1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

West. Conf. Games today

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mozart123, Feb 25, 2009.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Thanks Hawks...for NOTHING

You played the Jazz, Blazers, Nuggets and couldn't beat one of them and you're supposed to be the 4th best team in your conference.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I see where you're going with this leebigez, and you may be right, but I just can't see Howard ever becoming as well-rounded of a player as Hakeem. Hakeem was raw athleticism when he was young, like Howard, but I think Hakeem was a very special case of a player that kept adding more and more to his game throughout his professional career.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Howard continue to do what he's doing right now for several years, which is still great, but I don't see him ever being as good a shooter or playmaker as Hakeem. While Howard is incredibly strong, I don't think he'll ever have the finesse, coordination, touch, vision and bball IQ of Hakeem. Once his athleticism declines, whether it's due to age or injury, Howard won't be nearly as special of a player. He won't be able to lead his team to championships late in his career like Hakeem did. I don't think he will ever be the go to guy to make a play late in games. He'll always be playing off of his teammates instead of vice versa.

Howard could very well end up being a rebounder, shotblocker and put back guy and nothing more. Hakeem was all that and a lot more.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You mean what DIDN'T they do? They didn't force the ball out of TP's hands. When both TD and Manu are out and every other Spurs player in the game put together is less than TP, you MAKE SURE TP doesn't beat you. In other words, don't play your normal game plan. Plan on stopping TP and force the others Spurs to make plays the entire game to beat you because they can't.

Portland's defense is a royal joke. They switch off on 99.5% of pick-and-rolls and get abused by mismatches play-after-play-after-play. It's so predictable. Tonight, the Spurs didn't even need PnRs. Just iso TP on Sergio Rodriguez and watch the child abuse. It was sickening! Same for when they single-covered him with Blake. On fast breaks, too many times they didn't make TP pass and he hit nearly every drive to the basket.

Until the Blazers learn how to play defense, especially on the road, they will continue to be substandard against above-average teams. Part of it is they have the youngest playing rotation in the NBA. If you step back and take a good look, it's amazing they are 35-22. Three rookies are in their rotation (four if you count Bayless) and they are anchored by two 3rd year players, so I guess you can't ask for too much. It's just frustrating watching their cumulative attention span wander in-and-out so much, especially on the road.

4. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

yah thats why the lakers have 90 dollar payroll and the spurs have a 68 million dollar payroll lakers are all about market thats the only reason why there good

lakers are overated,gasol is overated,bynum is overated, esically ariza defense is overated, and that piece of s**t yall call vujab***ch is the bigest scrub on your team

spurs have just been the better team this decade and the true champs our owner dosen't buy us a championship like yall we'll make kobe cry again this year :cool:

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Being "well-rounded" is great but it isn't everything. Howard's rebounding and power are such that if he continues to develop like Hakeem did, he will be just as great a player. His power can offset the lack of offensive wizardry. Very few centers in history had the total package that Hakeem grew into, even the "great" ones like Russell, Chamberlain and Shaq.

What was amazing about Dream is how he continued improving himself even into his late 20s. He was dedicated to basketball more than most centers.

But if you compare Dwight Howard right now to Dream at 23, Howard comes out just fine.

6. Seth

Seth Member

Way off..

They have beaten 2 very likely PO teams in a row without 2 of their best players, a team that plays as one in wich everyone knows his roles and the 3 stars can carry a team is a seriouss threat to everyone.

I remember last year when TP and TD went down, manu went for 39 against Dallas, then 40 and 44 against cleveland. When everyone here were sayin "manu cant carry a team" now "parker cant carry a team" but he does, because Manu, Parker, and Duncan, always know their roles, how to play off each other and how to play without each other, that makes them a scary team.

Mainly the stars know that when alone, they have to carry the team, but a team, not a bunch of players. That team help his stars a lot.

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

you seem a little lost. your handle is "Spurs210" and you are talking trash about the lakers and referring to ppl on this board as lakers fans. i dont ever recall having vajub!+ch on the rockets or bynum, kobe, pau.

8. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

nm saw the post you were replying to. your argument still confuses me a bit as to why it is occuring on clutchfans. spurs > lakers. only california team i root for are the clippers.

9. uci

uci Member

that's why spurs got eliminated by lakers last year right? that's why they are way behind the lakers this year right? having a smaller payroll doesn't make u a good team, in fact, it makes u a cheap one and delusional fans like u r the ones who get tricked, spurs was never that good, they got a few rings through their flopping and cheating, but even those cheap moves won't get them far in the playoffs anymore

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I can't believe the Celts choked away that lead to the Clips. Not like them at all. I don't know what Rondo was doing that last play.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Below is some footage of Hakeem at 23. He was already hitting insane fadeaways and turnarounds while displaying incredible touch around the rim. There are 4 or 5 incredible shots just in this short clip of one Finals game. Toward the end, he makes an incredible pass (4:23), looking as slick as a good point guard. There is a shotblock or two in there as if anybody needs to see evidence of the greatest shotblocker of all-time.

Howard will never have the touch, finesse, agility, ballhandling, playmaking and basketball intelligence of Hakeem. He'll never be even close in those areas. Meanwhile, Hakeem had elite rebounding skills and shotblocking which pretty much comprise Howard's entire repetoire. Howard may have the edge in sheer power and finishing inside but the 23-year-old Hakeem was right there, or ahead of, Howard when it comes to Howard's strengths while Howard isn't even in the same stratosphere as a 23-year-old Hakeem when it comes to the rest of Hakeem's strengths.

23-year-old Howard = Power + Athleticism + Average to below average skill
    23-year-old Hakeem = Power + Athleticism + Finesse + Elite skill

Then, looking forward, you have to consider that Hakeem uncannily improved his game throughout his career. To assume that Howard will improve as much as Hakeem did would be a HUGE assumption. Better yet, it's unrealistic and improbable.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4rcYQYhmpI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O4rcYQYhmpI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#71 BrooksBall, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  12. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

s**t give us a marcus camby or rasheed wallace and we would still woop yalls a*s, you make a good point by any true laker fans not like you who's probably not even from california :rolleyes: . Even some of the laker fans on spurstalk have admited that the series could of gone either way we were kicking yalls a*s in games 1 and 5 but KOBE not the lakers brought them back. :mad: . Flooping and cheating right be happy yall just won one championship becuase from what i heard the lakers cheated there way themselves :D. But if yall go to the finals this year at least make it a series :)

13. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

haha the Clippers beat the Celtics.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

And the Celtics lose to the Clippers............I'm trying to decide whether to laugh or facepalm.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Laker fan

Spurs fan

Both of you STFU.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You shouldn't say anything if you're a Rockets fan considering the Clippers took care of business against us. At least the C's can say they played without KG.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Eh, I think it looked worse than it actually was. It looked like he planned on handing it off to House and just flat out lost it. I definitely rank Joe Johnson's brain fart tonight way below this.

18. yobod

yobod Member

Hence the rockets being behind them in the standings, brain. For some reason, your whole demeanor just pisses me off.....everytime I see "born and raised in Houston" as if it's a point of pride for you, I feel like punting you. If you're so damn proud of being from this city, why do you root for a team that comes from a piss poor version of this city?

19. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

ugh, if i wanted to catch this back and forth childish bickering about which team is better i'd go to one of the spurs or mavericks forums.

keep clutchfans classy.

20. Spurs210

Spurs210 Member

cuz i never liked the rockets my whole family is pretty much from san antonio and don't get me wrong i miss houston but fell in love with san antonio so fast

have you ever tried to be a spurs fan :D

it actually feels better to see basketball past april :eek: sorry that was a little too harsh