1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Position to improve

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Which position and starter / back-up ?

1. PG - New starter

40 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. PG - Back-up (2nd / 3rd)

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. SG - New starter

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. SG - Back-up (2nd / 3rd)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. SF - New starter

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. SF - Back-up (2nd / 3rd)

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  7. PF - new starter

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. PF - Back-up (2nd / 3rd)

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. C - new starter

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. C - Back-up (2nd / 3rd)

14 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I know there have been many threads about trade speculations, rumours and players we should keep / trade etc.

What I would like to know from the fans here is: which position should the Rockets look to improve with a trade ? And then of course, if it should be just a back-up or a new starter ?

My answer is: a new back-up PF who is long and athletic. This is definetly what's been lacking the last few years and we need it now even more. I really believe this is the position to improve if you look at last night's game. Look at how hard Hayes, Landry and Scola had to work to get a basket to go in. They got many steals and blocks from those guys because mainly 2 are not dunkers so have to work their way around the defenders and the other one is a bit too small. We got blocked too many times, while I know Yao was responsible for most part, it still is a major weakness. I imagine us playing Phoenix or the Spurs in the first round and it scares me to have Scola, Landry and occassionally Hayes to guard Duncan / Amare.

So what's your take ?

2. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

True. Scola is a defensive liability. Landry is not strong enough to guard Amare, Paul Gasol, David West. Chuck is too short. So another strong PF will help.

Rafer has been amazing over the last two games. I am not sure he can keep that. He is Rafer after all.

3. joesr

joesr Member

i love scola but a 3 point pf would spread the paint/wing so nicely for yao

4. Cook1ez

Cook1ez Member

Even after Rafer's recent great play, he has been dreadful all year, almost.
    He also had some really garbage turnovers yesterday too. I really like him, but I think we need a new starting PG.

And to the poster before me, we can already do that. Slip Artest to the 4.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

With Tracy possibly out for...his career, we need an up grade at the PLAYMAKER position. It doesn't matter which actual position it is, it just needs to be someone who can create for others and take on the scoring load when teams clamp down.

We won't get that from Vince Carter, Mike Miller, Amare Stoudemire, or Corey Maggette. It's either going to be a PG or a young star (hint: Chris Bosh).

6. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Guys, we don't need a new PG.
    Now that tmac is out, you will see Rafer take on a new playmaker role much like he's shown that past two games. 13 & 11 assists.
    And he takes care of the ball all the while.
    We don't need a star PG to be our man when we have Yao & Artest.
    The Rockets do not need to make any moves regarding our rotation.

7. XBLRocketman111

XBLRocketman111 Contributing Member

At some point or another TMAC will be back on this team and when that happens rafer will go back to brickston.

You can't go into every thread forcing your opinion on everyone. GO in say what you want give your reasoning and be out. instead your floating around saying nobody needs to be traded but giving no explanation why you would think so.... Its obvious that alston plays better without mcgrady but Mcgrady get the big bucks he's the star players have to adapt to him... so obviously there has to be a change if mcgrady will continue as a rocket

8. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

a shot blocker. At least someone with legit size that can shore up the D. I'm bored with Rox having 2 blocks for and 10 blocks against.

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

We need tons of help at the wing, point guard is pretty weak, we have no shot blockers except for Deke which is like 90 yrs old, more players that go to the basket, and a clutch player to hit a game winning shot now T-mac is out....so yeah, we have many needs still.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post of the thread. We aren't likely to be able to get any help from a trade to address these issues by the end of the deadline,because the cost of getting such players is too high IMO.

11. panchowatzz

panchowatzz Member

Rafer Alston needs to go, we need a solid point guard that is able to run offense and shoot well also :cool:

12. missrachel007

missrachel007 New Member

:D ..................

13. Seth

Seth Member

I would try to move Battier (a player i like) for Bruce Bowen and Roger Mason.

SA will likely do it because they have a lot of SG and we will do it because Mason has turned into a reliable Offensive and defensive player and Bowen is still a defensive stopper.

14. mms

mms Member

On our depth chart:

C: Yao is great, backup C is a little shabby but OK.
    PF: Scolandryes is a good combo. Right now we better not to do the upgrade except that name is Bosh.
    SF&SG: Battier is OK and coming back to his 100%. Artest plays good w/o Tmac. Wafer is great. Barry is good enuf for 5-10 mins.
    PG: Rafer&Brooks are too inconsistent. This could be our major hole in the playoffs.

So, pg upgrade is a must but it seems there is no solution available.

15. bhainen

bhainen Member

The rockets have needed a true PG for awhile now, starting to think we won't get one.

16. mikeod79

mikeod79 Member

Rafer will improve as a true PG w/o T-Mac in the line up. He does not have to be as patient to wait for Mac to open up to give him the ball. He can drive to the hoop more and pass it to basically anyone on the court. The O will still go through Yao, but it opens alot of other peoples games up. I know he had the good game against the Nets, but I think he can have 8-9 assists a night with T-Mac on the shelf.

A new SG is what the Rox need. Wafer is very athletic and fun to watch, but he is no starter. A J.R. Smith type SG, basically Wafer but more rounded as a player. And someone who can hit shots consistently, The Rox have 4-5 players that when they are on they are great, but they are off on their shots more often than they are on.

17. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If Alston keeps up what he is doing now, we wouldnt need to make a upgrade imo... I've been saying this. Tell him to be a playmaker not a scorer.