1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Von Wafer: Love the guy, but dude has Tunnel Vision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 12, 2009.

1. mtran

mtran Member

if his shot isnt falling, theres really nothing he can bring to the table. his athleticism can only take him so far, bball IQ picks up the rest of the slack.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I actually noticed last night, after he was unsuccessful at finishing around the rim like you said, he started pulling up for mid-range jumpers. He hit almost all of the. I love him attacking the basket, but he also need to incorporate the mid-range game that he brought to the table last ngiht.

3. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

When he started he did pass it a lot around the paint for easy dunks for Yao, Landry, Scola. Give him more mins. He did have a few nice passes around the paint. Build around Von

4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I said it before and i will say it again...

Wafer is going to kill this team come playoff time....

His play reminds me a lot of Steve Francis and Vinnie Johnson... Very agressive, nice outside shot... But low bb IQ, there's a reason this guy has been from team to team...

5. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Sorry DD, but I have to disagree with you on this one... This is just his style of play and until someone teachs him how to be agressive and stay under control he will continue to do what he's doing.

6. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Guys, once again, I'm knocking only his non-passing out of difficult situations, nothing else. To say that this guy is going to kill us, I seriously disagree with that.

This guy is one of the main cogs that brought this team out of the REEFER/ME-MAC fiasco. He came out of nowhere and ignited passion into this team.

7. Art7

Art7 Member

f it wasent for wafer we would have lost by 20

if u wanna talk about selfish look at artest. He put himself above the team trying to proof kobe that he is a big a baller. Artest was one of the BIG reasons why we lost. guy cant pass the ball. he keep on shooting and shotting and shotting
    atleast wafer take the ball in.

8. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Not sure if the TV showed it, but in the Phoenix game, the team got a steal and Wafer attempted a fast break three, which he air-balled ... I saw Yao get on to him about it. Adelman's solution to control the damage when he is taking bad shots and missing has been to bench him. Wafer keeps playing the same way though so I'm not sure it's teaching him anything.

Wafer is not the kind of bench player that sits there and analyzes how the game is going to see how he can help the team. He's a one track mind and he comes off the bench shooting. I have to say this is the only thing that annoys me about him.

#28 rocketsregle, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

If he makes the right plays, he won't get benched. Scoring or making the right pass will keep him on the floor.

10. Art7

Art7 Member

u right, when wafer gets the ball he will try 2 score
    but artest is the same as wafer
    he gets double team, he will still take a 3
    he can miss 3 shots in the row and he will still go for a 3
    AS artest falling down he will still take a 3 ...
    n
    all of u act like wafer was 1-30
    wafer was 9-16
    and 3 of his shots attempts were lil bit on a rush.
    So, wafer should have been 9-13.

11. ZestFullyClean

He came a long way from 20 points last night to this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9TA4-0JRaM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I9TA4-0JRaM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Translation: dumb play > smart play. I'm not saying Wafer isn't a solid contributer from the bench, he is, and he has loads of potential, but he really needs to open up his drive and kick game.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

i second that

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Just because you are smart does not make you good.........I don't see Bill Gates lacing em up anytime soon.

I agree about the drive and kick...he had a sensational drive and dish to Landry last night underneath.

DD

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

The guy makes bonehead mistakes alot. It's all about minimizing his bonehead mistakes. Sometimes he makes the right play, sometimes he commits bonehead mistakes that leads to turnovers.

He doesn't seem to be the type that learns from his mistakes, cause he keeps doing them.

You just cross your fingers and hope that his good plays outweigh his bonehead mistakes during the course of the game. And that he doesn't commit bonehead mistakes during crucial parts of the game that could turn the momentum against us or in the late 4th qtr.

Did I mention that he makes alot of bonehead mistakes?

16. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

WAFER found LANDRY yesterday for a reverse dunk if you didnt watch it

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

are u clyde drexler? LOL

18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

No, he's a boneheaded commentator.

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Damn, just saw those quotes in your siggy. Nice.

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

as long as artest is in the game with wafer to guard the best perimeter scorer, wafer's defense can be hidden.

i'll take his offense over what shane has provided this entire year. he actually wants to shoot (word to mike james). yes, you wish his IQ was a little better and makes smarter decisions, but he's young. he WILL learn (hopefully).

he gives this team a different dimension in terms of scoring. and you need that in the playoffs.

shane gives us what? an extra body on the floor?

if wafer struggles mightily on defense, then sub battier in. talk to wafer. tell him what he did wrong. then put him back in.

shane right now is not ready to play 30+ mins. he's not ready to play 20+ minutes. let him play 15-18 mins and slowly get his rhythm back. and when he does, then you can play him.

but this shane battier is a LIABILITY on offense. he's a perimeter version of chuck hayes.