1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Simmons] "Tracy McGrady, you are officially indefensible for the rest of eternity"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Bill Simmons is a sensationalizing non-journalist with a positive predictive value for sports that is below zero; nevertheless, he has basically reinforced exactly what I and many others on this board have said previously. Yes I know he has even less information at his disposal and watches even less Rockets basketball than 99% of us here, but it still feels good to get validation from outside for the frustrations Rockets fans have been dealing with regarding Tracy. Everyone out there listening to Steve A Smith and Legler would be envisioning T-Mac as this martyr that sacrificed his body last year and was still bogged down by his injuries from then. Basically, the kool-aid that all ***'s on these boards are still spewing here and there, what 1% of Rockets fans still are supporting him at least.

I didn't even finish reading his article before posting this, just bc I wanted to be the first to see your responses. :p Here's the excerpt and link.

2. alcatrazpsycho

Another Tracy thread? :rolleyes:

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wow, its like he took the words right out of my mouth.

So obvious what tmac did...Unbelievable.

We are all better off.

4. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I supported Tmac for years on ISH forums and believe me it is not easy over there but I have to agree with Simmons. It is pretty obvious what Tmac did and especially about not coming into shape. Many players manage to stay in shape while rehabbing, I don't think there is any excuse. I can understand announcing the surgery to some extent to save yourself but in the process you screwed your team a second time.

5. Crush

Crush Rookie

BlameTracy.com

6. Landlord Landry

I have never needed Simmons opinion to validate my own beliefs, and I'm not about to start right now.

but it's still a good piece. :D

Cheers.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Good thing the Tracy only fans have left the building.

The thought of T-Mac returning worries me. He should be traded in the off season so that he can't mess up a good thing.

8. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpQwZC_ChcM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpQwZC_ChcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

T-mac has been a rocket for multiple years and he had an atrocious season no doubt.

But you have to give the guy a break - he was injured as proven by the fact he got surgery. I mean, he wasn't faking an injury.

I can understand the frustration and yes, it's clear we're playing better basketball without him than with him. But that doesn't mean we should say good riddance to the guy.

Just imagine a year from now...let's say we make it to the second round or perhaps even the WCF before we lose. We come back next year with an even better season, near the top of the conference....and T-mac gets healthy.

You know it won't be his team at that point and he will have to blend in. You know that he can still be a piece that gets us over a hump.

Let's not throw the guy under the bus, even if he wasn't close to being the example teammate. Sometimes sick employees are just really terrible to deal with. That's the case with T-mac.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ITS MY FAULT I'M DIVIDING THE ROCKETS FANS
    :rolleyes:

I have this super power to tell other people to make these threads based on ARTICLES WRITTEN BY JOURNALIST

11. alcatrazpsycho

That makes for an excellent conspiracy!

A man who loved money, but loathed hard work.
    How to stay in Houston? How to get payed, but not play?
    Tracy McGrady, the greatest criminal in professional sports history: How the athlete stole tens of millions of dollars without having to set foot on court. :cool:

...not that I actually believe that of course...

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

That whole Bill Simmons article was kinda depressing actually. Makes it look like the whole sports world is gonna collapse in 5 years, but this isnt about that.

Tracy McGrady might be a tad more defensible than Simmons makes it. But McGrady acted like a guy with guaranteed money, period. As did Steve Francis.

13. NateNate

NateNate Member

too hard on Tmac....It will always come down to this when it comes to him in my eyes----forget the regular season. Everyone wants to judge him on not getting past the first round but look at his numbers. He always came to play and always put up big numbers, hes teammates failed him. period

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

bill is not really a journalist, and i am not sure he would even claim to be, and yeah there are holes all over whatever he writes, but he writes as a fan, and is what he is saying really different to alot of the posters around here have been saying or feeling

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

big numbers doesn't equal winning

Tracy failed on his teammates. The fact Bill Simmons is saying that even Vince Carter wouldn't do that is saying something.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

I can't believe in today's world of "what have you done for me lately", there are still people defending T-Mac.

No matter how much he contributed to this team before, he could not have hindered our team more if he had tried. I had continuously lived his low shooting percentage, whining about everything, heat-checks, lack of defensive effort, etc. etc. etc. in the past because we really did have some crappy players around him and Yao.

But that excuse no longer works now, and I find it hard to think of him as a Rocket any more. There's only so much you can put up with before you say enough is enough.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is really hard to defend a guy that you watch wilt away and quit before your eyes. I remember last season he blamed losing on fans because they booed him. This is a guy who flip flips more than politicians. He is a prima dona who only imposes his will when he wins and then says he is tired or blames his teamates when we lose. There is a reason that both Rafer and Artest called him out. Hard not to call someone out when he is the highest paid player and lets opposing trash just blow right by him. It isn't as if we are asking him to guard Kobe or Paul Pierce. This is the guy that took him out minutes before tipoff and forced Artest to drag his swollen ankle around the court as an impromptu add in. Here are the facts... every doctor he has seen save one has told him that his knee was fine and that he needs to play through his pain. What did TMac do? He played groundhog with his team, choosing which days he wants to pop in. Yes we can't blame all our frustrations and losses on TMac. What we can and will do however, is hold him accountable for his lack of heart, perseverance, and responsibility.

18. fffffffaint

fffffffaint Member

Really I don't like this guy.
    But maybe it's time to stop and focus on guys on court.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Yup plus I think it's also worth noting that Simmons was always a big T-Mac fan too. He's defended him on multiple occasions just like we have. And just like the rest of us he's facing reality too.

20. leungevity

leungevity Member

A good read and I agree with Bill, but I still feel kind of bad for Tracy.