1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Athletic was Yao before his injuries?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mozart123, Feb 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

I'm not sure of the details of Yao's past injuries and how they've affected his quickness and vertical leap, but I remember Yao three years ago was able to get off the ground better and move better.

Does anyone know his physical measurements that show how he has declined physically? It is rather unfortunate because I remember Yao used to move quite well and block more shots coming from the weak side.

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I see a slight difference.

He was slow, and non-explosive. Now he's sssslow and non-explosive.

3. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

I don't know about the blocking more shots part...b/c IMO he seems to be blocking shots better now then he ever did before. His timing seems to be a little bit better. (At least the past couple of weeks or so)

4. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

He's added a ton of muscle to be able to hold his own in the paint.
    His lower body is much bigger than what it was early on in his career.
    That might have something to do with it.

5. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

alot of it had to do with him being about 200lbs when he entered the league. now he's 300. at 7'6" and that weight he's not going to be very athletic.

6. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Yes, he is definitely thicker in the lower body, but he just seemed to move well even 2-3 years ago when he was still quite thick.

He's a better player than his earlier years, this year he is shooting better an still averaging 20/10 PER 36 but the moves he has made in the past were quicker, or so it seems to me.

7. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

Uh no he came waay more than that

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He was best big and meaty IMO. He was dominant. That era didn't last long. I prefer dominance and power over my 7fter trying to be nimble and crafty.

9. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

I favored him when he could move a bit more (Steve Francis era).

Still, though, I think if JVG was here instead of RA, Francis would have had a

chance to play. Then again, maybe not (Memphis)

10. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

I agree, but he got injured. Didn't JVG say all that weight on his lower body is probably what led to the injury?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure about JVG but ya... A big reason he shed the weight is to reduce stress on his feet.

12. mwpq

mwpq Member

13. blender

blender Member

Not sure if it's accurate, but wikipedia's entry on Yao says he had two foot surgeries in his teens back when he was playing in China. His vertical leap apparently decreased by several inches after that.

14. Norway's Winter

15. dustman515

dustman515 Member

yao will lead rockets to win cavs!

16. hle6

hle6 Member

I don't think Yao was ever athletic, he was slow then and he was slow now. Yao had the toe injury for a long time and finally he had surgery last year. I think that he could not get good his position nor back up the defender with the toe injury. Playing int he paint required pushing on the feet at lot

17. worzel gummidge

IMO he'd still be slow if he lost weight but his stamina would improve. I reckon if lost 20-40 pounds that issue might go away. There'd also be less wear and tear on the legs and feet.

18. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

He was much quicker before his injuries. He even threw down some alleyoops early in his NBA career!

19. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I heard he could jump off the ground 60cm before a player broke his leg for the 1st time, he was playing in cba at that time.

20. RealistRocket24

pretty athletic, but nothing special.