1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dikembe Mutombo Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketaggie89, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pondbear

pondbear Member

very impressive

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm in awe of the man. He was Deketacular tonight!

3. cst_chenchen

cst_chenchen Member

Wow, I can't believe that Uncle Mu can get 10pts, 15rebs, and 5 blocks. Impressive...

4. Yakapo

Yakapo Member

I hope we at least play him a little when teams are effectively fronting Yao out of the game.

5. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

is Mutombo alright for one more season!!!!!!!

6. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Member

Much Love To Deke!

7. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

That's Big Ben #'s right there back when he was defensive player of the year :cool:

G:DTemCoach

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Love Ya Blue, errr Mutombo.......

9. yearning

yearning Rookie

Resign Deke with a 5M/3year contract please. :D

10. Chamillionaire

deke's got a another year left in the tank, sucks he's retiring, hopefully we can get a legit backup to yao.

11. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Been saying all along that we could've used him more throughout the season. Rick now decides to use him for more than 2 mins with only 2 games left in the season. :rolleyes: He should definitely get some minutes in the playoffs but I don't see Rick using him unless Yao goes down.

12. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I've always preached giving Mutumbo backup minutes. Right now our big man rotation is Yao, Scola, Landry. But it should be Yao/Deke and Scola/Landry. Deke should always come off the bench ahead of Hayes unless we're up against mobile PFs/Cs.

Free Deke and let the man own the paint!

13. mi0304

mi0304 Member

The salary he earns is already worth by his cheerleading, giving passion to the team and being a mentor of team. And that's not all he can do. He still can block, rebound, and play 35 minutes.

Thank you Deke, you reestablished my respect for the forties which Roger Clemens the steroid had brought away.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Them kids. They never learn.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Turiaf was matched up against Mutombo much of the night and was equally impressed. At one point in the fourth quarter, Turiaf began peppering Mutombo with questions.

"I was like, 'Man, you're pushing me and doing all those things to throw me off- balance and the ref is not seeing it. How do you do it?''' Turiaf said. "So during the game (we) were chatting about defense and it was pretty good. If he wants to play until he's 55, he's going to play until he's 55.''

"I have no complaints about the game,'' Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "We fought hard and stayed in the game ... but it wasn't to be. Mutombo came in and had an unbelievable performance and was a tremendous factor in the game.''

"It's really remarkable,'' Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "He was really a factor around the rim. You just can't give him enough credit for the way he can step in and play like that. He's an amazing athlete.''

http://www.nba.com/games/20090410/HOUGSW/recap.html

Sigh, If only Yao would pick up some of Deke's tricks.

17. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Man Mutombo must have a fountain of youth the guy is an ageless machine i hope he plays with us for one more year

18. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

That was hilarious. :D

These young kids definitely should learn. They probably see Deke as some over the hill player who can barely move around, and thought it would be nice to get a dunk on the second all-time blocker. What they forget is you don't get 3000 blocks by athleticism alone. With his timing and instinct, Deke could still get some blocks without leaving the ground.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

didn't watch the game but saw the box score. Dikembe is freaking awesome.. Wow. glad we got the win :D

20. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

wow.
    deke is amazing!

can't wait to see him do that in the playoffs.