1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Perry talking Seceding

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 16, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ready to turn in your citizenship, huh, jorge?

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The threat of seceding is ridiculous? In there he was quoted as saying that right now there is no reason to.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so a lot of people are are really state first before country?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Man...what I see here is completely backwards.

You know back around 2000 or so, when, in a far more controversial election , a far more extremist president embarked the country on a far more radical shift in a certain direction - there was understandably a lot of consternation among left-leaning types as to the program we had embarked on (and in hindsight, they were largely right).

The common response among Wingnuttia was "if you don't like it, move to canada you commie" - but of course, let's fast forward to now.

When the wingnuts lose (fairly, squarely, and by modern standards, resoundingly) - their response is not to move, rather they appear to be asserting that, as a minority party, they have a right to dissolve the union (they do not, legally speaking, this matter was settled sometime ago) and form their own country.

That is the lazy-man's way out. You guys need to pull yourselves up by your bootstraps and hit the road. The response I think should be for people like Perry and other teabagging secessionists to move to the nearest border or other country where they can be free from government interference and can live out their free market dreams.

Mexico, particularly the border region, is a good candidate (lots of churches, lots of guns, cheap, and lots of general lawlessness, as the absence of government functions appears to be a prerequisite for thiese people). Afghanistan is another good one (lots of religion in schools and public life, again lots of guns and lawlesness). I'm sure there are many other regions that are well suited to their core values.

So I say to Perry, Glenn Beck, Michelle Bachman and other aspiring secessionists: Go South, young man. Carve out a new Randian paradise for yourself. Manifest your own destinies...meanwhile we will just stay here and continue with the work of building a worker's paradise.

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

We can secede, then take over Mexico and call it "New Texas".

6. MadMax

and bingo was his name-o.

7. MadMax

what is "yes" for $100, alex.

yes...yes...one-thousand times, yes.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

So, the Gov of Texas and the legislators of Georgia, Oklahoma, and South Dakota have all expressed similar views of secession or nullifying the Constitution.
    http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...and-south-dakota-perrys-got-nothing-on-us.php

These views aren't coming from crazy bloggers or what we traditionally referred to as fringe groups. These views are coming from elected officials in the Republican Party. Unbelievable. As Sam pointed out, when they happen to have power, they are beating opponents up with Patriotism, but now that they lost and have no evident path back to power they want to dissolve the union?

This is what has become of the Party of Lincoln. Oh, the irony.

9. rimrocker

I thought the same thing when the torture talk started... it's just talk... my country would never do that... there have to be sane people leading the government, right?

10. MadMax

And it's not good for the country, frankly. It's helpful when there are 2 parties actually contributing competing ideas to the table....not demonizing one another and threatening civil war.

I seriously can't believe how stupid all of this has become.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Re: Georgia, South Dakota, Texas

Wow. Once you trade in logic and common sense for purely political aims, this, I guess, is the result. Just unbelievable. What is the real goal here? Does this really help the 2010 or 2012 political picture? It really just looks like poor sportsmanship, and intellectual insolvency, to a new degree.

edit: LOL at UT, TA&MU, and the medical center without federal funding. But then, you don't find a lot of scientists or medical researchers lining up with Perry & his ilk these days. The brain drain alone would be hilarious. The national anthem of Texas would become "Jethro, our Jethro."

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Nothing is going to change, it is just talk and I don't even think it is serious talk. Much like Tim talking about getting rid of the dollar and agreeing with China.

13. Major

Major Member

I agree Texas would be more likely than any other besides maybe California (or Alaska/Hawaii - they probably have the easiest route since they are already the most independent), but the problem is that we are dependent on the federal gov't for military security. Texas has a top-10 economy in the world - not army. The Texas National Guard is not exactly all that powerful and would be obliterated by the US army.

The bigger problem would be economic. If the other 49 states were to cease trade with Texas, our economy would collapse, and we'd no longer have a top 10 economy. Yes, it would hurt the rest of the US too, but not nearly as much. Unlike the 1800's, the economies are too tightly connected to each other. Any non-Texas based corporation is likely to get the hell out, and all exports from Texas-based companies would cease.

The other problem you'd have is that, at a very minimum, about 40% of Texans would be against succession. A good chunk of the state is transplants with family/connections/business in other states - why would they want to leave? Since it's a GOP-led anti-gov't movement, chances are Dems wouldn't want to leave. So you'd have an internal revolt as well.

14. rimrocker

It's just stupid to even entertain the idea because by giving it some credence, you encourage the idiots. People are delusional if they think California or Texas could become their own nation.

15. LScolaDominates

And this is the guy in charge of appointing the boards of regents of our various state universities.

16. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

United we stand, divided we fall.
    One nation, under GOD.....
    Etc..

Right Wingers are showing their true colors.

What happened to "COUNTRY FIRST" ???

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Judoka, do you support Texans' self-determination?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Its all country first... until its no longer "their" country. Then screw it, they'll form their own.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Please strike my previous comments in the other thread on Federalism as I don't want to be associated even remotely with Perry's lunacy.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Perry is trotting out some ridiculous lunatic rhetoric to try to out flank Hutchinson that few Texans will support so this discussion is hypothetical.

If there was a mass movement among Texans to actually secede, particularly a resolution by the openly elected Texas legislature for seccession I would support it.

As you will note if you have read the other thread on Federalism I believe in a decentralization of power as in general a good way to run a country and that goes for the US as much as it does the PRC.