1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How long have you watched the Jazz vs Rockets rivalry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 5, 2009.

Tags:
?

I've seen this Rivalry since..

1. Rudy T vs Sloan

151 vote(s)
    72.2%
  2. JVG vs Sloan

55 vote(s)
    26.3%
  3. Slick Rick (aka Rick the Ruler) vs Sloan

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. dave18

dave18 Member

yeah, that's what they do. they suck. big time.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

And you call yourself a Rockets fan. SHAME ON YOU!

(H)Akeem clocked Billy Paultz back then. A future Rocket legend getting into a fight with a former Rockets "legend". I believe it was in the playoffs. They were heated. :D

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I knew I should have put a pre-Rudy and pre-Sloan option, for the people who owned Zenith TVs.

[​IMG] :D

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

they've had a rotating crew of SF's that pissed me off for a long time

Thurl Bailey and Blue Edwards
    then Ty Corbin and David Benoit
    then Bryon Russell and Shandon Anderson

oh yeah and SG's were annoying too.. Jeff Malone and Jay Humphries before Hornacek came over..

6. Hak34

Hak34 Member

What about the option for Don Cheney, Bill Fitch, or even the Del Harris years?

7. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I was too young to remember Jazz vs Rockets in 90s so I remember the rivalry vs JVG.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to reach out to the new fans (the people you think I divided like Terrell Owens).

Hey, Clutch Crew, can you add another option on my poll?

"Zenith TV" option?

9. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I still have nightmares about the Bearhug Shot!

Stockton's shot shouldn't have counted! What the hell is Malone doing?! :mad:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhDi0Ce_Z5w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WhDi0Ce_Z5w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Oww, man.

I don’t know. They’ve always been a pest in our side, even in the early Dream era. They gave him his first playoff series lost.
    If it wasn’t the Stockton-Malone era (who almost literally put in nail in the coffin for the 90s Rockets), then it is the flopping and illegal defenses (also see Supersonics). If it wasn’t those two things, it was Jerry Sloan. If not that, it was their obnoxious fans with their mook-ish behavior. If none of those things, it was the refs and their questionable officiating. If not that, it was their name … the “Utah Jazz.” If that wasn’t the biggest misnomer of the 20th Century . . . I don’t know what is.

Factoids:

We’ve only beaten the Jazz and Lakers twice (3/4 seasons, we either went to championship or won everything) in a playoff series in the last 25 years, while only managing to beat Seattle once. They’ve beaten us a bunch of times.
    Our rivals have been putting it to us, they’ve beaten us 15 times in the last 25 years. It seems like they take turns eliminating us, since we haven’t been eliminated by any other teams. We’re in special in this category, because I don’t think there are any other franchises with a similar number of playoff appearances have been consistently eliminated by the same teams. Luckily, the years it didn’t happen was ones that we either went to championship (to win everything), or we just didn’t make the playoffs at all.

Rockets defeated by:

Utah Jazz: 3-2 (84-85), 4-2 (96-97), 3-2 (97-98), 4-3 (06-07), and 4-2 (07-08) [5]

Los Angeles Lakers: 3-1 (89-90), 3-0 (90-91), 3-1 (98-99), and 4-1 (03-04) [4]

Seattle Supersonics (defunct, in a sense): 4-2 (86-87), 3-1 (88-89), 4-3 (92-93), 4-0 (95-96), and almost beat us 96-97 with Barkley. [4]

Dallas Mavericks: 3-1 (87-88) and 4-3 (04-05) [2]

I know younger posters (a few older ones), like to reminisce about how great (and clutch) the Rockets were for two years and what could’ve been in the Barkley, but don’t remember few seasons before or after. Most of the players on the first Rockets championship squad were in that situation for the first time, except Dream. In fact, most of squad was consisted of cast-aways and young players, like 86 team. It came as big surprised that we won, especially for the 2nd championship and the Lakers’ demolition in 86. In fact, if it wasn’t the late Dream years, Houston for a good part of the last quarter century have been for the most part a one (round) and done team. 10 of the 15 losses above came in the 1st Round of the playoffs. We also can take away the T-Mac appearances and the Yao ones, and the results still look pretty much the same.

So please don’t panic, beside we are due for at least a championship appearance, before this decade ends :D

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Boozer: Nice Flop Okur! That's how you do it man!

12. Summer Song Giver

I watched it all through the Championship years but the year that solidified the rivalry was the year we had the Chuckster and they put us out of the playoffs, before that the Sonics were the most hated team.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The earliest ROCKETS' game I remember I attended at THE SUMMIT was Karla's Jazz. Karl Malone drove it into the paint, Dream made him eat it and Karla fell to the ground. It was the most POWERFUL block I have ever seen. Eff you KARLA and the 0 rings you have.

:confused:

2-1 ROCKETS lead. Watchutalkin'bout, Yoyo? :p

14. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

the whole stockton(screw him)/malone(screw him)/hornacek (very good player but i loathed him) era.

15. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i never hated the sonics. i thought they were an awesome team and fun to watch when they werent playing us. payton/kemp/schrempf. kemp was a madman and his dunks were freakin great.

i respected them. we just never had an answer for them. the jazz on the other hand. no such artistry watsoever except flopping. and hornacek wiping the side of his face to say hi to his kids during his 1000 free throw attempts per game against us.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sloan is evil. He's a damn fine coach, but he's evil. Every team of his plays the same way. The Jazz are The Stepford Team... automatons that dance whichever way Sloan pulls the strings.

And their broadcast team SUX!

17. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

When we beat em 4-1 in 94

Seems like the new group is intimidated before they even step in the Delta Center :(

18. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

hmmmmm.....the official "I hate the utah jazz" sight no longer has a disclaimer that the webmaster no longer hates the Jazz. The hate is there again!!!!! I love whoever created that sight. I just wish they would update it to include the late 2000 incidents. Very good read for people who don't know the history of Sloan. just google I hate the utah jazz for much anger and fun!!!

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I'll admit, the Stockton 3 is my very first concrete sports memory in general, as I was like 7 or 8 at the time. It's like how everyone remembers exactly where they were when 9/11 or the Kennedy assassinations happened - I was in the living room with my dad, uncle, and little sister sitting on the white couch and so and so on.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I attended that game when I was 8 years old and I cried after that shot. I was screaming during that whole ****ing play, even I could see that damn moving screen, I was ****ing 8