1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Adelman, Yao bad fit, team may shop Yao this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

If the next 2 years is a playoff bust, bring in Tom Thibodeau as the HC.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Newsflash: SI has little respect for the rockets. To quote these competitors as sources of "news" and stir trouble up for us is not surprising in any way.

Is there any truth at all to any of it? Well, it's questionable whether Rick and Yao are a great fit, but I think with time they can make it work. To say this team is defunct or going nowhere at this point is to ignore how well they've done through such a great amount of distraction and setbacks.

Let's see if they retract this opinion when the post season gets here and NO ONE, I mean NO ONE, wants to face the Rockets. We are heating up, in my opinion, and while we might not be the most talented team, they are showing heart, and the system IS starting to work to a large extent. Maybe it's more of an option, as the second team seems to fit the fast pace better, but I don't think that means Yao and Adelman are unable to come up with solutions for him to help the team win.

I also agree with Rocket River and Smoothie, when JVG got here, people wondered why a 7'6" guy wasn't more dominant around the rim, and they forced it, only to find that, while he can be good inside, he is more a finesse player than his size normally would dictate, and he has a good shooting touch. He seems to still be trying to make that happen, but maybe it's time to let that go just a bit. Let him play high post. Maybe it means we need more size so our interior D doesn't suffer if that's the case... whatever, but I don't think it's a case of "These two can't make this work."

My guess? Adelman will find a way and the team will continue to gel, and when we advance this post season, without one of our superstars, people will be praising how he, Yao, and this team, pulled it off.

Just my guess. I could be wrong, but I believe it.

3. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

this is BS. Unless I see Yao getting fewer minutes on the floor, but the oopposite is happening. Again, BS.

4. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Hope Gundy will still be available that time. :D I'd love to see what he can do with the current roster.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm not sure why guys are trying to figure out if this is "true" or not.....of course it's true, it's only saying that people around the league think Yao should be shopped. that's it. It's not saaying houston will hop him, or Houston has said it will or might. It's simply what someone out of the organization suggested they should do. It's stupid, a non-story, and pointless.

6. joesr

joesr Member

But I could have sworn I heard that Les or Morey wanted a up style fast paced team like Phoenix (used Phoenix as an example). Did anyone else hear this before? And if thats the case maybe they are gonna try for someone else? If the the Chinese market is that important to Les then a 3 way trade to get Yi (nets) and Ming (LA) to Houston, hahah.

7. redao

redao Member

A Yao-led team can only give you this much.

trade Yao and let the rebuilding begin if you feel 13 years of failure is enough.

8. lalala902102001

This whole story came from "an Eastern conference scout" and "an Eastern conference GM" -- that pretty much tells you how credible it is.

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Yao will not get traded ever.

Yao probably makes Les more money (or enough) per year than he is paying Yao.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

WHAT A MISLEADING THREAD TITLE. A a scout says they might see what the market it. Do you know what the term shopping means? It means trying to trade a dude.

11. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

EPIC FAIL article from SI

12. thesaint

thesaint Member

Dumbest thing ever read. "Great coach, great player bad mix"????? So i guess Jordan-Jackson, Wade-Riley, Duncan-Popavich, Shaq/Kobe-Jackson is a bad mix??? SI is just looking for new stories to write about n make sh..it up.

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I would like to see an article that quantifies that. I see those Chinese company billboards at the games and noticed Les had some Chinese officials at one game promoting some new charity but I have not seen it in writing as to how much China company revenue sources mean to the Rockets.

Yao is an interesting case as far as the 2010 FA market. You never hear his name as one of the names that teams are clearing cap space for its always Wade, LBJ or Bosh. I think that shows that the majority of teams think of Yao as a glorified role player rather than a franchise player.

14. ibm

ibm Member

exactly.

adelman is a great coach. but i was a little uneasy when he was hired by les. the decision was made in a hurry and i thought rick's style might not fit yao's. but it doesn't make sense to let yao go before adelman if one of them has to go. good coaches come and go, great centers are much more rare to come by.

overall i see this a non-issue as i think adelman has tried to adjust to yao and integrate yao into his system fairly well.

15. littlefish_220

I never understand why Bosh is so hyped up. He is younger, and he has good numbers. But look at this year's Raptors, they are second to last with a team full of talents- a very good pg, a center with good shooting, and some decent role players. And with no doubt he is considered the leader of the team.

Where is the leadership or promise of success you see from this guy?

16. blender

blender Member

Pure speculation.

Even the article states there has been no indication that the Rockets are looking to trade Yao or get rid of Adelman.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Never liked him for "this team" - what does that mean? "This team" is almost completely different from when he took over.

"Hasn't worked here"? What do you have to support that? 22 in a row isn't a sign of something that works? How is Yao not fitting in?

Sigh. Again, a lot of the personnel was brought in since Adelman got here or specifically for Adelman. This makes no sense. Too bad Van Gundy didn't have Brooks, Wafer, or Lowry? If he was here, none of those guys would even be here. Adelman wanted to draft Brooks, Wafer wouldn't have made the team, and Alston would probably still be on the team, so no Lowry. Scola and Landry probably wouldn't have seen as much time on the court due to an over-emphasis on defense, had they even been acquired.

I can understand a JVG infatuation. That's nothing new. But please try to make more sense.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IF JVG WAS HERE . . WE WOULD NOT HAVE OUR CURRENT ROSTER
    so
    WONDERING or HOPING about what he could do with it moot

Scola, Landry, Ab - would not have developed sitting on the end of JVG's bench . . .if there were here are all. He would have pushed to trade them for Clarence Witherspoon

Rocket River

19. ibm

ibm Member

rebuild? going out shopping without a plan sounds real stupid.

if you have a plan in mind, let's hear it.

20. ibm

ibm Member

it's whoever-gets-the-stats-who-is-automatically-really-good hype. absurd, but don't be surprised.