1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry as a future leader

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ron from the G, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Last night during the Artest/Kobe scuffle I like how Lowry went and got in Ron's face. I don't know what was said, but the fact that he realized what was going on and what was at stake was a good sign for the future. I don't think Ron was going to do anything, but still Lowry had that leadership quality to go over to a veteran and say chill the f* out. He's only in his third year and hasn't been in the locker room very long, but the situation did not intimidate him one bit.

It's obvious that we brought him in here for the long haul, because of his bang for the buck. I could easily see him developing into that vocal leader in the future that we have lacked for so long. Obviously uncle Mutombo is a leader in the locker room, but he won't be around for long. The next two years of free agency will more then likely bring big changes to the Rockets roster with an influx of new players and if Lowry stays around he could end up a stalwart in the locker room. What do you guys think?

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. I just hope he has the basketball skills to back up his leadership skills!

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He made some nice interior passes yesterday with the shot clock running down. Showed pretty good poise.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm liking him more and more. I still think he should be starting over AB, but I dont want to get into that again... lol. Too many 'who should start at pg' threads already!

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

lowry is f'ing nice.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Lowry is a keeper. All that is true.

7. mtran

mtran Member

if lowry doesnt start next year, ill be greatly disappointed. he runs the offense better with yao, whereas ab is more of a score first pg

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Well, it's too early to tell, but right now I think Lowry should be the starter next season. He's just not the type of player we need in the starting lineup at the moment.

Hopefully, he can develop a three-point jumper in the offseason. Then he would be DEADLY.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

As opposed to an undersized streak shooter who has no PG skills?

10. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I hope he's the starting point guard in the very near future.

#10 rocketsregle, Mar 12, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

if lowry can get his 3pt shooting up to anything mildly respectable (33%-35%)then he will be a perfect fit.

12. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Hope he would be in the not distant future.

And apparently he runs the point better than Brooks does when Yao's on the court.His vision is broader and his passes are awesome sometimes,he just needs time to get fully acquainted with each other.He'll be our future starting PG I guess.

13. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I wish Lowry would be more confident from the 3. I always see him hesitate before shooting which drops his fg% at least 20% every time he does it.

14. pentajigga

pentajigga Member

I think Kyle's attempting to talk down Ron after the initial altercation was a great sign. He's taking charge, not intimidated by Ron.

Earlier I had wondered if he was deferring to Ron when he let Ron bring the ball up the floor (which he does way more than Aaron), but know I think that's just what the coaching staff wants to do.

I think the jury will still be out on how good Kyle Lowry can be until he gets more time under his belt. Being on a winning (read: not memphis) team is a completely different mindset for a player. I think players can change relatively quickly in a winning environment. Some get better (Rondo), some get worse (Mike James).

I'm not holding my breath for him to become a great outside shooter (3pt), but I dont think you need that in your PG. A great driver with a mid-range game is a strong component to a winning team. The 3pt shooting can be left to a strong pass/shoot wing (I wish we had one of those :) ).

Not that he'd fit perfectly (at fits my description at all), but I'd kill for Joe Smith with McGrady's money. Fantasy land, I'm sure. But he scores and blocks shots and is athletic as hell. Paired with battier, ron, scola, yao, kyle... tough to score, and lots of different looks on offense.

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

He's got the most poise on the team. Watch the Utah game where everything was dysfunctional for the Rockets except Lowry down the stretch. I like him, I just was he was a better shooter.

16. Zfan

Zfan Member

He's surely a Solid PG. Moves like Wade when driving to the rim. Exciting to see his one-two power combo with Landry from the bench.

17. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

if he can learn to shoot hes gonna be a allstar... he already has great point gaurd skills and incredible vision and also great defense... hes gonna take aarons job soon unless rick stays loyal to brooks like he does wit most his starters

18. blender

blender Member

Lowry's already shown glimpses but I can see him taking on even more of a leadership role in the future.

He's also shown a lot of poise in pressure situations. At the end of the Denver game, for example, when we kept hitting one of two free throws to let the Nuggests crawl back, he calmly hit two to stop the freefall.

It's hard to believe he's only 22.

19. comehere2

comehere2 Member

i'd love to see a true PG as team leader.

guess we just have to wait and see.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

he's shown something i've seen in PG's in the past.. he's always looking for the pass. Even when the shot clock was at 2 and he had to hoist, his peripheral vision was on the pass and he found Yao for a dunk.

Now, that's great. It means he'll always have great vision and make great passes. But it also makes for a lesser shooter. It means he'll very rarely be 100% concentrated on his shot from the outside because he is constantly looking for a closer/better shot. It's not 100% conscious, but when guys have really good vision, they seem to get caught in that gray area.

You need to concentrate on all aspects of the shot to be consistent. Some guys are amazing in their ability to have that vision and still concentrate on their shot when they take it.. but there aren't many. Kidd comes to mind as another who sometimes shoots poor percentages from the outside when he's trying to be a scorer. But when he realizes that he should only shoot the absolutely wide open 3's (and stop looking for the pass at that point), his standing %age jumped