1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McGrady Embarassed about Missed Dunk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 11, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6257324.html

[rquoter]
    Dunk on the wrong side

“Oh, man,” McGrady said, sheepishly grinning and shaking his head. “That was a first in my career. I had all my boys calling me about that one. That was pretty bad.

“I was trying to get my steps right. This was going to be the first time I was ever going to jump off my (left) leg. When I got the ball, I was already nervous. I was like, ‘I hope somebody catches up with me so I can pass the ball.’ I don’t have confidence jumping off my left leg.

That was the first time I was in a situation where I was going to do that. I saw the guy out of the corner of my eye, so I went to change up my shot and no elevation.”

[/rquoter]

Could someone please explain to me why the hell the Rockets would not have gotten him used to jumping off his left leg and right leg in a controlled setting -- in PRACTICE? How is it possible that he would use an actual game to try that for "the first time"?

Does he just mean that its the first time he was going to try it in a game? Or, literally, the first time this season? Because, if he trained properly in those 2 weeks the Rockets gave him off, confidence should not be an issue at this stage. It's a simple dunk he's done a million times in the past. This really isn't adding up for me.

2. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

This is pretty much what Hilltopper posted in the TMAC video. It's all mental with Tmac.

3. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Shouldn't have come back.

4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think the evidence is pretty clear in his 1.) lack of confidence in the hurt leg or 2.) lack of strength in his hurt leg or 3.) both 1 and 2 this whole season. He always drives left (planting and pushing off right/good leg). It may not be 100% of the time, but it has to be close.

Why they haven't really tested it out in practice or whatnot, who knows. Maybe they have, but game time is different than practice...as we saw there.

I'm glad to hear he can even laugh and be humble about it. It is concerning that his knee is still that weak. Apparently it is the knee because he actually tried to jump off it and it didn't happen. Guess he's not faking it, because I don't think he'd embarrass himself like that just to fake the injury.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

He could have just lay it down. At least this wouldn't happen...

Mental, it's all mental.

6. 24 in a roll

24 in a roll Member

all i know is that mcgrady has a peculiar mind, really, listen to him talk, watch his body language, everything about him is peculiar.

7. Rocketsfan_RN

Rocketsfan_RN Member

he should feel embarrassed! He's 6'9" and cant dunk :confused:

8. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

He should have been sitting out since Dec till after the All-Star game..

9. roksoer

roksoer Member

it's not mental lol this is the best proof you can get that it isn't mental, he just can't jump, i have a similar problem with my left knee, sometimes it just doesn't let me get off the floor

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[rquoter]I was like, ‘I hope somebody catches up with me so I can pass the ball.’ [/rquoter]

THIS is the guy everyone said "we have no chance in the playoffs" without? This guy is going to lead the Rockets to a playoff series win? Artest is leaving and this guy is staying? What a joke. Should have traded him LAST year. All of this crap would have been avoided.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That was my feeling about it. Surely he's jumped off of it in practice. Surely.

12. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

As I mentioned in another thread, why did he add complexity to an already tough situation for himself? There was no rhyme or reason for him to be trying a reversal on that dunk. If he was nervous, anxious about jumping off that left leg for the first time in a game-time setting, then why, why, WHY did he not just jam it home real simple-like?

At this point I could care less about him missing the dunk. I'm more concerned that he is missing some screws upstairs and just needs to keep his mouth closed and head down the rest of the season. It'll do everyone some good. He's doing himself no favors, NONE, by proclaiming he's "back" and then saying he's afraid to jump off that left leg.

13. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

mcgrady fails to deliver and publically embarasses himself and the team.

in other news . . .

water is wet, the sky is blue, and grass is green.

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

To me it seems like he just went up for the dunk and blew it.

He's just saying all this other stuff so he doesn't look like he's done. It sounds better to say 'i just don't have confidence in it yet' then to say 'i just can't jump right now. I'm devoid of athleticism which renders me a shell of the shell of my former self i've been the last couple years.'

15. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

This dude is softer than a mice pissing on cotton.

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Dream played without eating during the daylight, on blood thinners, etc... Where are the true tough guys in the NBA. Premadonnas are killing me.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

He had no business trying a reverse dunk. He struggled to get down the court after the steal.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

but it was one of those weak reverses, the ones where you just go at the side of the rim instead of turning all the way around...and he wasn't even close.

Even if he doesn't dunk again for the rest of his career you have to be able jump in the NBA, well unless you're 7'6.

19. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Hopefully he is embarassed enough to want to make up for it the rest of the season. Maybe a blessing in disguise? I know if I made an ass outta myself, I'd want to thrown down as much as possible to equalize the embarassment.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

I thought he lost his focus when he looked back at the defender. It looks like he thought the defender would make a play on the ball.