1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Be honest, we are fortunate to not be facing the Jazz or Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Apr 16, 2009.

1. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

No he's not - if we would've won (assuming Denver still loses - although I think they tanked that game as it meant nothing to them) Dallas would be 7th because the Hornets own the tie breaker.

2. mic

mic Contributing Member

Hornets were my preference from the get-go. I don't know why so many people wanted us to face up against the Mavs.

Blazers were my second pick--HCA would've been nice, but I think we can pull this one out...

3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

5 stars...

Of course I completly agree. We just don't matchup well against the Jazz. Maybe Looser is not 100%, but Millsap has improved a lot. It is a horrible matchup for Yao, not only on defense, also on offense because they FLOP. And they execute evert minute of the game, Rockets do have problems with that.

As for Dallas. I am suprised people say it would be an easy series for us. Maybe for the Lakers. We ust saw last night, we have no answer for Terry and Dirk has been pretty good as well. They just seem to have our numbers.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Solid post. Nate will adjust during the series. That's what playoff basketball is all about.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'll admit it. I've been a STRONG opponent of the "avoid the Jazz" crowd.

We're here NOT because we avoided them, but we should be grateful that we're facing the Blazers. That's the scenario I wanted. Good thread.

6. Mr.TripleDouble

The one issue that has me concerned about this series is that Portland is one of the best offensive rebounding teams in the league.

This proved to hurt mightily in Game 7 versus Utah two years ago, but that was a Scola-less team. I hope that the addition of a great rebounder such as Luis this time around will allow the Rockets to fare better in terms of stopping second chance opportunities for Portland.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Yes.

People are underestimating Portland. Playing their best they are the 2nd best team in the WC. And they are at home where they also have the #2 WC record. This is the worst possible draw--but it was in the Rockets hands to avoid it on the last day, all you could possibly ask for. NO should have bailed us out by making freaken free throws, but again, shouldn't have come to that when you have control of it.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

the only saving grace about our drop to the 5th seed is that we have the opportunity to beat the Blazers while we're the "underdog" since we're the away team.

9. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

The Rockets should have won yesterday against Dallas. Us not having to face Utah or Dallas in the playoffs does not lessen the disappoint or sting of that loss.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i agree. think about it. out of all the playoff teams, the ONLY teams we match up well with are the Blazers and Hornets. i was going to include the Mavs until they beat us, and you dont want to be playing the Spurs in the first round.

11. Desert Scar

I would much rather be playing the Spurs (home or away), Denver (ditto), NO (ditto), or the Mavs (home) & Jazz (home).

But such isn't life and we just got to do the best we can versus Portland. They are beatable, but next to LA they were the last team I wanted to draw, particularly at their place. The the last 3 weeks they have kicked the Lakers, Nuggest, Suns and Jazz butts at home, and kicked the Spurs butts at their place. Their only loss was at Houston. I am not saying that is nothing (that we beat them in our place), but I wouldn't weigh that over how well in general they are playing, particularly at home. This can be a darn hard team to contain--moreso than SA, Dallas, NO, Denver, Utah etc.

12. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I do not believe the Mavs can beat Houston when we have homecourt...so no fear.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sorry, but I feel like ranting.

People are not underestimating Portland. We've played them enough to gauge what kind of opponent we're facing, here. Just because we have some confidence does not mean we're underestimating them.

Any playoff team in the WC, when they're playing their best, is the 2nd best team.

Some group of people were going to say this REGARDLESS of who we played: If it had been the Mavs "oh noeees Jason Terry!!!, our team can't possibly contain him", the Hornets "oh noeees Chris Paul our team can't possibly contain him", the Jazz "oh noeeees Carlos Boozer our team can't possibly contain him", the Nuggets "oh nooeeees Chauncey Billups our team can't possibly contain him", and the Blazers "ohhh noooesss Brandon Roy our team can't possibly contain him." It's the nature of ClutchFans. And i'm friggin' tired of it.

I don't want to hear ONE SINGLE comment about how we can lose to the Blazers until we AT LEAST lose a game. People rarely give the Rockets credit as much as they cower in fear to the opponent's best player.

The series hasn't even started yet - no use to be negative. Why don't we try to not complain about something for just a few days?

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Cubericks and the JerryJazzies are the lucky ones. Po'land is going to be invaded by the conquering horde! Rox will pass R - test.

15. Desert Scar

I feel like ranting too. I have been saying for a number of days Portland was my least desired opponent--while so many here were saying they were a choice opponent (give me SA without Manu and a hobbling TD any day over this team--what are you people thinking?). If we would have won against Dallas, or hell, even if James Posey makes his FTs, I would have picked us to make the WCF--now if I am going with my head and not heart I foresee a 1st round exit.

I based my opinion both from multiple games I watched them and from their season performance--it is a common fallacy to pay more attention to 2-3-4 games (head to head) going into the playoffs than the totality of the season and determining how well a current team is playing. I hope I am wrong, but this is the one potential match-up (that was possible over the last week) I didn't want. We better play well early and steal one or even two, disrupting their cohesion--or this will be a confident bunch and our odds are long beating them late in the series at their place.

16. 0574_87499213

0574_87499213 Member

mybe i was too optimistic,but i do think if Jazz beat Laker,we do have a chance to clutch the champion.

we don't need to be afraid of LBJ or DW.

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

0574_87499213, I agree that we have a chance to clutch the champion - except we'd have to face the pesky Jazz. Do you really believe the Jazz can beat the Lakers, 0574_87499213??

18. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

LOL. Great first post.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i hate this thread. why are we fortunate? who cares who we play?

too bad we didn't get HCA - that's the only unfortunate thing.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

no, we just have Brandon Roy hitting dagger shots and Joel flopping...the fact is, we have to overcome stuff like that and rise above it to win.