1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

im not gonna lie and say i dont miss rafer, but if you're gonna say he was elite point guard and good enough for this team, you gotta be outta your mind. rafer is an inconsistent shooter, incapable penetrator, and quite frankly overrated. he is not what the rockets need if were seriously about going after the championship.

2. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I just couldn't take Rafer's tear drop layup prayers. He would miss 80% of those I swear.

3. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

You and I both . . .

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Those guys are delusional. They b**** and moan about Anthony Johnson because of his inconsistency and they think Rafer Alston is the savior. Freaking hilarious.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Lmao. I agree

6. HTR99

HTR99 Member

I was trying to make a new post but being a newbie and long time reader, I couldn't do it and figured to just add this here. I was taking a break from studying and was listening to SR610 at around 10pm but Todd White, night time host for Sporting News Radio, (who I've never heard of) was on and was going to discuss the Rafer trade with Pat Williams (senior vice president of the Orlando Magic). I figured to extend my break and listen into what made Orlando do the deal. Todd seemed shocked we made the deal. I won't post the entire interview but just Rockets-related stuff.

TW: Why was RA available when T-mac went down?
    PW: Houston wanted to give AB more minutes and let him be on floor while Lowry will be his back-up. They now got two 23 yr old running the point. Memphis was just trying to get more picks. We wanted to solidify the PG spot (after discussing the loss to New Orleans in the early part of the interview) and make a run in playoffs by stabilizing the ship since we believe we’re contenders.

TW: ESPN wanted to wait/reserve judgment on the trade to know if it would push them deep in playoffs or possibly finals. I thought, yea it will.
    PW: History proves you got to be battle tested. You win a round one year. The next, win another more round and so forth. This allows us to mature and to take on the Bostons and Clevelands since they’ll meet meet one or either in 7 game series. Alston is a competitor, who’s feisty, got 3 pt range, and solidify the ship.

Take it for what it worth's. By now, we all know why Houston did it but I was just curious on what Orlando thought since they were stockpiling more guards in the absence of Nelson. I'll reserve judgment on the new members.

Go Rockets!!!

7. amplified_jp

amplified_jp Member

aaron brooks will own on the point, knew it was only a matter of time before they put brooks on the starting lineup

8. PhilCollins

This is an Upgrade for them. Who else is there to run point after him? Lue? That guy is sorry, surprised he has survived in the NBA this long. They lost a legit point to injury and now they have Alston who btw has played with a great center. Now he gets to play with a beast . . . Alston is going to have a great time with those passes to Howard. They won't win it all but this makes them better NOW!

We on the other hand lost Tmac and our starting point guard. Then we lose Ron to free agency this summer. The future does not look so great for us. We did a good job getting good role players and having a big 3 in Ron, T and Yao. Now we lose 2 0f those big 3 and also Alston. We hang on to Head?! If everyone was healthy and there was chemistry I had hopes this would have been the year. Man I feel like I get let down every season. This is painful . . .

9. PhilCollins

No **** Sherlock . . . he will start tom. However he will not OWN the point. Not tomorrow aginst Kidd . . . . . maybe in a few years . . .

10. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

so is lowry going to play tomorrow.???? or how long will it take for the players in the trade to be able to play

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

No doubt it's an upgrade for Orlando, but I guess we disagree on the magnitude of it.

Rafer and T-Mac had their chances. Where did they get the Rockets? How long should they have waited to move on? They had to go. Luckily, T-Mac's "injury" made this happen a little quicker.

And Ron hasn't left yet. I think there's a chance he stays if the rest of this season works out. He's just starting to hit his groove.

Things are good. We all just need to relax and see what happens starting tomorrow.

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Orlando said Alstons going to meet them in Charlotte, he does the physical in time... I guess he plays.

I dunno bout Lowry.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Lowry has the skills to become a starting PG in the NBA for a long time, so does Brooks.

In the end it will be who is better for us. People that think Lowry is a scrub should re-watch the games where he played against us.

14. Chamillionaire

i've never really watched lowry play. what exactly does he do that we traded our started pg for him? and brian cook as well.

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Lowry's a solid PG with good athleticism, strength, and ability to drive to the basket. His defense (from what I hear) is good as well. His one major weakness is his jumpshot, especially from three-point land. Honestly, he and Aaron Brooks should compliment each other very well.

Cook is nothing more than a capable shooter. If he gets playing time, he'll be able to spread things out at the 4 spot, but don't expect much from him.

16. yysheep520

yysheep520 Member

ohhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!my god ?
    what did the management want to doo?? :eek:

wo dont want SF3,SKIP....
    you know after t-mac didnt play ,skip played some very good games
    can you remember 22wins last season??who give our team hand?? :(

byebye,skip...............

17. yysheep520

yysheep520 Member

maybe management made a correct decision......
    i think..............

18. antstep

antstep Member

everything goes OK with any trad before , so the future do

19. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Anything that that gets rid of Alston - I LOVE!

20. Yinlele

Yinlele Member

come,man. I don't agree to this trade. It's a loss to ROX to let REFER go.