1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tmac to have surgery tomorrow

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The_Yoyo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I don't have any need to indulge you here, but regardless: I am an immigrant who worked hard to earn the life I live now. People's lives are worth more than the size of their bank accounts. I have been blessed, but I don't value myself by my wealth, and I don't value others by their wealth alone either. Money is nothing but a tool. The fact that there are many other people worse off than your neighbor isn't a reason for you not to care about his or her situation: it's only an excuse for you to do nothing and only care about yourself. That is a selfish outlook on life.

A few years ago, two people died within about a month or so of each other. One was given a grand national state funeral, with thousands mourning and weeping openly. The event made international news headlines. The other's death was merely a footnote in the daily news, and his funeral was attended by about 10 people. One was the president of a country who lived in great wealth for most of his life. The other was Mother Teresa.

2. rocketsmetalspd

Is about time this will be taken care of. GoodLuck to TMac on the surgery and recovery. I hope to see him back on another team when he visits the TC. Thanks for the memories but now it is time to for a new beginning for TMac and the Rockets.

3. mahkeses

mahkeses Member

All the best to Tmac.

I believe Tmac will be back mid next season.

4. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

No, I would say that maturity is measured by how easily you can differentiate between what's really important in life and what's not.

Food, shelter--those are important. If you don't see the relationship money has to those things, those basic necessities, then you've got some growing up to do.

5. PFG

PFG New Member

Good luck T-MAC!
    Now i think lowry can take the No.1 uniform of the rocket

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i think you have it wrong.

this is whats best in life:

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

;) :D

7. scalper

scalper Member

nice story... seems to me in your postings you would be giving Tmac a national state funeral ... and Mother Teresa would be some forgotten child dying in Africa...

understand you are asking us to feel sorry for person who has led a life very few people on this planet have had the chance to have...

he has had 11 years in a job he loves where he became famous and made a fortune... once again very few people have had a chance to have that...

but what are we talking about surgery and possible end to a career...

your acting as if no other athelete "who knows the risk" has needed surgery or come to the end of their career...

its not like Tmac lost his limb from a IED attack in Iraq... or lost his life..

its not Like Tmac was Terry Fox... though he had Cancer and lost a leg to it ran 26 miles a day across Canada to raise Cancer awareness... but eventually died from it...

in the end I I have sympathy for Tmac... and the apparent difficulties your have with your Hero going down...

but like you alluded in your post... there are people more deserving of our sympathy and tears... like a Mother Teresa

8. fffffffaint

fffffffaint Member

It's All Over!

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to give the guy a break. He's out for the season, no need to say anything more.

Too bad it took so long to get to this...had he opted for surgery last year, his reputation wouldn't have suffered so much.

One thing is for sure, if he does make it back next year, he'll find a very different Rockets team that has learned to live without him. Truly he will have to learn how to fit in to a system that is built around Yao.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

As long as he goes through with the surgery, I'll give him a permanent break.

11. A13

A13 Member

Hopefuly, This Surgery cure his paining Knee and hurted mind.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it also depends on the size of the area worked on. i remember reading that tmac had a small area that needed microfracture so that give him some hope.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

No, actually T-Mac has nothing to do with that story (which is a true story). Mother Teresa lived and died poor and destitute, yet she was honored with a state funeral in India, and thousands mourned her passing. She is almost universally regarded as a truly great woman. The ex-president mentioned in the story was Mobutu Sese Seko, who, despite his immense wealth and power, was nothing more than a footnote on the day of his death. His countrymen did not care about him, and only about 10 people attended his funeral. The moral of the story is that the true worth of a person is not determined by the abundance of their possessions, but rather more by how much of a positive impact they can make on the people around them by showing love and compassion. And while this is an extreme example, every day there are ordinary people who impact others' lives and are remembered and honored by those around them, while others die alone and miserable in their wealth.

You don't have to be more powerful or wealthier than another person to show love or compassion to them. Real love is never about what a person has or what they can give you. There is more to life than food, shelter and possessions. There is a reason why it is more blessed to give than to receive. Money is important, but at the end of the day, it is still just a tool.

As far as McGrady goes, it would probably be sacrilegious to try to put him in the same sentence as Mother Teresa. I do have a lot of respect for him as a person for his humanitarian efforts, especially in Darfur. But for me, caring about his wellbeing has nothing to do with how much he has or what he has accomplished, talk less of what he has done for me. As far as I am concerned, he is a human being like myself who is going through an unfortunate situation. And that's enough for me to care and wish him well. There is more to life than getting paid. One can talk about how his situation cannot be compared to that of the poor and starving, but there is no rule that says we can't care about both, and often the truth is that we really care about neither. We only care about ourselves and what we can get. You don't have to travel to a poor village in Zimbabwe to make an impact -- you could easily do so right there in your office or home.

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Well, its over.

Hope people will remember you here for the good, not the bad, although I find that doubtful with the negativity towards you on this board.

Anyways, I do believe you really tried to get this team a championship. Injuries and bad luck negated that quest.

Gave me some exciting moments, and I remember just last year, getting home from work, grabbing my control just to see your amazing abilities go to work to increase the 22 win streak.

Your battles with kobe when you first came to houston...your dunk on bradley....the greatest performance by a single being in the last minute of any regulated nba game against (at the time) the best defensive team in the league (spurs).

Thanks T-mac.

15. HoustonN06

HoustonN06 Member

Good luck in surgery tomorrow Mac & with your following rehab!

16. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Those too, of course. I look forward to Yao and the Rockets driving Kobe's widow out into the tundra after they destroy the Lakers.

17. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Only somebody who's never had to go through life without food and shelter would say that. That is truly one of the stupidest things I have ever heard in my life. If you've lived a fat, spoiled life it's easy to dismiss necessities as inconsequential. Here's a little hint for you: without food you starve.

If you can't realize that the suffering that McGrady's going to go through is absolute inconsequential and insignificant compared to the suffering of somebody who's in real trouble there's no hope for you.

One more time: your sympathy should scale in proportion to the person's suffering. The suffering of one those poor wretches Mother Theresa cared for dwarfs what McGrady is going to have to go through.

18. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope he comes back as the old T-mac, wherever he might end up, hope he became the scoring champion next season! I love Basketball!

19. rocketgenius

rocketgenius Member

wow
    i can't believe the doctor who recommended that he plays thru the pain in his knee is now the one that's recommending the microfracture surgery
    he should be fired, no excuses

all the tmac bash about him being soft, lazy, unmotivated should stop right here

20. rocketgenius

rocketgenius Member

if they can make the playoff, first of all
    with yao as a leader. hmmm
    i don't know