1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Landry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Mar 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

From a function today, we were told a nice time frame to see Carl back on the court would be still a week and a half to 2 weeks. They just don't see a need to rush him back.

But in the end, it will be up to Carl and the trainers.

2. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

The most important things would be playoffs. I'm glad Landry will be ready for playoffs, that's when it matters.

3. tsunami

tsunami Member

I heard he would appear on court for the shooting case, his attorney would accompany him....

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

5. RigoRocket

RigoRocket Contributing Member

6. RedRaiderRocket

Yep posted on the chron as well that Landry practiced.

The time to express understanding and sympathy had passed.

Carl Landry needed the normalcy he had missed. He needed to be a player, rather than a victim, again. He needed to have teammates mock, instead of console, him.

He returned to the Rockets practice on Monday for the first time since he was shot nearly two weeks earlier, and found little had changed. He stretched with the team, went through some shooting drills and smiled happily while teammates kidded him about coming back after the road trip last week to still snowy Salt Lake City but in time to go to Phoenix and Los Angeles this week.

"Carl is as happy go-lucky as they come," Shane Battier said after he and Landry completed their appearance at the team’s Driveway Challenge event at the home of contest winner Lisa English of Stafford.

"The enthusiasm is infectious. A great guy to be around. Obviously, what he went through was an unbelievably traumatic situation and it’s our hope to bring some normalcy back to him and the best way to do that is get on the court and joke with the guys, and get back to competition."

Landry had been around the Rockets only once – when he attended the last minutes of the morning shootaround March 18 – since the incident. He spoke that day about the events before and after he suffered a gunshot wound in the lower left calf early March 17. Visibly shaken, he had said, "I’m blessed and lucky to be alive."

On Monday, he ran on a treadmill at Toyota Center, played with a group of teenagers on a suburban driveway and said he had suffered "a minor injury."

"It’s going to be hard, but I’ve done a good job of not thinking about it." Landry said. "I rarely ever think about it anymore because it’s in the past. You have to move on to the future. There’s better things in life for me. There’s greater things that God has for me. You can’t dwell on the past. You have to prepare for the future.

"I’m a strong-minded person. That’s something that happened. You move on from it."

Monday was an important day in that process, but just a first step. Neither Landry nor the Rockets put a timetable on when Landry would be able to practice or play, having had little experience with the rehabilitation from gunshot wounds and not knowing how his injury would respond to Monday’s workload.

"Hopefully we’ll get him back, especially toward the end of the season when he can get some games under him before we hit the playoffs," Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. "He’s huge for us off the bench, the energy he gives us, the scoring he gives us, just the whole package. I’m looking forward to seeing how quickly he progresses over the next week. I think he’s going to be able to get through it. It’s got to be a scary experience, but he seemed fine today.

"He seems really in good spirits right now. He came in and was just like the Carl of old. He had a smile on his face and went through some shooting, took a lot of ribbing from the players, and went on to what he has to do to get ready."

In many ways, Landry had already seemed to have already recovered.

"I’m doing fine," Landry said. "I got on the treadmill a little bit, ran for awhile. It felt good. I warmed up with the team a little bit. Didn’t do much, but I’m getting back out there. Just being around my teammates and the coaches and being able to put the ball in my hands again is a good thing.

"It’s always good to be around my teammates. We’re always joking around. We’re all brothers. It was good to see every one of them. It was a lot of fun this morning and I’m sure it will be the rest of season.

"This is fun. It’s a dream come true to be in the NBA and a part of all the activities that go with it."

Back with the team on Monday, Landry reveled in it all, knowing that after nearly everything had changed, nothing had.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6350338.html

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Let's hope that opposing fans don't bring starter pistols, firecrackers or anything else that goes "bang" or "pop" to the games.

8. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

Man, I wonder if scola would have gotten shot, if he would have flopped and act like he was dead?

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I wonder if it was any of the Jazz players if they would have flopped and played dead before the gun was even fired.

10. Hmm

Hmm Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

You know... normally I don't much care for your posts. But yeah, I agree 100%. Not funny.

12. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

I would hold him out until right before the playoffs becasue he comes back with a vengenace after being out for a while. He will be unstoppable :D

13. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

WTF!!

14. Convictedstupid

So is he going on this road trip then?

15. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

ballin shirt! the face is priceless

16. NBA Law

NBA Law Member

LOL! Good one!

17. MONON

MONON Member

When you involuntarily pass out cos you're scared shirtless, that really isn't flopping.