1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting PG Aaron Brooks vs Spurs - 18 shots, 0 assists

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Mar 14, 2009.

1. StevieCrossover

It's ok we traded rafer Alston type of point guard for a younger version of him and now we're starting a jason terry type of point guard. As long as the rockets have Yao Ming I don't see why the rockets would need a true point guard.

2. gamor

gamor Member

As long as the rockets have Yao Ming I don't see why the rockets would need a true point guard.[/QUOTE]

hmm, my thoughts are totally on other side comparing with your view. I believe rockets need a true point guard badly, especially when we build this team around yao.With yao's footspeed and clumsy, those run and gun pg will not fit well with this team. A true smart pg is what rocket really need. Passing ball to yao without turnovers,set up plays for other teammates,break defence with creation. Rocket is still a traditional half court team. Using those open space to nail down shots shall be sg and sf 's job. Prime time Regge miller as sg, Jason kidd as pg is my dreaming blueprint for rocket. This team is still 2 missing piece away from being elite. yao,ron and scola can do
    other 3 positions .

3. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

First off again.... PG is the hardest position in the NBA to learn and AB has been thrown into the Hot Boiling Water...

Now if I pass you the ball 20 times and you don't hit one shot... Is that my fault....

If I take 20 shots and hit 15 does that make me a bad PG?

Now I will agree AB is not a traditional PG and he's a progess in work, but you have to look at things in a lot of perspectives and this is another reason I HATE STATS... They don't always tell the entire truth about things.

4. oldyellow

oldyellow Member

Trade Yao and rebuild Rocket around AB.

5. fffffffaint

fffffffaint Member

We need a real PG!
    And Yao should stand out for more shots!

6. Charlesj

Charlesj Member

Hey this whole thread is pretty bush league. You guys are supposed to be Rocket fans but are always looking for somewhere to point the blame. Sometimes it's just necessary to tip your cap to the other team and say they bested you.It's sports people it happens.

7. Charlesj

Charlesj Member

Amen brother just how Shane has been living off of his reputation for playing defense. If your ahead on the score board at the end of the game you win. He does not contribute enough to the bottom line and the stats back that up as well.

8. OpportunityCost

You think we could throw Adelman in that package?

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

richirich, when people live in the microwave culture, they don't see the bigger picture. That story you told could also be applied to terrel brandon who came in in price latter years. It took him 3 yrs, he was small and he turned out to be a really good pg. There are a lot of johnny come lately type of posters because of their percieved talent of this rockets team. They think yao is shaq or dream, they think battier is a intangible player you can't win without, they think scola is a all star. Well, truth is, this team is farther away from the title than they were before. They're not even in the same zip code with La. In the end, their young players are getting better faster than our young players. Not to mention kobe is always the bst player on the court vs the rockets. I think management have opened their eyes and saw what they need to see. The hardest thing is to be hones with your team. Rafer,tracy, shane are all part of the outgoing administration. They helped get this team in the playoffs, but that time has come and passed.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

When Mike Bibby was traded from Vancouver to Sacramento, he went from averaging 8.4 assists in Vancouver to 5.2 in his first 3 seasons in Sacramento under Adelman.

Adelman's system has no use for a "true," ball-control point guard. His system is built around having 5 guys who can score.

In the Kings' best days, Bibby's assists numbers were barely above the rest of the guys in the starting lineup. So if you think low assists numbers from our starting PG is a big issue, you misunderstand Adelman's offense.

11. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

We're not running the Sacramento offense. Not even close. The last few years it was McGrady and Alston that were racking up assists when we were playing our best.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Some sense to all this madness.

DD

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Shane Battier is an offensive threat! =D

Anyways, I do agree with you, I just hope Brooks isn't reading this forum, because I know he is an internet kind of dude and he probably would get shocked if he saw what some people are saying around here.

14. krockets

krockets Member

Personally, I don't care about much about the assists number... What I concern about is Brooks' low basketball IQ, poor court vision, and defensive liability, something that I haven't see much improvement since his day 1 with the Rox...

Yeah, Brooks can score when he is HOT, but what if he is cold like the last several games? He is such a huge liability in every aspect of the game... Some people told me to be patient, of course, if we are the Memphis Grizzly, I can be patient, but we have a center Yao who is in his prime and will likely to decline in 2-3 years... At the moment, with both prospects in Brooks and Lowry, I like Lowry's chance much better than Brooks...

15. YnMDynasty

YnMDynasty Member

I like Lowry as well !!! We should trade Brooks for Portland's Bayless !!! :eek:

16. RocketClay

RocketClay Member

he was more of a shooting point guard in college, but in all fairness to aaron brooks, he is only a second year player with massive potential. imagine how deadly he would be when he learns how to use his speed and quickness to break down defenses and find open shooters? you also have to remember that shane battier is not having the season everyone has come to expect from battier....so brooks is going to have fewer assists as long as battier isnt making the open shots that he gets.

aaron brooks is what he is...a thin, short guard who will get exposed by the bigger PG's like derron williams...and how many PG's are like derron? not many. teams are starting to go with shorter, but quicker PG's...and its not like an aging Rafer Alston was going to be a better matchup for these PG's defensively.

Give brooks some time. he needs to take his lumps as an every day player and he does need coaching and seasoning....but the potential is definitely there.

17. jdhi

jdhi Member

He's a liability on defense in addition to the fact that he shoots too much. We will not get out of the 1st round if we face one of the better point guards (Williams, Parker, Paul, etc)

18. albuster

albuster Member

Someone pls. list the duties of a PG in the order of importance. If we agree to the list then we can really discuss this thread more intelligently.

I could start the list by placing assists as the first or the second most important duty of a PG. This list should at least eliminate the AB haters, but it would put into clear focus what AB really is or is not.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

There is no single answer, some PGs are there to set the table for everyone else...ala Nash.

Others are combo guys who score and set the table.....CP3, DWill.

Still others are scorers who look to score first and pass 2nd.....T. Parker, D. Harris

AB is a young PG who fits into the 3rd category......

DD

20. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I'm not sure if Brooks for Bayless isn't a lateral move. What we need looking towards the future is a VETERAN starting PG with one of the younglings backing him up. Between Lowry and Brooks, I'd take Lowry in a heartbeat. I'd shop Brooks to see if we could get that PG, or a backup 2 like a Barbosa. With Bibby available as a FA, I'd go after him.