1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be objective for a moment about Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michecon, Mar 14, 2009.

1. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It's not about starting or benching.

1. Is he quick? Yes, he is, and he has sufficient ball-handling skills.
    2. So, if he is quick, why hasn't he been an efficient scorer/playmaker?
    Because he has one speed, he doesn't know when to slow down, to change direction. To make the matters worse, he doesn't have good court vision. That's why he doesn't usually kick out after penetration. Late against Spurs, he has 4 penetrations, all shots by himself. He scored one, and missed three, in which one is putback by Yao.
    3. Is he difficult or easy to defend?
    Actually he's not difficult to defend because of 2. Any good defensive team with good rotation of bigs will force him throw up a wild shot, getting blocked or clank.
    4. But at least he is a good shooter right?
    Not quite, actually. Maybe he does shoot lights out in practice, but his game shooting percentages are not that impressive. The worst, he is not consistent. If you think you have escaped Rafer, AB doesn't provide much relieve. How many 2-9 games you have seen so far?
    5. How about his defense? Aside from he is too small, he spends too much time trailing behind his man. It's puzzling, for someone who suppose to be quick. He was behind Parker numerous times. Other times, Parker just shoots over him. Parker missed plenty. But late in game, Parker over AB paid off for the Spurs.
    6. Bench him,start him? Aside from it's too late in the season, it's actually not an easy decision. The scoring power of our bench has been pretty consistent. The second unit, especially Landry, needs someone to create plays for them. (Lowry in the beginning of the 4th created 3 straight plays for Scola/Landry, 2 resulted in jumpers for Scola, 1 in Landry being fouled.)

So, what do you do with AB? For people who is saying "PG of future", they apparently hope AB will develop some vision/playmaking ability in the future with more experience. Frankly, I'm not hopeful, I don't see it happening. It's not his natural playing tendency.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

He deserves time to learn.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm not going to argue your point, but some guys develop faster than others. Do you remember how many times Pop used to scream and fuss at parker? Hell, they almost traded parker for kidd the year after winning the title. Brooks is the kind of guard Adelman likes. He's a scoring guard that plays the pg spot. The rox arent winning it this year anyway, so whats the big deal?

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe older Rockets fans can chime in on this. I'd say Aaron's ceiling is Calvin Murphy. A very quick, very small scoring guard.

5. michecon

7. What about the wins we have had with Brooks starting?

That's the most useless stat. Remember you were saying we were 6:0 with him starting? Then it's 16:4? Then it's 16:5? What are you going to cite after another month? The point is, it's the most unstable stats, unlike shooting percentage etc.

Actually one thing is clear with those 16:5, especially in the 5 losses. AB's efficiency would be greatly negated by a good defensive team. He may score enough to win some games, but against good teams, his inefficiency as a PG is glaring.

6. sleepirlo

sleepirlo Member

Learning from bench is better

7. michecon

Aside from some of the fans still hoping they would make a run in the playoff. The big deal is, how do you envision the "future" thing. If this has all come down to a "training ground session", and you have enough doubts about who is the best trainee, why not let someone else has more of a chance in developing?

8. houjianwen

houjianwen Member

he did n't even know how to play the game when only few minutes left

from the game we won phoenix, he learn one thing: throw the ball to the rim if i dun know what i should do

last game vs bobcats , he did

tonight, he did again

that's our STARTING pg

9. Crab_Dribble

Crab_Dribble Member

Especially when wins are as crucial as they currently are.

10. fffffffaint

fffffffaint Member

We need another PG.

11. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

I'm with you, logically.

But my answer for that last question is a though "sorry guys, he can't." Is not valid for a contender team, period. And I don't want him either as starter nor off the bench. I like Lowry off the bench, but I think we need an starting PG.

We don't need Artest, we need a true star and a true starting PG who plays defense and be smart and effective offensively (not necessary a lot of talent). Yao is playing better than ever, and we need to take advantage of these years. Let's not waste them with Brooks at the PG, or resigning dumb Artest, please.

Take care of Yao, we are very lucky for having him.

12. michecon

That's could be a good comparison. I haven't seen much Murphy plays. So maybe someone can give us pointers.

13. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

This is the NBA. Learn play basketball in school, high school and college.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is exactly what I was thinking. Brooks is an SG in a PG body, just like Calvin Murphy was. And you know what? They played him at SG, except for a short time at the beginning of his career. Calvin was consistently one of the top scorers for the Rockets.

I don't think you can learn court vision. You either have it or you don't. Brooks doesn't have it.

He is not a bad shooter. But his fg% is low. There is only one reason for that -- bad shot selection. Shot selection, unlike court vision, I think can be learned.

15. devin23

devin23 Member

The most insightful thread about Brooks i've ever seen. I just don't see how ignorant some people are... They blindly follow him like he's the next tony parker... LOL!!

16. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

He is a good scorer that should come off the bench. Plus, defensively, he is terrible. When you add Parker's 8 assists because Brooks was 3 steps behind him at all times (thus drawing help defense), the line tonight was Brooks' 18 vs Parker's 44 - game, set and match.

17. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NOW ? Right in the middle of the playoff hunt ?

18. ibm

ibm Member

in a better time. not now. especially since lowry has showed consistently having more pg qualities in him than ab.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's a friggen 2nd year player. He's going to make his mistakes, he's basically a rookie and he's about as good as Rafer was.

20. ibm

ibm Member

so why let him "learn" now at the cost of losing games? we're in a playoff push. with ab at the 1, our chances in the first round doesn't look too bright.