1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The dark side of Dubai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is not Good. Someone always pays the COST for these things - Rocket River

" . . the streets was paved with gold. . . but who ever paved those streets got minimum wage, too" - The Coup

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

The dark side of Dubai

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I don't know about this, you should first check everything, you can't believe everyone (anyone).

4. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

I believe this 100% because I have seen it. This was also done in Iraq (KBR) while I was there. Its the way of the world unfortunately

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mathloom, paging Mr. Middle East apologist.....yo...Mathloom.

DD

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Some really great pictures from Dubai here.

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

There is no real Dubai... atleast not something that compares with places rich in historical significance and culture. Beirut, Istanbul, Tangiers... they all blow old Dubai out of the water. Dubai's hype is in it's tourist attractions and amenities for the affluent. It's naive to think that all this happens without exploiting the lower class, hidden away in the dark corners.

#8 Honey Bear, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

2nd Ronny on Beyrouth.

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What about US-sanctioned Damascus?

11. trustme

trustme Member

This is so true. And unfortunately not only in the UAE but many other places in the Middle East. I don't see this happen much in Qatar. I did see it happen a lot in Saudi Arabia, though. It's so sad, a country that says it follows Shariah is so indifferent to these matters.

I seriously think the problem is with arrogance. Arabs tend to think that they are way superior to non Arabs. Not only that, but within the ME people from different nations think they are better than people of other nationalities. For example, a Lebanese think he's 100 times better than an Egyptian and a Jordanian will think he's 100 times better than a Syrian. I've witnessed this stuff first hand while I was in MIDDLE SCHOOL! It's pathetic kids that young have this amount of cockiness. (I'm not saying all Arabs are like this, but most are, and it's disgusting).

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

There are labor issues all over the world esp in Asia. Not just in the Middle East.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Capitalism at it's finest.

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

the Free Market means FREEDOM!

15. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

if i pay someone 100 dirham to say 9/11 was an inside job and show the the towers falling at free fall speeds and building 7 collapsing with no structural damage, would that make it true? lulz.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Only if you pay someone else to care, Mr. Bonds.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Best Pink Floyd album ever!

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

E.g. in Bangladesh, but there it is the own population that is affected. That lacks the racist component of importing people to exploit them under inhumane conditions (aka slavery) that trustme correctly describes below.

19. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Except for even in Bangladesh there is a difference in how people from Dhaka treat the villagers that come looking for a job...The villagers would be no different than any foreigner that goes to Dubai as a laborer...

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

As always, you are wrong. There is a huge difference between being lured to a foreign country under false pretenses, having your passport taken away, and having to work under inhumane conditions as slaves of very rich people, and differences between the wealth of people from a city and the countryside within a country.