1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Truth WILL Hurt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ncagg42, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Member

What's your point?
    yao should go tanning w/ shane?

2. UrlPerlMonroe

UrlPerlMonroe Rookie

Can someone please lock this meaningless thread. Less cluttered.

3. fffffffaint

fffffffaint Member

Do you really support this team?
    You ask us not to trust Yao?
    You require us to wait for "healthy" Tracy?
    So trade Yao out and get some C up to your standard? Then we sit and wait for Tracy's back?

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Dwight Howard career TO's 2.93 per game
    Tim Duncan career TO's 2.80 per game
    Yao ming career TO's 2.70 per game( What?? Less than BOTH of them!!)

Seriously if you're gonna argue your point get your fact straight first. NO ONE is saying Yao is better than Duncan but making Yao out to be a detrement ot he team is just ignorant.

5. yearning

yearning Rookie

Your guarantee is worthless. The junk you post hurt my eyes.

6. Exiscion

Exiscion Member

It's debatable whether Yao is the best center in the NBA. But you can't be serious by implying that Perkins, Oberto, and Wallace are better than Yao. That would be beyond stupid.

7. 90dmswo

90dmswo Member

regrettably, i had to painfully agree with a lot of what he said. whether we like it or not, T-Mac is the key to success in my opinion. He does NOT seem to go to work every night but he IS a superstar.

but what really got me fired up is his comment on Yao.

I dont know which team will chose NOT to play Yao 35 min a game? He is an enormous offensive presence who can give you 20 points in like 15 field goal attempts.

oh and we are going to the playoffs. im not sure about the second round drama though.

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Although I don't share all the sentiments as the OP, when I saw someone post this as our rotation, I got sad...

Making the playoffs will tough as it is. I don't even think talking about the 2nd round is wise at this time.

I sure hope I'm wrong though.

9. casey_chy

casey_chy Member

if it wasnt Yao,would shane ron Ab rafer even wafer got so many open shots every night?

10. davidkconover

davidkconover Member

this tread is a great example why many of the posters on here are idiots. i am not talking about the original post. while i might disagree with some of his points... he is trying to "talk basketball" and start an in depth dialog. the idiots are the ones who are only capable of posting "sound bites" or "come backs". we have too many Romes and not enough Halberstams on here.

that is why clutch bbs has become a site to find breaking news on the rockets and not a site worth sharing critical thought.

11. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

1- haha sorry for bringing up something that wasn't solely rockets. Also I stated that i didn't disagree with the trade, so basically you just supported my point.

2- Dallas is more consistent than us because they have a system and an identity that they have been playing in all year. We haven't even had the same rotation for more than two games.

The Suns are basically playing under the same coach as last year, and last year they did pretty well in it. I assume other things constant, that will repeat.

We just lost depth at the PG position (lowry didnt even play for grizzlies, what makes u think he will play minutes for us) lost arguably our best player (maybe not this year but years past) and have had so much tension lately in the locker room. I should have said, we will be a high seed, or 9th seed. Sorry next time I will be sure to be more clear.

4- Lebron struggles shooting the 3 and his outside shot is suspect. Wade isn't as big as McGrady (I am not saying TMAC is better). Kobe is better yes. That is 3 guys, I should have said not many instead of no, my apologies again. My point is he gave us something special, now we dont have it. We are worse off. I stated the obvious. I didnt say he should keep playing, i said healthy mcgrady. As far as clutch situations? Go back to the Magic days as well as early Rocket games. He hits the big shots down the stretch, he put this team on his back for 22 games, he scored 30 points a game (since wiht the yao deal u loved stats so much) in the playoffs last season. People put too much blame on McGrady for us failing in the playoffs and are forgetting the other 10 or so guys on the roster.

6- Dude, seriously you even want to try to argue how he is a solid defender? I could give a crap about stats because guess what, aside from teh scoreboard, no numbers matter. There is much more to defense than block shots. Defense is simple- dont let the other team score. Watch the games and see how often Yao has something to do with the other team scoring, it is quite a bit. Will it be every possesion? Absolutely not. As for your foul stat, wow I don't think I could express how much I don't care about that stat. As for the Chineese thing, I meant that if he didn't bring in so much revenue for us, I am pretty sure we would trade him, or not give him as much minutes. Fast break? Ok take away fast break points...but watch the positions were he is the last down the court, winded, and then he gives up an easy basket because someone had to switch back to their guy becuase they were helping with Yaos guy, or Yao didn't get there in time etc. I didn't necessarily mean fast break points. I dont care what you say "he had solid games against the suns" The suns destroyed us almost every time we played them with Yao. I dont care how many points he scored- we lost. Its simple. The Warriors? same deal (back when they were better I mean).

