1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why would the Rockets even consider picking an unproven player like Ming?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LEWIS LLOYD2, May 25, 2002.

1. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

wHY WOULD THE ROCKETS EVEN CONSIDER PICKING AN UNPROVEN PLAYER LIKE MING

I just do not understand all this talk about the Rockets picking this guy Ming. He has proven absolutely nothing has did nothing and will do nothing. It is not like Asian players have a history of being great players. Just because he is 7-5 does not mean he is worthy of a #1 pick. There are way better players out there. The Rocjets will set themselves back 5 years if they pick Ming because he is another Shawn Bradley if that. Jason Williams is the best player in this draft and the Rockets have to out of their minds to pick someone just because he is tall.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'll reply just to boost my post number:

if he turns out to be no more that a shot blocker....guess what?....we still need a shot blocker.

he is worth the risk because if he turns out to be great, and we passed on him we will be kicking ourselves for the next 13 years

3. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

smoothie, Obviously you replied without considering what you even said. You would pick him just so someone else does not get him and the Rockets need a shot blocker. That is meaningless reason to pick someone with the no 1 pick. Ming will not even block 2 shots a game. The Rockets already have a worthless center in Cato, The Rockets dont need a another one with a huge cranium.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

Lewis Lloyd,

Try posting some substance rather than all your he sucks jargon.

You have never seen ming play and the CBA is no worse off in competitiveness than the NCAA. Or do you subscribe to the Dick Vitale we have to prop up Duke and the NCAA philosophy?

He is a legit 7'5'', and while he doesn't have great wingspan hes still a towering presence.

The guy went 21/21 from long range in a workout. For a 7'5'' guy that is excellent and we have good post game teachers in CD and RT.

Also, Jay Williams has no use on this team as we do not need a guard, and with Ming being of comparable talent but at a position of need we take him unless we are wowed by another team.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<b>It is not like Asian players have a history of being great players.</b>

With all due respect, this is an ignorant statement to make. At one point, there had never been a European player in the NBA or Nigerian or Hispanic or even African American. Things change. It always has to start somewhere.

Ming might suck, but without giving it a shot, we just cannot know one way or the other and making the decision to choose him or not based on no other Asian players playing in the NBA is pretty silly.

What a lot of people fail to realize is that we aren't the only team interested in landing this guy. There are plenty of teams interested in drafting Ming with their picks and just as many who would love the opportunity to trade up and grab him. If they aren't simply dismissing him, neither should we since they probably know more about it than we ever will.

Besides, name a proven player in the draft. There aren't any. There never are. It comes with the territory.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

You're ****ing stupid LL2, and probably racist...

7. vj23k

vj23k Member

I'm not sure about this statement...I disagree totally with LewisLLoyd, but I'm not so sure that this is true.

Do you think that Ming would get 40 and 20(His playoff #'s) consistently in the NCAA Tournament?

I have heard about the European leagues being pretty well off, but I am pretty sure that the CBA is quite inferior to the NCAA.

8. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

If we don't get Ming....then who?
    Another guard to dribble away the 24 second shot clock?

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Member

I think that I should've said quite possibly or likely in that sentence, but the point is it isn't fair to say that the NCAA is better without having seen the level of play in the CBA.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is as good as many teams in the NCAA but as Americans we are often trained that we have the best of everything, it's just in our society's nature.

Not that I'm intentionally being stereotypical or anything of the like.

10. Lobo

Lobo Member

So what if the CBA isn't as good as the NCAA? Neither are high schools, but if the Rocks had a chance to draft a high schooler that dominated like Yao Ming and was 7'5", I'm quite sure we'd all be screaming at the top of our lungs to draft the guy.

I watched the game videos that were linked on another thread, and from what I saw the guy has some pretty decent skills. NBA level yet? Probably not, but as we saw last year, Eddie Griffin has a few things to learn still but has the markings of a star player in a couple of years, possibly a superstar if all goes well. I'd say Yao Ming has at least as much potential if not more.

11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

instead of telling me that i am wrong, or even starting threads that say we shouldnt staft ming, how about telling me what your solution is? do you have a better idea?

12. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

Jeff, I dont know what your problem is and I dont really care. You might think your on some higher level than others because moderate posts but you have no right calling someone statements ignorant. With no due respect that statement makes no sense. You bring up some real off the wall comparisons about Nigerians and Latinos and African Americans and they just are silly. Players in China do have a league unlike the ones you mentioned so we can base their talents on that. What your trying to do is breakdown every little word I use in my post and than use it against me in some way and it is not legit what you are trying to do. I am right in this instance like it not.

AZADRE, Let me tell you something you are out of your ****ing mind. Where do did pull that cockadooddle do nonsense about racism. Morons like you cant even tell the difference between logic and the truth.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

First, they are not off-the-wall comparisons because, at one point, someone very likely said the same thing about European players you are saying about Asians. In fact, I know they did because I remember reading them in papers.

"They can't play on the NBA level. They don't play on the same level in Europe. They aren't strong enough. They don't play defense."

Those were all leveled accusations against European players, Latin-American players, etc. They were wrong too.

By the way, if you don't want your comments broken down, don't post them.

14. RocksMillenium

I don't know what's gotten into you but you need to grow up. If you can't see how that statement is just stereotyping an entire group of people I can't help you. Yes China does have a league, it isn't any different then the NCAAs, Junior college, the CBA or High School. So why can those other leagues have a chance to have a player prove himself, but not China? Maybe the reason there haven't been Chinese players in the league because they live on the other side of the world with a government that can be tough to deal with sometimes as far as getting players. Maybe THAT'S the reason the NBA hasn't had a Chinese player before. No you're not right in this instance LIKE IT OR NOT!

#14 RocksMillenium, May 25, 2002
    Last edited: May 25, 2002
  15. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

They don't play defense.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

LL has moved on to crack now. Ming may not be worth the #1 pick, he does not suck. Name someone over 7' who sucks that can even shoot over 70% from the free throw line, let alone the field during a game.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

The guy is 21. But he could still pull an Arvydas Sabonis...

Making a blanket statement about "Asian players not being great players" isn't a <B>fact.</B> It's an <b>assumption</b> like Asian people are short...

Because he's so young, it's not out of the realm of possibilities that he can still learn defence and a decent post up game.

Or do you think Eddie Griffin's wisdom teeth is gonna teach him <i>his</i> post up game? :p

18. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

The Rockets getting the #1 pick is a luxury, we got lucky, we shouldn't even have it. It's times like this that you DO pick unproven players that have all the potential in the world. I'm going to be honest here, I didn't think at first Ming was the right call, and I still have my doubts, but I see all the upside.

He can bring so many things to the table that this teams needs. Block shots along with Griffen, how scary does that sound. I'm pretty sure this 7'5 freak can rebound with the best of them. Just the fact that he can change shots down low with being just what you said the Rox shouldn't draft him for, being tall. He can shoot the ball from the outside, which means Centers like Shaq can't play inside, and can create penetration from our Guards to get to the hole, and that to me sounds like the most important thing.

I really don't care what the Rockets do with the pick, because I see it as a bonus, a break, and luck of the balls. But I do care about people bashing Ming, it isn't fair to him, and it isn't fair to the bashers, because when this guy comes, I have a feeling he is going to be the real deal. Maybe all you need is the time to realize it.

19. solid

solid Member

First, the team is the R O C K E T S. So far as Ming is concerned, there are few people his size with a sweet outside shot, agility, and INTELLIGENCE. If you have seen or read the interviews, the quotes, etc., one thing comes clear. This guy is smart. The current team is not a group of rocket scientists (no pun intended). Few Shane Battier's on this roster. Therefore, you have it. Draft Godzilla and let the games begin! (Check my spellings, so you can get back at me!) ;)

20. lovethisgametoo

I think Rockets should draft Yao. He may not become a GREAT player, but certainly he is the best fit Rockets can get with a top pick, this year.

Other aspects I know about Yao:

- He can speak pretty good English. I read that in his Shanghai team, he sometimes interpreted for the two American players.

- He certainly has a high level of confidense (no like Wang) about his ability and potential. He once said that K Brown owes me a dinner for becoming the top pick of 2001 ( "if I was there, it was me" -- I think this is what Yao wanna say).

- He is very smart and very quick learner. You will agree with me on this if you take a look at his development in the past four years since he became pro.