1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Starting PG Aaron Brooks vs Spurs - 18 shots, 0 assists

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Artesticles, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It's not like he had 3 or 4 he had 0.

At least 10 of those shots could've of gone to higher a percentage player. Maybe Scola in the middle or Artest on the out side.

I'm not asking him to be Nash, he needs to think.

2. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

Why we need Nash and Tony Parker and DWilliams???

Because we want a 13 points and 10 assists PG.

Not a 18 points short SG.

3. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

when Grant Hill was traded to Phonix, a reporter asked him that who is the most incredible scorer in the league. Grant Hill said definitely Nash, he can score whenever,wherever and in whatever way, it's just he doesn't show it every night...

this might be his own opinion but a veteran's word like that can tell you something. As a STARTING POINT GUARD, your major task is always to organize the offense and that is basically reflected in you ASSIST numbers. Brooks's major deficit is he is "SCORE MINDED" and only passes when he can't score(sometimes even doesn't pass the ball). he could be a nice back up PG with the 2nd crew but if he goes this way and keeps start, we will win several games but lose a lot more... he can hit some shots but look at the stats, he could even be called a VOLUME shooter now but his FG% is only 40.3%!!!

4. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

AB started to suck after he became a starter. But before that AB was the best bench player we had. Adelman is destroying the effectiveness of all his players, not just AB. He has no idea how to best utilize their strengths and weaknesses and refuses to make the critical adjustments in the game when necessary.

Don't blame the players, blame the crappy coaching.

5. asha101

asha101 Member

Brooks is the worst starting PG in the league, no defense, no assist, shoot poorly, he should play no more 20 minutes a game and from the bench.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Listen to what the Rockets say when they're talking about Aaron and what they want from him. His role is pretty clear. If the ball isn't going into Yao in the post, he's supposed to be aggressive and look for his shot.

Judge Aaron by how efficient the team's offense is when he's at the point, not by how many assists or shot attempts he's got.

7. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I agree, but the question is what do the Rockets need at starting PG? Is 18 shots and 0 assists considered acceptable, or do we need more of a true PG (Rafer)? What Brooks gives us, wouldn't it make more sense to have him coming off the bench? You told us what Brooks does at his best, but is it the best for the Rockets at starting PG?

My personal answer is no. I'm going to be all over this in the offseason, so I'm going to go ahead and say it here. We have GOT to sign a veteran starting PG in the offseason, with Mike Bibby being my primary choice because of his familiarities with Adelman and Artest. If we're able to get him, shop Brooks. He has lots of potential and teams will be interested. Kings and Suns have always wanted him. We need a true backup SG especially if Wafer leaves, so I'd shop AB with fillers. Brooks+Cook+Dorsey for Barbosa works out for both teams and the salaries match. I love Lowry and he should be a keeper.

I thought Rafer was enough at PG, but things changed when McGrady went out. I am convinced that the Alston trade definitely does not happen if T-Mac was healthy, because we'd be one of the top 5 teams in the league. Morey saying we "upgraded the team" with the trade referred to the T-Mac-less team.

8. logicx

logicx Member

Be afraid...be very afraid. Scary stat. Very scary.

Yeah, earlier in the game before Aaron got on fire, he looked and reminded me a little of Rafer. Bill Worrell or one of the guys noted that he's a streaky shooter. What? A streaky shooter, you say? I thought shooting was one of his strong points when comnpared to Rafer! Ahhhhhhhhh! I couldn't stop thinking about how screwed we really are if he turns out to be a streaky shooter.

Although this could all be a knee-jerk reaction to his not shooting great recently...

Maybe.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, I think its safe to say that Chris Paul would be better for the Rockets at starting PG. So it is not the best.

Is he better than Lowry for our starting PG? Based on what I've seen so far, I like Lowry more at the point, and I'd like him running the show more in crunch time. Who starts doesn't really matter as much.

10. santawood

santawood Member

Stop blaming Brooks. He is the future superstar and this team is going to build around him. You should never blame a superstar.

11. rocket 521

rocket 521 Member

stupid Morey and Adleman
    :)

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Dear GOD. This is exactly what we heard about Alston after every game.... I am waking up to groundhog day here...

Worst PG in the league? PUHHH LEEEEAZZZZE.

13. supdudes

supdudes Member

how about NOT taking the last shot?

14. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Too bad Yao is not Duncan type of player. He needs people to feed him the ball in the post. Brooks has no idea how to pass to Yao in the post.

15. ibm

ibm Member

nothing wrong with that. brooks is what he is.

but this is also the very reason why he should NOT start.

my patience with aaron has completely run out. if he wants to learn and will, fine. but it is not the right time for a second year guy to learn in the midst of a playoff push, much less in the playoffs.

aaron's ability to orchestrate an offense as a starting pg, and ron's 1-on-5 save-it-all-for-the-team antics are the 2 big worries of the team roght now.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is how many 1 asst games parker had his 2nd yr starting.

1 25 20.215 2002-12-18 SAS @ SEA W 1 39 9 17 .529 0 1 .000 4 4 1.000 1 1 2 1 0 0 6 3 22 8.2
    2 37 20.240 2003-01-12 SAS BOS W 1 38 5 14 .357 0 3 .000 2 3 .667 0 1 1 1 1 0 3 3 12 1.6
    3 54 20.279 2003-02-20 SAS @ DAL L 1 35 5 9 .556 2 3 .667 1 2 .500 2 4 6 1 1 0 2 6 13 8.2
    4 64 20.301 2003-03-14 SAS LAC W 1 17 4 8 .500 2 4 .500 1 2 .500 0 2 2 1 0 0 0 3 11 6.7

Parker played 30+ mins on the spurs and in 4 games he had 1 asst. People are expecting the guy to be a finished product and he's not. Plus his job on this team is to score. The spurs never left scola tonight, and he struggled against whomever at the 4. They never left Battier and he took 1 shot. They songled yao and he played well, but he didnt drop 30 which is what he should do when teams single him.

17. houjianwen

houjianwen Member

lost this game is not bad for rockets

cuz ab has to learn how to pass the ball to others instead of shooting

when we won that lucky game on phoenix , i know one day we gonna pay back. Because we have a weak pg, we did n't deserve that winning game!!!

wake up ppl, we can't bet all our chips on brooks

18. skipsu

skipsu Member

all of us can see this team is AB's, and mybe AB is RA's son or something else.

Trade yao to some other team in summer, build another team around AB

19. ibm

ibm Member

by your logic, we single covered every spur as well, why would parker have any assists?

yao should get more shot tonight under single coverage. but it's probably not aaron's fault, since adelman has always emphasized aggressive plays by aaron.

20. houjianwen

houjianwen Member

here is one thing for brooks-lovers

he did n't even know how to play the game when only few minutes left

from the game we won phoenix, he learn one thing: throw the ball to the rim if i dun know what i should do

last game vs bobcats , he did

tonight, he did again

that's our STARTING pg