1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lowry- Quietly Impressive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gifford1967, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I haven't seen this posted in the thread... it's from Solomon's Chron blog:

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/02/post_85.html

I wasn't terribly pleased when Rafer was traded. I never loved the guy or anything, but he could be counted on to be a vocal leader and he didn't turn the ball over. I felt the trade was a sign that management had given up on the season. Maybe they did, but Lowry appears to be a pretty decent pickup. We'll know soon enough if the Rockets are overachieving with this homestand or if they've really learned to play together.

2. Seth

Seth Member

His pick n roll with Scola will be one of the best in the league once they start to get along with each other, the guy is very strong and a very good passer.

Brooks has little time as starter.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

If Lowry hasn't worked on his jumper so far, what makes y'all think he will now? Not trying to be debbie downer...just saying plenty of dudes go through their career and never learn how to shoot. All young players don't work on their game, ala Landry....

4. ericmark

ericmark Member

Glad to see Yao's comment on Lowry.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

There is another silver lining. He was available for trade. I can assure you he would not have been available had he shot a decent 3 %. On the bright side the one thing that most coaches and players agree is easiest to improve on in the NBA is shooting %. You only need repetition. Lowry better live in the gym shooting this summer.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

"ala Landry"??? Just because the guy doesn't work on a post game in the offseason doesn't mean he doesn't work. He isn't a big 4. He has worked on extending his range which is more useful than working on post moves for someone of his stature especially when Yao/Scola will get the post opportunities.

7. mms

mms Member

I dont hate Rafer. When he missed those wide open 3s, I was like wtf*&$%(, but when he got hot like putting 8 3's to beat the fakers, I would temporarily believe he is the one of the top pgs. Anyway, he is a good but will never be labeled as a contender caliber player because he doesn't have enuf talent.

8. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

The lob pass for the dunk was excellent. That's a Chris Paul type play--something we were missing in Rafer and Brooks.

His physicality was great too. It's always good to have players who can bruise the opposition. Great pick-up by Morey once again.

If you look at Morey's acquisitions, they're amazing (cheap, effective, and work well together):

Artest, Scola, Wafer, Brooks, Landry, and Lowry

9. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

When will people learn to never doubt Morey. Happens every offseason and every trade because it's not what the general public thinks.

In Morey we trust. :D

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

And AB0 had seven, too. With only one TO between them. Sweet!

11. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I think he meant that Landry *has* worked on his game. It's obvious to all Rocket fans....

12. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

It's all about MIT. Put the nerds in charge.

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I've always advocated for, and am still trying to get the message out there:

PLACE KYLE AS A STARTER!

Just like how Battier started over Artest, Lowry needs to start over Brooks.

I hate how AB just chucks up shots as if he is Chris Paul.

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I can see the threads now when I close my eyes. :(

15. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I don't think this will happen until next year, hopefully. I think he has the potential to be better at running the point than Brooks bc his strength, playmaking abilities and seems to run the offense just as good without knowing much of our plays. Also I think I am seeing a little chemisty between him and Yao, hopefully that develops more than anything. But he can't be a starter this late in the season and have hopes for the playoffs. He needs more time to learn the players and RA's offense.

16. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Lowry is a great fit for this team. Smart, tough, unselfish player who can beat his man off the dribble and prevent his man from getting in the lane on defense. He does a little bit of everything. Only problem I have with him being a starter is I think we need players who can knock down the open three to play alongside Yao. Brooks is still learning on the fly how to be a starting point guard in this league, but his shooting gives us the lift we need on offense. Lowry is a good floor general to run out there with the second unit. I like what I see so far. No reason to adjust anything just yet.

17. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

It is manufactured. It drove me crazy for years as I watched pretty much his whole career and never heard that he had any nickname. A good poster here(forgot who) told me when I was asking that it was just a thing from TNT to give him a little "street cred". It's not like he was ever a really big name outside of the Houston area.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Who do you like for our starter in next year or later? Brooks or Lowry. I like Lowry. Brooks seems to a shooting first guard.

19. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I hope Lowry develops more bc he is more of a true pg, luckily for Brooks RA offense is easier on pgs.

20. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

It would help but it is not needed like everyone thinks. Rafer could not shoot from anywhere nor finish around the basket and sometimes our offense looked good. Rafer was good at running the offensive plays and thats it.

Lowry can be just as good at running the point while shooting at a higher fg%, hotzones proves he has a decent midrange game and his a great finisher. Also he played a lot less minutes than Rafer and still had way more ft attempts. I think is overall game makes up for it but yeah he would be deadly with a spot up three in his arsenal.