1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who would you rather have start: Von Wafer or Ron Artest?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketKobe24, Feb 17, 2009.

?

Who should start at shooting guard?

1. Von Wafer

49.7%
  2. Ron Artest

50.3%
  1. Persianfoo

Persianfoo Member

VON WAFER?! DUH! He is by far the hottest player on the team right now, hell hes been hot the last 4 months. He brings quickness, ENERGY, and ATTACKS THE BASKET unlike other shooting gaurds on this team.. And when von shoots the 3, he actually makes it. Von needs more playing time.

2. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I like Von Wafer to start. I think we need some early scoring and he can contribute to that. Then bring Artest of the bench as the 6th man to play some defense!

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Artest is a better player than Wafer on both ends of the court. You aren't adding offense by starting wafer over artest. Also, let me know when the current team has two stars in their lineup like the Spurs do with parker and duncan. Without T-Mac the rockets need artest complementing Yao as a starter.

4. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Agreed, that's what I said in my original/1st post.

That being said, to add to my last point about Manu Ginobili.

Roger Mason Jr. and Michael Finley start over him alright....Nobody is dumb enough to believe one of those guys are better than Manu. Just like nobody would be dumb enough here to think Wafer > Artest. That's just stupid. Ron Artest can contribute and can contribute a lot more if he comes off the bench. He needs to play a Manu Ginobili, Jason Terry, Toni Kukoc role this season.

5. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

I would rather have Von Wafer's versatility on offense over Artest's shooting. Ron Artest is actually more of a post guy if anything, he is much more of a post-player than he is a player who scores off the dribble. The starting lineup already consists of Scola and Yao Ming, they are both post players. Ron Artest's best offensive game is in the post, why not just feed it to him then? I mean Yao and Scola are probably sitting then anyways.

There is no need for 3 post players to play all at once and all play in the post. It's not like Wafer doesn't compliment Yao as a starter.

6. DVauthrin

Again, the Spurs have a big 3 of Parker, Duncan and Ginobili. The rockets right now have a duo of Yao and Artest. The situations are not the same. Unless McGrady comes back at full strength Artest is needed as a starter. You need somebody to take pressure off Yao.

Parker does that for Duncan, allowing manu to be a 6th man extraordinare.

7. DVauthrin

1) Wafer's defense is atrocious, and the team has a very slow PF/C combo. bad combination.

2) Artest can work inside or outside. he's not just a post player.

3) Without a 2nd player that defenses have to respect, Yao gets double and triple teamed as he touches the ball.

4) Artest's defense is needed on the other team's elite scorers with battier. Elite scorers tend to start for their teams, thus he needs to start.

8. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

So you are saying, Since Ron Artest has more of a reputation as a player he should start? I would rather have a low-profile guy like Von Wafer play anyways because it's not like he is incapable of hitting the 3 ball. He is just as good of a shooter as anyone on this team.

With/without Artest playing alongside Yao, Yao will still be doubled regardless, unless he has the Orlando Magic's starting lineup with him which is nothing but 3 point shooters, then maybe he wouldn't get doubled.

9. DVauthrin

Wrong. Ron Artest is a better offensive and defensive player so he should start. And while Yao will naturally get doubled, Artest gives opposing teams a 2nd player they have to focus on taking away when Yao is in the game. That means they can't load as much up on Yao.

10. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Well you got your opinion, I got mine. I would prefer a guy that could start off offensively since Shane Battier is going to be the starter no matter what. There is really nothing Battier could do off the bench. Artest can play his entire game when he comes off the bench, he's somewhat limited by Yao Ming if he starts with him. I understand your points, but I feel like mine are better.

11. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

wafer played 27 minutes, artest played 31 minutes, whats the problem here?

12. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

No problem, really would just like to know everybody's opinion on who is going to start at the 2 guard position, or who they prefer.

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

artest since hes been wanting to start

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Yup, check out the chron.com article. Artest says he feels he should've started all along so it's no contest: Artest should start. You can kiss your ass goodbye as far as Artest being a Rockets if RA now replaces him with Wafer. I like to see Artest at SF and Wafer at SG though, just like the Celtics game, but Battier is not really a spark off the bench so that is not going to happen.

15. homeboi

homeboi Member

Start with both of them, yeah I know when they both are missing the whole thing can be really ugly but they have alot of energy and if we could make Wafer pass just a LITTLE more it'll be just fine:rolleyes:

Artest and Battier ain't bad either, wouldn't really make a big difference just as long Ron starts, we need him on the both ends of the court.

16. opticon

opticon Member

Artest plays well of the bench but he is a even better as a starter. Whats so great about Wafer is he does not have to start in order for him to be productive as long as he gets around 25 min a game he is really productive.

I really like the rotation I saw last night. I really think we should shut Tracy down for the year and just wait. Iill the summer to start shopping him. In Tracy we have a 22 million dollar lotto ticket we cant cash for about 6 months we either sell that ticket now for half of is value or we can be patient and cash in the full value in six months.

I know if I was sitting on a 22 mil lotto ticket their is now way Im selling it for half of what it is worth just to get the money now when if I wait for a little bit I get the full value.

17. yearn

yearn Member

i like von wafer.but he need to play hard.and must pass ball.

18. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

I really like Artest but I think him starting slows down the game for us. We need ball movement which is what Wafer does to the team.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Anyone but Tracy.

DD

20. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

Wafer plays better with Yao, having more open shots opportunities with Yao drawing double team.

Ron should come off the bench and lead the 2nd unit with his individual attack, especially when Brooks is out of form lately.