1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao/Howard comparison on ESPN 1st and Ten

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RMGEEGEE, Mar 31, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

It's about to come on!
    Lock, if already posted.

2. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

Recap: (I dont know the names of the people)

Guy on right: Dwight Howard scores more points, gets more rebounds, and more blocked shots, so hes better than Yao. He is also more physical.

Girl on Left: In the PLAYOFFS, she would prefer Yao Ming because he is dependable in the 4th quarter. He can close out games and that is something Dwight Howard can't do. Dwight does not demand the ball.

3. RMGEEGEE

Recap:
    Question: Currently, who would you rather have on your team?

I don't remember the older guy's name, but he's the one that likes to talk a lot, and argue. He basically said he would take Howard based on the fact that Howard is averaging more pts, rebounds, and blocks. He believes that Howard is more physically tough.

The other reporter said she would take Yao Ming based on the fact that playoffs are approaching and she would prefer Yao because you can give him the ball in the fourth quarter and expect good things, due to his shooting touch and free throw percentage.

And then the host guy was like.. "Well let's compare playoff success" uhh "1 to zero. Nevermind."

4. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap. Did they happen to mention head-to-head matchups where Yao effectively owned Howard?

And I think the phrase should have been "Yao is more dependable than Howard in the fourth." There are plenty of threads here on Yao's effectiveness/ineffectiveness in the fourth.

5. RMGEEGEE

Of course, nobody knows about when Yao dominated Dwight earlier this season.. It's ESPN. Sometimes, the stuff they say about Houston makes me wonder if they even watch basketball. TNT is also pretty bad as well. At least Charles.

6. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Howard didn't do jack last year to help his team get past a lowly Toronto team. Hedo was the MVP of that team last year.

7. AAAproduction1

WHO CARES.. ESPN sucks

8. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Meh it's an opinion thing.

My opinion is they are both good at different things and they both just need a certain type of team around them.

Dwight needs a fast pace team w/ 3 pt shooters.

Yao needs a slower paced team with 3 point shooters

It's true that in the 4th Yao is better and Yao dominants Dwight, but there have been times Yao has been dominated by 6'9" forwards, it doesn't mean someone is better or worse because of that, it is a how you matchup thing. Dwight is still better at least at getting boards + blocking shots and def. athleticism.

I think they are both franchise centers, but completely different styles they just need to stop comparing because it is impossible to say who is better.

9. Steve_Francis_rules

The head-to-head matchups are only relevant if their teams are playing each other in the postseason, which is very unlikely.

10. dragonz

dragonz Member

Skip Bayless
    LOL

this guy knows nothing about basketball, he is a baseball hoe.

11. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

Bayless is one of those guys that thinks hes the greatest debater alive.

Howard plays in the EC which has no good C or big men except KG... Yao plays against Shaq, Duncan, Bynum/Gasol, Al Jefferson, and much more physical players which is not a good matchup.

12. yxgemini

yxgemini Member

this revealed an interesting fact: when clutchfans whine about Yao's clutch time performance, people out there(at least one on TV :) )think he is more clutch than NBA's mostly-agreed best center.

I like Dwight despite his 4th Q. disappearance. he is the more conventional, purer center than Yao. this kind of centers don't make clutch time one man show. in fact, for all kinds, few centers does. that's guards/swing men's job.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I guess putting up 23/18/4 bpg in that series is doing jack. Get out of here with that biased crap. He had a 20/20 game in three out of the five games in that series. He absolutely dominated their frontline. He's the sole reason Toronto felt they had to get someone like Jermaine O'Neal: to have a big defender to neutralize him like Detroit did.

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

But its Toronto. I dont even think they were above .500 last year. Then they get absolutely destroyed by a Detroit Pistons team where Billups was playing injured.

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

by that you mean people who doesn't really watch the game but come on to TV talking?

16. yxgemini

yxgemini Member

by that I mean people who don't hang on a bandwagon BBS on a regular basis. I guess the female talker does watch some Magic games, since she knew about DH's constant 4th Q. inertia.

17. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I wonder how many times they are going to compare them. All you basically have to do is look at Head to Head match-ups. Even though I believe it isn't fair to compare them since one is in the easy East and the other is in the tough West. Let the play in the same conference and then it would be a good idea to compare. Also its not like it matters. No one has really one the true prize.

Since they are both #1 picks you can easily say Yao has had the better career. His resume consist of All NBA Teams, 7 year All-Star , MVP consideration. I mean Yao has turned alot of heads. Ask Barkley :D

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

The fact that it is Toronto doesn't matter. That clown earlier in the thread said Dwight Howard did nothing to help his team get past the Toronto Raptors which was proved untrue.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yao was better last year than Howard and Yao has improved more since last year than howard. Case closed. Yao will dominate in the playoffs this year. You can't hack forever without someone noticing. Oh did I mention Howard is a better dunker.

20. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Sure, its untrue. But its also the Raptors. In the Yao v Howard debate, I wouldn't use "well, he spanked the Raptors, a team known for weak interior D". I wanna see Yao or Howard's teams beat a team that won more than 50 wins during the regular season before we start talking about playoff success for either guy.