1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans match offer for David Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Khal80, Mar 4, 2009.

1. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

I'm guessing next year will be an uncapped year.

2. Win

Win Contributing Member

I think it's an excellent move. Not much off the bottom line for such a dependable player. Plus, it shows some willingness on the Texans behalf to build a real team and reward the players that have come thru for them in the past.

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'm up for them spending the extra 750K instead of using a draft pick for the same position. Plus we know exactly what we're getting this way.

4. surrender

surrender Member

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I have a feeling if Walter has a year like he did in 08 that someone is going to offer him a nice contract. I think he will test the market and get more than what the Texans will offer.He could be the #1 on a few teams in the league (Eagles, 49ers, Raiders, Titans, Jags and Bears)

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Isn't 2010 the uncapped season? I hope so, that way we can lock up everyone that we really need.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'd take our top 4 receivers and TE over any other team's 4 receivers and TE.
    Good signing. Once the defense gets better...Bad things for other teams.

8. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Uh... No.... Kevin Walter is what he is and thats an okay #2 receiver. However DA is like Wes Welker light, hence the reason the Broncos wanted him.... The Texans should take notes from the Pats on how to better utilize this guy.

9. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

DA isn't like Wes Welker light, he is more of a different brand of soda. Anderson doesn't have near Welker's speed, which is why Welker gets thrown the ball as much as he does. Anderson can make a good catch here and there but he has never shown anything close to being able to make that many yards after the initial catch.

10. u851662

Combine Numbers,

Wes Welker ran a 4.65 -40 - David Anderson ran a 4.57 -40

Wes Welker Combine numbers

David Anderson Combine Numbers

There speed and skills are almost identical, however the Pats know how to get the most out of there players, how to play to there talents. The Texans will try to get the ball to Andre on almost every possesion (and so they should he is a beast). However it just shows the two teams with a different philosphy. You better believe that Josh McDaniels sees the same thing in David Anderson as he saw in Wes Welker when he was the Pats - O.Coordinator.

Also it helped Wes Welker to get to play for a Team like the Patriots, they even have similar stories. Wes played for a sorry Dolphins squad and then got picked up (traded I think) to the Pats.

David Anderson first couple years was for a sorry Houston team, got signed to an offer sheet by the same person responsible for getting Welker to New England, only the Texans were smart enough to match it. You better believe this ordeal was a wake up call for Kubiak and richard smith.

#30 u851662, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Combine and real game performances are two different things.

So far from what I have seen of Anderson trying kick returns and as a receiver, he has yet to show me anything beyond above average speed when the ball is in his hands. He showed some good evasion but nothing that I would warrant him being called Welker light other then both being smaller receivers.

12. u851662

No doubt combine and real game performance are two different things. I pointed out the numbers to debunk what you said below:

You said:
    "Anderson doesn't have near Welker's speed, which is why Welker gets thrown the ball as much as he does."
    FALSE

Wes Welker gets thrown the ball as much as he does because he plays for the Patriots. When you play for the Pats love or hate Billy B. his offensive system is proven and second to non in the NFL. He also has a way in bringing out the best in his guys, see: Jabar Gaffney. lots of people said Randy Moss was washed up before he arrived in N.E. And Wes Welker was NOT a house hold name before he arrived in N.E. Being in the right system makes or breaks 90% of the guys in football. So yes I stand by my what I said, David Anderson could be Wes Welker light. I think Josh McDaniel would agree hence the offer sheet.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Awesome, I am surprised and happy. The dude was a tuogh little guy.

14. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Welker aint fast but look at that shuttle time for Welker compared to Anderson. Shuttle time shows how agile/quick you are and that's why he's done so well as a slot WR.

15. u851662

Yes, look at the shuttle drill as well as the 3 cone drill. Wes was faster in the shuttle, but David was faster in the 3 cone drill. Look there combine numbers are pretty similar, but David was faster in 2 out of the 3 drill times posted. All I am saying is "I" think David Anderson can be used similar to Wes Welker. And thats why Josh McDaniels wanted him. Wes Welker "LIGHT" the light is because David Anderson still has to prove it on the field. Kubes needs to get the kids some plays.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Kevin Walter is better than any wideout on those teams I listed which would make him a #1 on those teams.Im not calling him Andre Johnson but Walter can look any receiver on those teams I listed and say he is just as good.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Eagles: Desean Jackson, Kevin Curtis
    Raiders: Ronald Curry, Javon Walker (it's the QB holding them back)
    Titans: Gage, McCareins
    Jaguars: Jerry Porter, Matt Jones, maybe even Reggie Williams
    Bears: Brandon Lloyd (did well when he was healthy last yr), Devin Hester (started to break out in yr 1 as a WR, again when healthy), mayyyybe even Marty Booker

Some of the guys listed are better than Walter... and for the rest, I don't think you can say "Walter is definitely better than _____"

49ers I'll give you. But I think they'll sign someone else who's more than a "1b/2a" rather than giving Walter bigger money and making him their #1

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i wouldn't trade kevin walter for a single one of those guys. porter, jones and williams? seriously? javon freaking walker? devin hester!!??!...

wow.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That was disturbing.....

If you are still looking.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35og1Ha1q8Q&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35og1Ha1q8Q&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I might give you DeSean Jackson but there is nobody on that list I would consider a better wideout than Walter. Hester is faster and more exciting but is not a better receiver than Walter right now.JaVon Walker is washed up, Brandon Lloyd (Please), Jerry Porter??? Yea he's just been cut twice in the last 3yrs, Reggie Williams a 1st round bust, Matt Jones ditto. Jackson is the only one that Kubiak would give up Walter for.