1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the rockets have to assess in the off season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jose, Mar 13, 2009.

1. jose

jose Member

Post what you think the rockets need to this upcoming off season, and which problems to assess

I'll begin:
    number 1 and MOST important priority: resign ron artest

seriously, ron has been so great for this team and the team is one or two pieces away from being a very good contender.
    I love the balance in this team, and I'd love it even more when there's a good PG.

number 2: sign a free agent PG. I'm not sure who will be a FA this off season, but I'm sure there has to be someone better than brooks, brooks would serve as a great back up PG.

number 3: trade mcgrady for what they can get, I guess he would also be considered a huge expiring contract so I suppose it's better to trade him near the next trade deadline.

number 4: get a real back up for Yao

2. kerry Mckee

kerry Mckee Member

I think the Rockets priorities are signing Artest, getting a back up center for Yao, and increasing the size(length) of the front line. Too many times against taller teams, the Rockets or out tipped, out jumped and out sized for rebounds. The Rockets have too many 6'6 and 6'7 player and no 6'10, 6'11 sized players like other teams.

3. ebu

ebu Member

Can we not finish the season first and then worry about the offseason??

If anything we should be thinking playoffs first and how we can win, then worry about the offseason

4. jose

jose Member

better to plan ahead imo

don't worry rockets will get out of the first round this time, anything beyond would be amazing, I have confidence in this team now.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree pretty much

I really hope we can get a guy like Michael Redd for tmac. A great shooter who doesnt need to handle the ball. Hopefullt the bucks would be willing to take an expiring contract (tmac) for him. They seemed to be willing to trade a lot of their pieces at the trade deadline this season

6. jose

jose Member

yeah the bucks have a situation right now where they're playing better without redd, he would fit much better in houston.

so would that mean moving artest to SF, redd to SG, then battier off the bench? the only thing I don't about redd is maybe his defense but I'm going off based off what I read/hear about his defense, not actual stats or watching, since the only thing I watch(ed) from redd is his great offensive game.

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

the most important thing would be acquiring a real SG who attacks the basket and scores. we're not getting dwayne wade, so realistically i wouldnt mind having richard jefferson or josh howard, but both of those guys will be 31 by then. joe johnson would be a safe pick but he's not much of a slasher.

8. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

Number 1: Agreed, but do not overpay for him. He is a star player in this league, but not a superstar. Give him money like a Tony Parker, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Ray Allen etc., not money like you would give a CP3, Shaq, Nash, etc. He is a valuable ROLE player. His role is to hit open shots, and play tough D. His role is not to be our third option next year.

Number 2: Slightly agree, but I would only want a point guard who creates on their own (either scoring or scoring opportunities for their teamates). Not another 3 point shooter. I do not care if you can hit the 3, it seems like every player we have on our roster just enjoys launching up 3 minus our post guys. A point guard along the lines of Derrick Rose, Steve Nash etc. (not those actual guys, just their style of play). I think Kyle Lowry, once he gets more time to play, might win the job over AB. The only way AB should keep the job is if he improves on the defensive end. A guy I don't want, is a Baron Davis, just another player who is going to launch up 3s.

Number 3: Disagree, unless you mean trade mcgrady of this year for a healthy mcgrady. Most likely he will be able to come back and play close to his former self. He will take a more limited role. The problem is Artest and Mcgrady need to limit their roles a bit, especially behind hte arch. McGrady needs to drive more and take closer shots, Artest needs to limit his shots and just launch the 3 when he is open. I want Artest to basically take over for what Battier did in years past. He will just be an improved more physical Battier. Back to the topic though, you will not get anything in return for McGrady now. Let him prove himself, and if we feel like we are going the right direction great, if not, even better- because now teams have seen that he is able to play and we at least get value from him.

Number 4: Athletic big, not necessarily a 7 footer. Just someone to complement Scola who has size so that when Yao goes out we don't give up rebounding.

9. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I agree even though it should be thinking of a way to clinch for a playoff spot. We can easily slip and go on a crazy drought and lose lots of games considering we have a tough schedule coming up. Our goal should be trying to make the playoffs, finding a way to win a series for once, aim high and win it all ( seems unlikely :( ) then focus on the offseason. This thread could have been saved for when the Rockets season is officially over

10. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Its funny how in 7 years that this still hasn't be accomplished. :(

11. ebu

ebu Member

This rockets team is too good pull a drought like that
    but then again we blew a big lead against the lowly bulls

anything is possible..

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Deke was a great backup for Yao for three years. I'd argue he was the best backup C in the league his first two years here, even better than Zo in Miami. He's only here for cheerleading now, but in years past he was a force for us on the floor.

13. JSUB11

JSUB11 Member

Seriously, we should be worrying about playoff positioning and match ups, but you're already looking to the summer and what moves need to be made?

14. jose

jose Member

the playoffs are unpredictable and therefore there isn't much to discuss, there is nothing to say other than "go rockets!" and to win games, and maybe talk about better coaching which is in plenty of the threads.

the off season is predictable and there are many things you can talk about, I am interested in not only the present but also the future.

15. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

trade tmac for redd
    trade battier for outlaw
    re-sign artest
    re-sign wafer
    sign sheed using mle

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Did I sleep thru the end of the play-off run?

Trade scenaria? C'mon, guys, let's see what the hard economic facts er the hardwood facts are before trying this chazerai.

17. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Redd sucks.

Hes a chucker. You could get a few good games from him but ultimately, Redd hurts the Bucks more imo.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

1. Upgrade PG.
    2. Get a quality SG and slide Ron to SF
    3. Get a big man to back up Yao who can run the floor, rebound and give up 6 fouls against Duncan, Boozer and those types. A 10 minute a night guy.

I actually believe the PG position is better after the trade but I don't think Brooks is ever going to be an NBA quality PG. Lowry has promise so either get a starter and make Lowry the backup or move Lowry into the starting slot and get a backup who has real PG skills.

Shane can't start anymore. Sorry but he can't. It's time to bring in a starter who can hit a shot.

Brooks, Battier and Hayes can all be moved and I wouldn't shed a tear. If another team needs more then throw Landry in there too but the player the Rockets get in return better be damn good.

19. ebu

ebu Member

What if we win the championship?? Then there wont be much to discuss eh?

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

optimism is great, reality is a b****.