1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With Tracy out now, which is the best way to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Which scenario would you go with?

1. Scenario A

258 vote(s)
    78.4%
  2. Scenario B

71 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Ok well obviously T-Mac is out for the season now and now we have to proceed with Yao Ming. There are only two scenarios left now, and that's if it even happens, but if you had a choice, which one would you choose?

Scenario A: We would keep Ron Artest, and everybody else and continue with this team to see how far we could get in the playoffs with THIS team as it is today.

Scenario B: We trade for Vince Carter, which would mean AT LEAST Carl Landry and Ron Artest would be going to NJ. Not saying no other player wouldn't, but that's what we would lose for sure for Carter.

Me personally, I'd go with Scenario B because of the fact that Carter is a similar player to T-Mac, and he has taken his team out of the first round before with clutch shots, etc. I think he would also be motivated in Houston, believing he can do something here, and he is having a really good year. I'm not saying Ron Artest can't do it, but I just don't see it with this team.

Now obviously this would impact our future plans for signings and etc (2010 or w/e) so take that into consideration before you pick one.

2. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Scenario B only if its Artest, Landry, Head and no other major pieces (Battier or Brooks)

Yao/Deke
    Scola/Hayes
    Battier/Barry
    Carter/Wafer
    Alston/Brooks

That seems pretty solid to me.
    If we have to give up Artest and Battier though, theres no way in hell I would do it.

3. xouterheavenx

xouterheavenx Member

people that voted for A.
    you guys gotta understand
    that artest will most likely BOLT!
    we have to get something for him right now.
    and carter would be the best thing to do right now.
    the rockets still have a solid chance in teh post season.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I would much rather go at this thing with Vince than Ron.

If that means we have to give up Landry in the process, I can live with that.

If we have to give up Battier too... then no.

5. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'd rather keep Landry than Battier. Artest, Battier and Head would be my offer. Landry, Brooks and Wafer should be relatively untouchable imo.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

That's why we should try to resign/extend him NOW! Gee I wish someone would make a thread about that...

7. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I vote Scenario A... if only because I don't want to lose Landry.

I think Landry can be part of a young nucleus for the future Rockets. I'd rather keep the young players and cash out this year. Why?

Amare recovered from microfracture surgery, yes. But can T-Mac? A trade for VC puts the Rockets into win now mode. The thing is, the way this team is constituted leads to extremely quick rebuilding. You sign a big FA in 2010 or 2011, make a good draft pick, and you're back. Brooks/Scolandry/Yao can and will get the job done once that little bit is there.

On the other hand, trading for VC means giving up a significant young player on the team. It also most probably means giving up Battier, meaning the Rockets lose a considerable amount of defense.

Brooks, T-Mac, VC, and Yao cannot win. Period. One of the liabilities of having Yao is that his team will always rely on defense to be successful. He's too slow to run up and down the floor. The Rockets won't outscore anybody with that team, and that's the only way that team can win.

I'd rather have quick future success than a 2nd round exit followed by another long Francis/Cat period. And to those who think the team won't get anything for Artest...

How about $7 million off the books?

8. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Agree 100%. Except for that I hope we get Boone too for some depth.

We have 2 true SF that could start, Battier and Artest.

We have one true SG that could start with T-mac out, Wafer. (maybe Artest but I prefer him at the 3. With T-mac out, Alston can be a true PG, which is what he is. When T-mac takes control of the ball Rafer becomes a shooter, which is something hes not. He's a playmaker and distributor. VC can slash to the basket and create havoc for big men trying to guard Yao and then worry about the constant threat of VC (something T-mac used to be able to put among those in the paint). Of course we lose on the defensive end, but still have a decent D compared to the elite Western teams (outside of San Antonio, and even they aren't the defensive team they used to be).

Why not trade away Artest, when he may not sign with us next year, and we have Vince guarenteed for 2 more years.

Lets make it happen!

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'd rather have Ron.

He brings defense, heart, desire and a post presence than Vince Carter.

10. Bruins&RedSox21

I am truly 100% neutral on this. I would be happy either way. I really think Artest could bring it with his intensity in the postseason, but OTOH, Carter would be nice too. I think I would actually be happy either way.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

By the time Carter's contract expires, we'll likely be in a similar situation to what we are now with McGrady. Diminishing returns on an albatross contract. I believe we'll be better in the long run if we let both contracts expire and spend the money in free agency.

Also, I believe we have Artest's Bird rights which could allow us to do a sign and trade.

12. rockets018

rockets018 Member

13. Rocketrock

Rocketrock Member

Obvious A, we want to be a player in 2010 market, Morey said that long time ago. Carter's contract ends after 2010

14. Throwed247

Throwed247 Member

I personally am really just more interested in what WILL happen, not what everyone here thinks SHOULD happen. Anybody have any news about how this injury affects the Rockets pursuit to trade Artest?

15. gaily

gaily Member

No way I will do plan B. Carter has a fat a** contract ending in 4 years. Waaaay too long

16. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

I like the team now because Rafer can be more of a playmaker, Artest is a starter and playing for a contract and Wafer is getting more playing time and playing a contract

17. Herb

Herb Member

I chose 'A'. I like Carter but his contract is too long and the proposed trade has the Rockets giving up too much depth. Carter isn't much of an upgrade over Artest either. I'd rather lose Artest for nothing than take on a big long-term contract that Carter has.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Actually, 2 years after this. I don't think that's too bad.

19. beachboys

beachboys Member

I voted for A.

If T-Mac is not playing anymore. Why don't we let the current roster try out? We don't really need a super star but some one who can shot the ball into the basket.
    Any trade which not involving T-Mac I would say no. If really cannot done it, just sit him on the bench until the contract end.

As a fans, I don't want to see him spoils the chemistry time in and time out.