually got fired pretty soon. Sam Mitchell, Avery Johnson, etc...

Let's see what happens when LBJ leaves Cleveland.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

This.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like another race that SVG choked up. Master of Panic lol. That late season slide probably did not help.

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Rick is one of the best coaches EVER and i'm so glad we have him stering this incedible group of guys.

14. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Hey, I have to disagree with you on this one. ;)

I took a look at the the last 5 coaches of the year and found that three of them ('05-'07) had already gone. Byron Scott might have some trouble in this off season too. Next up is Mike Brown.

I'm somewhat glad that Adelman is not in this list. :D :D

Code:
    Season  Coach  		Team   			W–L
    2004–05 Mike D'Antoni 	Phoenix Suns 		62–20
    2005–06 Avery Johnson 	Dallas Mavericks 	60–22
    2006–07 Sam Mitchell 	Toronto Raptors 	47–35
    2007–08 Byron Scott 	New Orleans Hornets 	56–26
    2008–09 Mike Brown 	Cleveland Cavaliers 	66–16

15. HookemHorns1250

Eh, I don't know how I feel about this decision. I think SVG Should have won it also. I mean, more than likely Lebron will win the MVP. I don't know how I feel about the "Coach of the Year" having the mvp on his team. Also, Mike didn't have to go through injuries like some have suggested, like Rick did. Also, I think George Karl should get some recognition for Denver grabbing the two seed..and barely being talked about the entire year.

16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Slap in the face to the fools who were yelling for Adelman to get fired couple nights ago.

You know that I know who you all are...

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

FIRE Adel.....er...what??

Never understood the Adelman hate. Especially last year at all those idiots claiming that he somehow hated Steve Francis and was maliciously keeping him out of the lineup while Alston was just being Rafer.

Or that he was trying to turn Yao into Brad Miller/Vlade Divac.

18. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

If we would have beat the mavs last week, do you think RA would have had a way better chance? Being the 2 seed.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree. People just complain when Yao plays too many minutes, or when they don't understand substitutions. Any time they don't understand/completely agree with something they start blaming Adelman for all the negatives. Oh well, I've just learned to ignore them.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does anyone know where Adelman finished last year in coach of the year voting?