1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tell me your stories when McGrady first came to Houston...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaocsaephan, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

biggest trade in rockets history. i thought he was the best offensive player in the nba. (better than kobe)

2. BoomShakalaka

BoomShakalaka Member

I always felt he was overrated, I admit I wasn't very excited as others were.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I felt he was better than Francis,Mobley but I wasn't convinced that he was tough enough.I did like his talent, but I also was concerned about his back.I felt that the Rockets would have looked at his health before trading for him though. I also felt that he might have trouble with outside shooting, but still hoped that playing with Yao would make things easier for him.

4. xieshuang19

xieshuang19 New Member

when tmac went to Rockets,i became a rockets' fan,and no matter where tracy go,i always his fan``

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I call shens.

6. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Agreed : ]

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

None of the players we dealt for McGrady are playing anymore (wow, none of them are THAT old) but the irony is what was always considered the biggest needs now for this team ? -
    point guard, athleticism & scoring at the wing, and a long athletic backup center would could play more than 20 minutes a game! (though Mutombo was a good pickup)

I was excited to watch him in the 1st Rocket year against Kobe in Staples Center. This was right when the Sura, Barry, Wesley & Mike James Rockets were absolutely rockin & rollin. McGrady was cooly, confidentally & healthily quieting the crowd with effortless jumpers from all over. I really like the swag he and the team had at that time....

But it wasnt to be...

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I was like "freaking awesome." Now I'm like why can't he be durable/motivated like Kobe? :mad:

9. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

When I heard the trade was going down I was absolutely stoked. I remember listening to the radio non stop for updates. I remember thinking I hope Steve Francis doesnt kill this trade. I was sure we were going to win a championship.

10. SunsRocketsfan

i was so excited i went out and had sex with every girl i knew!! hehe or atleast i tried to... :) only one of them gave in.. but yeah those were good times.....sadly it looks like tmac might be done

11. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Damn, I'm envious about the excitement some of you had. I can imagine looking for all articles, listening to the radio, and watching ESPN updates, hoping the trade will go through. Totally jealous. T-Mac in his prime, at a young age, coming to your team and playing with an up and coming all-star center?

Injuries :mad:

12. arjun

arjun Member

i was in new york at the time, and went to the Today show with a sign that said welcome to houston t-mac!

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I was ecstatic. I'm one of the biggest Francis fans you'll ever meet and even I was more than willing to help him pack his bags. T-Mac was one of the best players in the league at the time. Regardless of how it played out, you still do that trade over again. As Shroopy2 pointed out: NONE of those guys we gave up are still playing.

Agreed with thacabbage on the peak of the T-Mac/Yao era being T-Mac's game winner at the end of Game 2. I remember watching that game on this giant mega TV at my college's youth services center with my *DALLAS FAN ROOMMATE* -- nobody in the room but us and this 60" TV. Everything from the infamous Shawn Bradley poster dunk to T-Mac's cold-blooded shot at the end of Game 2 made that night unforgettable.

The silent tension between my roommate and I during that series was actually quite entertaining. We didn't say a word to each other until after Game 5's officiating monstrosity when I absolutely lost it. I was so fed up with that team, their antics and the disastrous officiating I went completely berserk.

14. Rover16

Rover16 Member

I was ecstatic cause we were getting a superstar and former scoring champ. Plus we were getting rid of cancerous francis. Hasn't worked out like I hoped, but at least we got rid of francis in the process.

15. 0Alex0

0Alex0 New Member

the moment i knew t-mac had come, i was sad. i love sf3 and i hoped he could win the champion with yao.

16. cassidy

cassidy Member

Glad to see this post.Cause there are too many posts blaming T-MAC in this BBS.That really makes me feel dissapointed.Anyway thank you guys.
    At first ,I was a fan of YAO and,cause T-MAC and YAO are teamates,so I began to focus on Tracy,after he got 13 points in 33 seconds,i became one of T-MAC fans.I believe ,and I know we Tracy's fans believe in T-mac .SO.
    Tracy,Hang in there!Cheer up.

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Didn't like it. I felt like we gave up entirely to much to get him giving that he had quit on his team and that should have dropped his value. Steve had to go for money reasons, but I felt like we should have kept Cuttino out of the deal. I think we could have gotten more by splitting Steve and Cat up then we did in a package together. We got three players out of the deal, two of which were fillers from the beginning in mind, and gave up two starters and a big.

18. kwng

kwng Member

I was surprised and excited when I knew TMac is coming to Houston but then
    I was upset about the deal that included Mobley. I was also sad to know Francis will be gone after the deal. I was hoping the deal would not include Mobley. Imagine what a team of TMac, Yao and Mobley can do.

19. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

A wave of nostalgia overwhelms me...

As a Chinese, I am a Rocket fan only because of Yao. At that time, I was the biggest fan of T-mac. I started to use him in PC game NBA Live 2000, and my fondness of him grew as he won consecutive scoring champs. His name, along with Kobe, was on every bastketball fan's lips here in China.

My friends all came to congratulate me when T-mac was traded to the Rockets, since my two favorite players would ally for the same course. Though this combination never panned out, I still find the memory beautiful.

It is ironic how I turned from T-mac's biggest fan to one of his most vocal critics.

20. cson

cson Contributing Member

I was at an Internet Cafe' in Dublin, Ireland. Got the news from right here (ClutchFans) and was terribly dissappointed. I knew Stevie wasn't workin' out and we'd already ditch Rudy T to try to turn it around, however, I'd thought Tracy was a punk from his days in Toronto, how he treated his team mates there even if they were family. And, well...here we are.