1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Worrell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Mar 8, 2009.

1. PointForward

PointForward Member

lol no, it's not really true per se, but that's what it seems like he does.. whenever you're listening to a knicks telecast, you can count on learning an SAT word or two that do not pertain to basketball whatsoever but sound smart..

2. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Thinking about listening to a Rockets game without Bill Worrell makes me sad. It's bad enough that I no longer have Jim Foley and Gene Peterson on the radio - don't take Bill from me on TV!!!

I do wish that they'd go ahead and make Bull his full-time partner, tho. I am a huge Drexler fan, but this is one arena in which the Glide can't hold Air Bullard's jock. Bill & Bull are the best current Rockets annoucer team.

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Gurantee you if Les brought Calvin back, Bill would regain his mojo.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BwlwdHktFuA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BwlwdHktFuA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thats great commentating.

4. Chamillionaire

i grew up listening to the guy and still love his commentating. he's not perfect, and he's a lot better than most of the commentators out there.

i do miss calvin though, they made quite a duo.

5. jwayne

jwayne Member

I keep hearing how Bill Worrell is a "homer"... OF COURSE HE IS! He is the Houston Rockets announcer. Who cares about other team news? We can get that from ESPN or other National outlets... Bill is great, I think the guy who started this thread is toooo easily annoyed. :rolleyes:

6. willchiou

willchiou Member

I would love to see Jeff back at houston parternering w/ bill instead of Cylde. Jeff always seems to share some internesting perspective and he has a great sense of humor. Too bad he signed with Espn, I would really love to see him commentating for the rox.

7. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Dude...you are in your own world...you are so off

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yeah, I don't understand the "He's such a homer." Thats his job. He is a local commentator, do you want him to hate the Rockets? I am living in Boulder, CO right now and let me tell you he is still 100X better than the guys the Nuggets put out there. They are the worst in the league imo. But one of their voices is identical to Rick Adelman's, its strange.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Having moved here years ago from the SF Bay Area I can asure you there are way worse announcers. Warrior fans have to endure Bob Fitzgerald, whose nickname there is "giggles" and as recently as this season (a year the W's are blatantly tanking) he had the gall to comment how the Warriors (in yet another lose) had "won the second half." Now that is homerism at its worst.

Their color man is Jim Barnett, a former player that is quite good. Like most announcers, he tends to fall back on a "crutch" sayings (his is "quite frankly...") but he imparts a great amount of technical knowledge about the game and over the years avoided slitting his wrists so that speaks volumes about his professionalism.

Prior to Fitzerald the Warriors had great announcers: Greg Papa and before him, Hank Greenwald and Bill King.

I like Bill Worrall and Matt Bullard. Houston fans are actually quite lucky to have good announcers (Worrall/Bullard, Vandermeer/Ware, Raymond/Deshaies).

10. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Nice comparison. I think prefer Bullard over Drexler most nights, but I do like staying tuned in to hear what Clyde might say next. You never know with him and that's become part of his persona that keeps him interesting.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding, The guy is doing double duty. I love Clyde and have since he was with the Coogs, but give us all a break, as well as Bill, and bring back Murph!

12. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Looks like bill use to date thread creator's mom.....hint the bitterness thread

13. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

The best explaination i've heard this far

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

Bill Worrell is the man. I do miss Calvin but Van Chancellor was a character too. :D Lol.

15. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

You are annoyed at the wrong person because Clyde is the one who brings it up on every freethrow.

16. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Bill Worrell and Clyde are one of the best things about watching Rockets basketball.

17. Coog

Coog Member

Bill's fine - at least he understands the medium in which he's broadcasting and appropriately calls the game - unlike Craig Ackerman. I know it's his first year, and we've been spoiled by Gene and Jim, but he's got to learn that if you're doing radio, you've got to tell the listener what's happening on the court. I don't know how many times he's gone into some commentary about something that just happened, completely missing the action on the court, and then tries to fill in afterwards.

"Scola hits the open jumper...Luis has really become Mr. Consistency for the Rockets over the last 15 games or so - he's become a double-double machine and when combined with the athleticism and (crowd roars in background) energy of Landry off the bench, makes the 4 on the Rockets (crowd roars louder)a force to be reckoned with....and meanwhile, Yao blocked a shot, Battier got the rebound, passed to Artest for the three..."

Craig, please---relay the action on the court! Save the commentary and stats for free throws, out-of-bounds calls, and timeouts.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Clyde is killing me. I would rather have Lisa than Clyde.

Bullard and Bill are so much better. BB's > BC

19. HAKEEM4EVER

HAKEEM4EVER Member

Let's not forget some of his classics..
    "PUCKER UP CHARLES"
    "YAOOOO-ZAAAA"

20. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This makes sense. Good point.