1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guess who shoots better than Novak from downtown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Mar 1, 2009.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ron Ron is shooting is 41.5 percent from the 3 pt line this year. Its the best on the team and significantly better than T-mac's best year. It also better than any year Battier has had except for his first year in Houston. So why are we b****ing that he shoots it so often?

2. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

bandwagon much?

3. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

He tries too much to shoot over a double/triple team instead of passing to a open teammate. Those shots frustrate the hell out of me since I know he is capable of making good passes.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Because he's not Yao - didn't you hear? :p

5. rockbox

Considering I've been expressing my man love for Artest since he before the brawl. I wouldn't consider it bandwagoning. I guess you wouldn't know that since you've only been on the board for a year.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is playing like a star on both ends.

He needs to just relax sometimes though and not try to do to much.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

As long as Ron is open, I am perfectly fine with him taking all those 3's. It's when he's closely guarded that it becomes a problem. He doesn't have the athleticism or dribbling skills to create the separation necessary in those situations. I'd rather have him fumble the ball on a desperation drive to the basket than throw up a contested, off-balance 3.

Better yet, he could pass the ball.

8. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Because after he makes a couple of shots in a row, he starts taking some of the most ridiculous, off balance shots I've ever seen any nba player take. Far worse than T-mac's heatchecks. If he would stick to normal shots, he'd hit at a great percentage. Instead, he acts like me when I'm screwing around at the gym. He's big and clumsy, yet he tries to move around and pull moves like he's Kobe.

9. rockbox

But don't we have to take the bad with the good, like Yao's butterfingers and his attempts at taking charges, Tmac's heat checks, Drexler's slippery shoes, Cassell's matador defense . No one's perfect except Dream.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When he plays within the offense he is great, when he goes one on one....he is average.

DD

11. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

I don't cringe when Ron shoots the 3. THat's been a big part of his game for a few years now. THe problem is when we need a bucket badly and Ron puts his blinders on and doesn't look to pass.

12. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Correct. I like this post.

13. mich

mich Member

Being 41.5% is not very bad, but that won't bring team win. Other team focused on Yao, not Artest, that is why he has so many chances. You have to have a balanced attack to win.

14. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Well he hasn't been shooting well until recently...until Tmac is out. He's shooting better now like the Artest we seen in the past and even better.

His strength is still going to be posting up and abusing people inside...which is what he did today after forgotten about it in the Bulls game. I guess he read this board.

15. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

I dont know if i can be satisfied about a 41% 3pt SHOOTER when he is shooting 39.9% overall. He is an efficient 3 pt shooter, but i'd rather have a 35% 3 pt shooter that shot 50% overall.

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Admittingly I didn't know his percentage was that high, but when he takes shots like he did at the end of the 4th quarter bulls game, it's hard to make an argument for him.

17. worzel gummidge

The Houston Rockets, where good shooting is mistaken for exceptional shooting, because sub-40% numbers in the backcourt are the norm.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yup, for the Rockets 40 is the new 50.

Its not shots so much but the TYPE of shots. Artest could very well be 43% on 3's without all the uncessary chucks. Per 100 attempts there has to be at least 5 attempts that had NO chance of going in. Of all the comparisons to how he brings Mad Max type attributes, his off balance one legged 3 point heaves is where he's most similar.