1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Spurs 88, Rockets 85

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 14, 2009.

Tags:
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well he did dive to get that jump ball :D

2. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

brooks is a shooting guard. lowry needs to start and have brooks come off the bench to give the spark. no assist today....reminiscent of rafer alston except that he is a better shooter than rafer

3. 9495

9495 Member

I won't really blame Ron or AB for not making the plays at the end. They have made those plays before, today they just didn't. By design it's a gamble and has a success rate of 40% at best.
    Why is Yao, who everyone agrees is our best player, never involved at the end of close games, except maybe fighting for the offensive rebound? It's not like he is liability in free throw shooting like Shaq. Everytime it's Ron or AB taking the last shot. I am so sick of this. That's a huge problem, totally stupid and unacceptable.
    Can't the coach and his teammates show some respect and learn to trust Yao in those situations?! I would say there is at least a 50% chance of success.
    Clutch play takes practice just like everything else. People used to accuse LBJ of passing up the game winning shots. Look at what he is capable of doing now.
    Throw the damned ball to Yao, and the big man will carry you home!!!

4. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

I was at the game and was screaming as loud as I could at Adleman. For 7+ plus minutes in the second quarter, he went with a line-up of Hayes, Wafer, Barry, Lowery, and Landry. It was the worst 7+ minutes of basketball I have ever seen in my life. What the hell was he thinking? :confused: Why play Barry when Yao is not in the game to draw double teams? Barry cannot get off his own shot, and is only useful if the ball is being kicked out from the post. Barry should be playing only when Yao is in the game.

Funny thing is, even with that line-up Lowery still manages 3 assists over Brooks 0

#204 oschadha, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He got the ball, he just didnt shoot it. All night bullard and clyde kept saying yao needs to shoot and stop passing the ball out. Yao would get the ball, wait for the double that never came, dribble the **** out the ball, pass it to a guy that was covered iup and they would throw the ball back to him. He needs to recognize quicker and just make his move especially when the spurs showed they werent going to double. he took 18 shots, but had like 30 touches if not more because he had like 3 to's or so. He needs to shoot it instead of giving it to a guy like shane in the corner who cant make a play with the ball. This is what teams with size will do to the rockets in the playoffs.

6. MorningDew

MorningDew Member

Agree! Shane is capable to do that every single pocession back as Duke's captain and MVP, he should be able to do that as Rox starter as well.

7. fffffffaint

fffffffaint Member

Now the problem is who makes the last shot. No answer yet.

8. ibm

ibm Member

if durvsa is still doing the video clips (maybe i should, too), you will see what happened in tonight's game.

i know he's got 18 shots. but i say he should've gotten more touches and shot at least 25 times. if it's a single coverage, this is what needs to happen for the rockets.

9. leebigez

I'm not a betting man, but i'm willing to bet that yao had 30 touches at least tonight. He probably had 40.

10. dingaaa

dingaaa Member

brooks 0 assist DOES NOT EQUAL TO STARTING POINT GUARD

11. MorningDew

MorningDew Member

I agree Yao definitely need to shoot more, or even force more of his shots. But, In your logic, you are putting Yao in a role as inside shooting machines, which is reasonabe, but also very predictable for the opposite team to guard him.

I think our ideal offense so far is spread our player on the court and use Yao as the anchor for the whole team to great open spaces for teamates due to his undeniable thread in 1on1 cases. Coach A enjoys balanced attack, so I guess he even encourages Yao to kick it out more during the recent 5 games.

12. amadeus

amadeus Member

Anyone miss Rafer?

13. ibm

ibm Member

in a single coverage, assuming it's normal ~80 possession game, yao needs to be involved and touch the ball (as opposed to just setting a pick) at least 50 times. that means 9 out of 10 when he's on the floor.

14. leebigez

You think yao has the stamina to touch the ball 50 times? You cant play ball like that. thats unrealistic and the offense is going to bog down completly. I'm willing to bet yao touched the ball more than duncan tonight.

15. 9495

9495 Member

The Rox have been competitive and had a chance to win in every single game including the losses since the All-star game, even with the crazy schedule. That's a positive sign. It means they are quite consistent and the team chemistry is good. They just need one more step. If they can solve the problem of the last three minutes of close games, they will become an elite team. Both Ron and AB are willing to take the final shot, but please, get Yao involved at the end!!!
    Like today, Yao was playing well in the fourth quater, getting rebounds and making shots, with no costly turnovers. While he has shown that he is willing to trust his teammates, his teammates got to learn to trust him.

16. leebigez

In a ideal scenerio, the rox offense will look like the spurs. The spurs offense has evolved because cant post up and bang every play and parker is getting better. Duncan is just as effective now because he can play off the blk. Thats what yao needs to learn to do so the baseline can open up. Then in the 4th when the game is tight, he has the stamina or energy to just knife fight down low.

17. ibm

ibm Member

to many's surprise, he does. he often plays a full game on his national team (40 minutes) and the ball goes through him almost every time.

i'm saying getting him involved. i am not saying he must bang his post defender every time. yao has the smarts in the post, like his assist to scola tonight.

lately there were many possessions we didn't involve him at all. when the game becomes a sprint practice for yao back and forth between the 2 ends of the court, that's when he gets tired and rather quickly.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

unfortunately Bullard and clyde also spent most of the night saying Ron should pass.

19. jlwee

jlwee Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AqUhJQCil9n0Obtzrq6SEv.8vLYF?gid=2009031410&prov=ap

"Duncan and Parker scored the Spurs’ final 15 points—and Duncan had assists on Parker’s last three field goals. Parker said he figured out Houston’s defensive strategy in the final quarter, told Duncan on the court and the All-Star duo instantly made the adjustment on the fly.

“They were pressuring me, and I told TD, ‘Take a look on the back door,”’ Parker said. “We just talked about it real quick. It was something that I saw and so we did it on the fly.”

That's an insult to the rockets defensive scheme!

20. dunk11

dunk11 Member

At clutch time:

Lakes on Kobe
    Spurs on DC
    Jazz on Deron
    Hornets on Paul
    Suns on Nash

We...on AB :confused: :confused: :confused: