1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is kyle lowry Starting Material?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wingcommander87, Mar 1, 2009.

1. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

obviously lowry feels rejuvinated going to a new team, especially a good one. he's going to play his hardest thus picking up some fouls he normally doesnt pick up. im not worried about his foul trouble at all. it will go down once he's used to the team.

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

He had more success earlier on in the season. The problem is, once teams pay more attention to him, he is not that successful at finishing, he is easy to be blocked b/c of height, and he is not strong enough to absorb the contact. He is more like that short dude used to play with the Nuggets, with a bit more speed.

AB will be better off practicing more PnRs.

3. Roxxx4life

Roxxx4life Member

He was a starter in Memphis before they changed their coach... I think he is a more pure PG than AB...

Anyway, did you guys hear anything about DJ Strawberry? He is a 6'5" guard that can handle the ball really well and known for his defense...

4. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

How tall is Aaron Brooks? He's listed at 6'0 but at the Bulls game, he looked like he's a whole head shorter than DRose. I'd like to see Kyle Lowry play a few games as a starter, despite his inability to knock down threes. i don't think Aaron Brooks is a long time solution given his size deficiency. Kyle Lowry has a bigger frame and can actually guard physical PGs where as Aaron may even get pushed around by Tony Parker.

5. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

wow guys are panicking after a lost. Hmmm one lost its not the end of the world. Your talking about changing point guards when Brooks' record as a starter is 9-2. That's pretty damn good. The Rockets are not going to win them all.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

He is very successful on his runners. It is not a traditional layup, he just lays it up quickly while running, without jumping. That is how he can avoid all those blocks.

But yes, he is not strong enough.

7. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Whenever Yao is exhausted and fronted, we should put Lowry in to penetrate.

8. comehere2

comehere2 Member

he is much better than AB as a PG.

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

lowry is closer starting material than brooks. i defintely see a lot of tony parker in him.

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

In the short time hes been here, hes already a better post passer then brooks.

11. redao

redao Member

So far, Brooks looks better when he was not forced feeding Yao. He has some real talent on offense. Since our team lack of true stars, we need offense from PG position more than anything else.

12. ibm

ibm Member

lol. real skills? like what? what does brooks have that lowry doesn't?

13. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I think it is too early to tell but brooks in late game situations is flaming.
    He has to know how to get Yao the ball that is the important thing and setup the offense of course. Even though he's having his woe's he is only 4 games into his starting role and it is going to take time to get the experience especially in crunch time.

14. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

brooks is supposed to be a little better offensively. he's got a better perimeter shot, but lowry is better at attacking and finishing, and his midrange game is better since he actually takes midrange shots. the thing about lowry's game thats head and shoulders above brooks is his ability to absorb contact and finish. hes looking better every game he's played.

15. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

Kyle Lowry has enough talent to be a potential starter. I'm just not sure if he is good enough to start right now. But his ability to penetrate and draw a foul or finish at the rim is quite impressive. From what I've seen these last few games, he appears to be a much better finisher than Aaron although his shot is not as good. Part of the reason is that he's much stronger than Aaron and can absorb the contact and still get off his shot.

I think Lowry's foul trouble is not that major of a concern. He's coming off the bench and is only going to play 20-25 minutes so he can afford to play much more aggressive defense.

16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I like Lowry's long term promise. I think he could be a useful starting PG for us with a little bit more refinement. Memphis hardly played him his first year and only gave him 20-25 in his second year so he still doesn't have a ton of minutes on the court so any minutes we can offer him, I think we should because his ceiling is much higher than Brooks.

I don't think it's much of a stretch that Lowry could be a top 5 defensive PG in the league soon and with his explosiveness, he could also be on the better finishing guards too. If he could improve his shooting to be only average, he would be a top PG in the league with his excellent defensive skills and slashing ability(along with his mid range game). The thing is, he can work on the form of his outside jumper and improve(and likely will) and with maturity and a good coach he should improve his shot selection out there too - both of which would give him a better percentage like it has done for Deron Williams, Tony Parker, and Jason Kidd(none take a lot of long distance shots compared to other PGs - although Dwill is a pretty good shooter).

I love AB's speed & heart, but he has a hard time finishing at the hoop because of his size and his outside shot is streaky. Defensively he just doesn't have the ability to stop the stronger guards from getting to the hoop and I can't think of even once where he used his speed to get in the way and take a charge. Given his frame, I don't think he will ever be a good finisher at the NBA level and defensively he will always be a liability as most guards will shoot over and go through him. Even if he improves to be a more consistent shooter, you can't teach size and that seems to be his biggest weakness. I think he still has a career as a spark off the bench, but let's face it - the things he could improve on aren't the things that will address his biggest weakness. The one thing I think he could do to help himself is learn to be a more able passer as he drives to the hoop. He has a scorers mentality and it shows when he attacks the hoop but if he had more of a pass first one, he might have more opportunities to finish easier as he freezes help defenders worried that he might drop the dime to his open teammate. Right now, most defenders know he is looking to score and they converge looking for the block on AB.

...so my point is, we really need to give Lowry the lion's share of the minutes soon to start getting him the in game reps he needs to refine his skills. Love AB, but he's never going to be able to carry us as a starter through a 7 game series against LA, Utah, New Orleans, Denver, San Antonio, Dallas, etc.

17. ibm

ibm Member

amen.

and bullard has said that he thinks lowry's form of his jump shots are actually pretty good. he just needs to practice and get better on his range. his j, i suspect, may not be as bad as his career # indicate. he shot pretty good in the minny game.

18. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

a 3 point shot man.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

put it this way. if you could only have Aaron Brooks or Kyle Lowry playing in a MUST win game. who would u rather have at the helm? i say Lowry for now.

20. Chamillionaire

yes yes yes, give the kid a chance, AB is 6th man material, someone to come in and shoot at will with the second unit.