1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Rafer for Kyle Lowry and Brian Cook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ahess99, Feb 19, 2009.

1. trade_tmac

trade_tmac New Member

Why not trade tmac?
    why trade rafer?
    Does Morey want to give up this season?
    :eek:

2. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Adleman's offense doesn't require a guy who has mad handles and trouble scoring. His offense is more of a ball movement, keep it moving kinda thing, where everyone can score. I see Lowry and Brooks fit what Adleman is trying to do. Lowry isn't a shooter but he can penetrate and get to the line.

Watch other players start to shine now w/o Rafer. And I don't mean that as a dig on Rafer, I just mean that the shift in chemistry is going to be something to behold. Neither TMac (who is gone for now) or Artest needed a Rafer.

Lowry can penetrate and get to the line. We needed young legs that can do that. Also he will be a better defender against bigger guards one on one. We also needed that, especially because AB is so small.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Rondo had a lot of experience right? I think you are forgetting we have Brent Barry who can tutor him and Brooks. We have enough veterans.

Yeah Lowrys halfcourt game will probably need more work. I mean lets see him take the 6-7 threes a game, I am sure he will knock down 1 or 2. Alston took a lot of bad shots. I mean pull up threes on a fast break type ****.

Rafer was too inconsistent. I love this trade.

4. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

Hope you are right. I could care less who wears the Rockets jersey as long as we get W's.

5. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yes for sure. Rockets fans need to just sit tight and let it play out. I am sure most will judge Lowry by 1 night.

Villanovas Coach - "Kyle Lowry is the smartest basketball player I have coached"

6. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

All hell will break loose should Lowry play bad.

7. Vivid

Vivid Member

The kick out three is not the only option. You play to your strengths. Watch the Spurs... they run similar plays to Duncan like we do to Yao. When he kicks it to Bowen (ie Battier), Bowen spots up a 3 ball. When he gives it to Manu (ie what Tmac use to do, now Wafer), he either strokes it or drives it. Paker, on the other hand, never shoots the 3. He recieves the kick out and pump fakes for a long 2 (which he can hit), or drives and creates. This is what Lowery can do. The 3 ball has long been an overrated option for the Rockets. JVG used this model (and the Tmac pick and roll) because it is a simple plug and play system. That doesn't mean you take any player and try to make them fit at the cost of them becoming a liability (perhaps a weakness of JVG...see V-Span). Also, for those worried that Lowery isn't the same play maker as Alston... Adelman's system encourages every player to be a playmaker. It doesn't have to just be Lowery to Yao for the shot. I would love to see Yao to a cutting Lowery.
    Look, if we just want to have a pg who shoots threes, we are in luck because we can play Brooks and to some extent Barry. But Lowery and Brooks will now give us the oppurtunity to continue to attack and force the opposing defense to adjust. You don't have to shoot when you drive, when the defense collapses, inevitably Yao or Scola will be open. If the defense can make the switch then a a pass from the bigs to either Battier or Artest will often give us wide open 3s. You can't control the offense to the point where you score every single time. You can however put your self in the best position to score. Think of it like counting cards...but for basketball.
    -V

8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

you my friend get the post of the day award. Can you please copy and paste that in every single topic we have going on right now? Thanks :cool:

9. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Good post. Lowry brings alot to the table. I think the thing people are going to be impressed with is his toughness on the defensive end and his ability to rebound the ball. Hes a strong tough dude.

10. xouterheavenx

xouterheavenx Member

im psyched more about cook.
    he's a forward thats shooting a career high 44%
    from 3 pt range this year.

11. PhilCollins

Well made point but let me see here. Are you comparing Lowry to Parker? Parker is one of the BIG 3 for Spurs. I guess this guy is part of our Big 3 now?????????? Also for all the guys who talk about Rondo - he has 3 great players around him and can get away with winning a championship.

I hear all you guys that are PRO this deal. I just won't believe this guy is legit until I see it. I REALLY hope all of you are right!

I just remember being super excited about Ron just a few months ago . . . the future just looks terrible now!

12. wxzcool

wxzcool Member

YAO MUST BE PISSED OFF BY THIS TERRIBLE TRADE.

13. bluehorse

bluehorse Member

This season is over for HOU

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

yes yes yes please

15. PhilCollins

the guy doesn't even see minutes!!!!!!!

16. PhilCollins

I think that happened witrh Tmac. This is just icing on the cake . . .

17. crunch

crunch Member

Good trade or bad, we will know the results in a couple of months. In the mean time, let's welcome our new additions by giving out nicknames:

Kyle Lowry = KLo

Brian Cook = B Cook

LOL

18. bluehorse

bluehorse Member

All they thing about is how to save the money, not about how to win the champion.

19. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

I dont think this is a good trade. RA said he want to have a try to be our our luckerroom leader, this positive words we need badly. Even yao and Ron they both have no courage to say this words. Also, when tmac played poorly who is the first guy to pash tmac? The answer is also RA. Are the Rox still have faith in tmac? RA have stayed in HOU more than 3 seasons, he knows our syatem well, can Lowry and AB do well? This also need to be prove. Id rather we have no trades. In a word, no trade is better than have trades.. :mad:

20. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

hmmm......most of the older members are not crapping their pants and think this might be something decent at least. I heard on the radio that if the new point wouldn't shoot his 2 3point attempts per game he would shoot almost 10%higher than RA. Maybe our coach can get him to not attempt that shot(unlike RA) and attack the rack instead. Seems that he is better at doing that than RA is at the teardrop. Will miss Rafer as I have rooted for him for years.
    Good luck to him in the East.