1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post-Game Analysis: Rockets 105, Timberwolves 94

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 1, 2009.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah I know, Shaq and Dwight are doubled also. So are elite PFs. This is not something unique to Yao Ming.

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Unreal. The rockets play a great offensive game and a great defensive 2nd half and all the post game commentary is primarily whining over Yao's minutes.

1) Adelman was working on the fronting problem in a game situation. This idea of "punishing" Yao is beyond preposterous. You can't simulate it nearly as well in practice and you can't work on it without repercussions in tight games.

2) Yao played 35 minutes, that's right at what he should play most nights. If he can't handle it, he's not cut out to be the guy to build your franchise around. I see no reason he can't handle the grind.

If it was me I'd try talking about the defensive lockdown in the 2nd half, or Yao's career night in blocks, or the team's offensive game of beauty. That is what should drive conversation, instead of all the nitpicking in a dominant effort.

Lastly, about last night's reactions. No team wins every game, and while being frustrated is normal, you can't forget the 6 game winning streak that preceded it. Especially the dominant showing at home vs the Cavs. Keep things in perspective is my suggestion.

3. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

Is Dwight 7'6 or 7'5? You tell me!

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The bulls game IS the sixers game :rolleyes:

5. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

Yao's is too responsibility-oriented - this is his strong point and also his weak point. He would give you 100% even though he is too tired. Imagine he jumps with tired legs and lands on somebody's foot we might not have his service at playoff time. Also, he had stress fracture due to excessive playing time last season, remember?

6. robywang

robywang Member

Stop using DH as an example here. He is a freaking athletic beast.
    I still doubt he attracts as much defense as Yao does though.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol yeah man sure...

EVERYONE is tired. You give less effort, that's about it. I know how it feels to be tired, you're muscles do no weaken nor do your bones.

You guys are saying Yao isn't man enough to play 30 minutes a night, then he needs to be traded for someone that should.

8. jlwee

jlwee Member

Is not the matter of punishing or training yao's stamina or the fronting, is when you are up 15 with few minutes to go, you don't want to risk your star-player to get injured. Garbage time against garbage players, unless Adelman felt Yao is garbage else no point to let Yao on the court.

Of course Adelman may have his reasons so we can't really blame yet. Expect some garbage articles like Yao is not happy and want to leave Houston by YangYi soon

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, there are a lot of people on this board with a very, very small window of perspective. I mean, we've got people demanding a trade for a player after one bad quarter! It's probably best for some to just not post during a game, especially a losing effort. Everyone has the right as fans to criticize, but there are definitely levels, and "Fire Adelman" after every game is so 2008.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

if the playoffs were like March Madness, the rockets could have a serious chance to win it all. Sadly, its a series and the rockets dont have the ingredients to win a series...possibly not even a first round one.

Go Rockets Go

11. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Again, one thing the Rockets have shown they can consistently NOT do is execute down the stretch. This is vital to winning games in the playoffs, so a 6 game winning streak in the regular season is nice, but none of those games were won making plays and executing in the last 6 minutes of the game. Chicago showed exactly why the Rockets are fools gold.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yao is a athletic freak too in his own nature.

Dwight draws TONS of attention. He gets banged, hit, fronted, doubled, tripled as much as Yao.

He has to fight harder than Yao for position, because on offense he's less talented than Yao. Where Yao can score all around the paint, Dwight can only score IN the paint.

I saw last night where Dwight was tripled and he kicked it out to Rafer who of course bricked the Three.

13. John232

John232 Member

Now are you sure about this?

I know you use basic logic and common sense to come to this conclusion but have you tried making shyt up or maybe try consulting your magic 8 ball to see if Rick really wants to hurt Yao.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is man.

You step on someone's foot at the start of a game or at the end when you're more tired it's still a hurt ankle either way.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Your are exactly right. Its a myth that DH only sees one-on-one coverage. He goes to the line 10 times a game because he pushes through the coverage. He doesnt flounder like Yao.

16. qian

qian Contributing Member

Limiting Yao's minute when it's possible does not =2 not playing him at all or playing him 20 minutes a night...it's doctor's advise to limit his minutes around 30-33 a game during regular reason for safety purpose. When coming playoff time, you sure will have to worry about minute problem less...

the point is that those people including myself who witnessed Yao's injury situation last year still remember the pain and the hopeless feeling we had at the time.... Yao may go down again with just a little overuse... people are not going to be happy about it, but it is what it is...that's his body.

Would you rather losing a few more games than losing Yao for good while we are still in pretty darn good playoff position?

You gotta be patient with Yao and it is a long season

17. Alfredo82

Alfredo82 Member

RA is trying to kill him,poor yao :eek:

18. Natakublaze

Natakublaze Member

this was a back to back game

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I would never make something up. For one thing brooks, lowry and artest were also in the game during the garbage minutes. Three guys who need to know how to beat the fronting problem.

Not to mention great players make coaches look great. Yao is the rockets best player, and no coach is stupid enough to risk hurting his best player as punishment in garbage time. Adelman knows Yao is where his bread is buttered so to speak.

20. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

He doesn't get banged up as much Yao with no whistle.Dwight get's dunk contest star power marketing calls.His whistles are waaaaaaaay more favorable than Yao. They won't call a foul for Yao until they tackle him to the floor.

Dude goes to the line 10 times because they give him those calls and they no he won't make those free throws.You give Yao 10 free throws a game he'll avergae 30 a game and lead teh league in scoring.