Now this is the worst part of your explanation: "You actually failed to state the one true reason that building around Yao could be a mistake and that is injuries. All the rest are stereotypes (too slow, defensive liability, foul prone) that you throw out there, yet somehow Yao is an established 20 and 10 player and there are not that many out there."

those arent stereotypes, those are facts bud. The all star game, yea it doesnt matter, but he was like "too much running"... well yea it might be an all star game but its still basketball. Yao might be a 20 10 guy, but he also gives up so much more. Is it worth the 20 10 for all the other stuff it costs us?

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I think Rafer will do well in Orlando and we will see a lot of "why didn't he play like that here?" comments from this forum.

Agreed. Downgrading PG was a bad idea. Even if this was a lateral move talent wise there will still be an adjustment phase and with the West being so tight that might just be enough to make this team miss the playoffs.

Agreed although I can't really think of a better option that is available. With all the firings and hirings of NBA coaches these days it is hard to evaluate how good many of these coaches are. I do believe Rick is still a good coach but he gets the benefit of the doubt too often based on what he did a decade ago and beyond. I will reserve my final judgment based on how the team does without McGrady ruining things on and off the court.

I agree this team needed the McGrady of a few years ago to win it all. At the same time the description you gave of him was mostly fantasy. It sounded like you accidentally described Kobe or Wade instead.

I disagree. He hasn't been healthy or played enough games to make a call yet.

Partially disagree. You are too hard on him and you undervalue a legit 20/10 guy. They don't grow on trees and there is always a place for a guy who puts up those numbers even if he does suck in some aspects of the game. I do, however believe that he must be surrounded by very vocal, aggressive players who can compensate for his lack of leadership.

You could be right. This team just lost it's franchise player. Any team would be potentially be looking at rebuilding when they lose all that talent but still have his huge salary handicapping any moves they make to replace him.

13. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i'm not going to respond to most of the points in this thread - but I will say that Yao is a very large reason that that rockets were buyers this year and not sellers.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Oh, and this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5j2F4VcBmeo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5j2F4VcBmeo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

15. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

When they pass to him, and he is unable to catch it, the turnover goes on the passer. This season he has greatly improved on his turnovers however. I have watched at least 70 games a season since our two championship years. I am sorry, I dont pay much attention to stats, I tell it like I see it. I have watched a lot of SA games as well, and been to 4 or 5. I have watched Dwight Howard play quite a bit as well. Yao seems to me like he turns it over much more a game.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

So YOU are the only one who has started a thread today who knows what the "truth" and the "reality" is. That's pretty impressive!

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

17. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

The stuff you said about Yao was dead on. If he didn't bring all the revenue from china etc. then he probably wouldn't be on this team...Morey is not stupid he knows Yao's game doesn't exactly translate to a championship....Is there a chance we can win it all...YES...there is always a chance in sports...any team can win at any given time no matter who they play, but I really don't see us winning anything with Yao unless we get a guy with some serious competitive fire in him. A guy like Dwade, Kobe, or LBJ...or if we build perfect team chemistry the way Detroit did a few years back, but even then they had a leader on the team that was vocal in Billups...Yao just can't be that kind of leader. I really wouldn't mind if Yao didn't play for us after 2010, but I would want a sign and trade so this team can move forward. Everybody is willing to give Yao a pass but he has been in the NBA for 7years and has done NOTHING and most likely will start to regress very soon.

18. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Yeah, but he doesn't. Your subject impressions are obviously untrustworthy.

Also, T-Mac's dead and buried. What's more it should be clear to even a casual observer that the Rockets played much, much better this season without him.

19. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

So basicly Alston is gone, Tmac and Artest is about to be gone, and if Houston wants to accomplish anything, Yao has to be gone?

20. ncagg42

ncagg42 Member

I can no longer stay on and defend my points or myself (big test tomorrow)

For those of you with actual insight, appreciate it- enjoyed actually talking basketball with you and having insightful debate, i mean this is a forum afterall.

For those of you calling me an idiot and offering no educated reply what so ever- I feel sorry for you being narrow minded and not have the patience to actually debate or discuss the topic at hand

"Small minds discuss people; average minds discuss events; great minds discuss ideas" - Maybe consider that before providing insight on this board in the future

I was simply posting my thoughts and insight, I was trying to be realistic, not optimistic nor pessimistic.