1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you like an Alonzo with that?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Oski2005, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I wanted people to read my idea, so I'm reposting it here with a new thread. Basically, it's in response to Pat being very interested in Ming.

:cool: If we get the #1 and Pat wants it, he'd better be ready to give us Zo. I don't care what Pat offers, if Zo isn't in the deal then there shouldn't be one. If we had Zo, I'm sure we could be ok with not getting the SF we want. We just need somebody to knock down threes and swing the ball around the arc. Man, if we had Zo, our defense would improve quicker than you could say "Cato sucks." We wouldn't need a SF because we would Have Griff starting there anyway. Can you guys imagine the block party that Griffin and Zo would put on if they played together? I suppose we'd have to trade KT or Taylor. If Rice is healthy, then we could probably put him in the 3 spot, we'd probably have to trade both KT and Taylor for salary reasons so then Griff would start at PF. Even if he only puts on 10 lbs that would be good enough. Zo could score what Taylor and Cato do by himself so he would have to be the first option. I think Francis wouldn't mind deferring to him. And if you are worried about his health, well if the unfortunate should happen and ends up having to retire early, that frees up a lot of cap space to go after Duncan.:cool:

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You forgot to mention how old this kid is ..

I dont want another kevin willis.

3. Oski2005

He's 32, still has a couple of good miles left on him.

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

To get Zo, wouldn't we have to throw in a LOT of cap filler, much of which the Heat probably wouldnt want?

I'm not sure of Zo's contract, but I know to even get the trade close we'd have to throw in Rice.

I've heard that Rice would have liked to go back to Miami, but I seriously doubt anyone will take him off of our hands. Especially for Zo + .

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Don't believe everything Riley says...he's posturing for publicity hoping to boost sales of his new book. :)

In order to get Zo, the Rockets will have to talk Miami into contracts totalling nearly $14.2m (Zo's $20.6m less 2 rookie scale salaries). The Heat have nearly all of their cap $ tied up in Zo, Grant and Eddie Jones.

Why would the Heat want to take on MoT's 5 years @ $42.5m when they already have Brian Grant at PF and they lose Zo's $20.6m next summer?

IMHO, the Heat wouldn't even return a phone call unless the offer mentioned #5 & EG.

As unlikely as the deal is to occur, it has an additional problem. Zo is an FA next summer and can walk. In that case, the Rocks lost both picks and some quality players. Too risky.

6. Sane

Sane Member

Zo makes 20M?

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

How about this:

MoT (7)
    Rice (8)
    Cato (7)

for

Zo (20)
    Filler (2)

Thats a nice trade for us. Our money is tied up in one place, and all that money cmoes to an end at one time. Plus we get an excellent C. Not as good as before, but still one of the best at the moment. Besides, he's probably going to come back stronger next year. He played the season, and knows what to expect. Knows his limits. Knows what he can do. Doesn't have to carry as much offensive load.

From Zo?

15pts
    10reb
    3blk

Jesus. Zo/Griffin/T-Mo? They can average around 8 blocks between them. All 3 play great D. I like that line-up:

Zo/Collier/Willis
    Griff/KT(15th pick)
    T-Mo/(15th pick)
    Cat/Torres
    Francis/Mooch

Of course, the 15th pick is a 3/4 type player. I'd be happy to trade Mooch and our pick for another backup PG (prefferably old, experienced, maybe Avery Johnson) and a 3/4 guy like Rodney Rogers or Corlis Williamson.

7. Smoke

Smoke Member

Zo would make us a better team, but not a Championship team. When he left, in a couple years, we'd be right back were we are now. It would be nice to get rid of Rice and all, but I wouldn't trade Ming for Zo. I think we could get a better trade than that. The problem is, the teams that drool over Ming, like us, don't have a young Star center to trade. We would have to trade him for a player at a different position, to get the best deal.
    I don't believe Ming is the answer for us, but what else could we do with the #1 pick. Trade it to Chicago for Eddie Curry?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys forget that Rudy and CD voided a trade for Sean Elliot because of his kidney condition, I seriously doubt that their positions has changed.

DaDakota

9. Sane

Sane Member

Good point DaDa. But this is different. ZO wold make a much bigger impact at the least talented position in the NBA. Plus we lose Rice's contract, Mo's contract. Zo's contract is 2 or 3 years. That's pretty good.

I'd rather have Ming though.

It's also safe to say no one would take MoT and Rice in the same deal. No one would take a risk on TWO injured players.

10. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

miami wont trade zo...you guys know that.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Another viable option that people will probably bash me on is taylor for bad feet big z in cleveland or cato for bad hip ratliff. Another trade possibilty is Jerome James from seattle who has good hands ,is big and has a ok back to the basket game. If riley wants to deal zo and I'm the Rockets, they would probably have to give up Rice,Cato, and that pick at number 5 or so. Riley gets that high pick o go along with their pick to start the rebuilding. Dealing with zo, if he performs like he did this past yr, then you can extend him at a reduced rate or let him walk and make a run at duncan. Its going to have to take some forward thinking to get this team out of this drought.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Nugzfan, why do you say that?

Did you think Phoenix would trade Kidd? Did you think Phoenix would trade Unle Cliffy for what they got?

There are other things to consider in trades OTHER than the quality of the players being traded.

Miami will be unable to have a 10 man roster next year and stay competitive without exceeding the luxury tax limit. You better believe they'd rather be competitive than keep Zo, who can't caryy the load THEY need.

13. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

ugh...think people, think!

the heat wont trade zo unless its an unreal deal. think about what you would trade francis for...it would take ALOT wouldnt it? same for them. they love zo. riley loves zo.

certianly it would take far far more than you guys could offer, considering mobley, francis and griff are untouchable (why? dunno... :rolleyes: )

"There are other things to consider in trades OTHER than the quality of the players being traded"

something i firmly believe in, yet get ripped non stop because you want the nuggets to take rice so you can get rice (this board in general).

the hypocracy i read on this board on a daily basis is a joke.

14. Sane

Sane Member

Nugzfan,

You get yourself into stupid arguments by calling other people's opinions "jokes".

Zo to the Heat is not as valuable as Francis to the Rockets anymore. Zo is 32 year old, can't play like he used to. Has a 20M dollar contract that's hurting them in getting a full roster every season.

At the beginning of the season, when there was no hope, he was rumored to be offered to the Clippers. Now that we saw his limits, what do you think?

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'd be more worried about Zo's health than anything else. Pat Riley is a snake. As much as he loves Zo, he loves winning more. If he thought for a minute that Zo could help them win in Miami, he would not even think of bringing his name up in trade talks. On the flip side even with his illness, I consider him to be a top 4 or 5 center in the league.

If we are getting him just to clear some cap space in a year, i dont know if im thrilled with that idea....but if it gets rid of MO T....get it done!!!!!!!!

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

leebigez - Jerome James is an unrestricted FA and could be had via MCE. I agree about James' abilities. Good point about Zo walking and having the cap space.

IMO, Riley would move Zo for the right offer. Miami will receive very good offers for ZO so don't for a moment think they'll take both Rice and Taylor. It would take #5, Rice (or Taylor) and Griffin to get Riley's attention.

17. Oski2005

Is Jerome James that dude who never played a game of Highschool ball? Like he had to work on a dairy farm to take care of his family after school or something. If that's him, he's raw, but he's got his head on straight. I also heard C-Webb is mentoring him and teaching him how to play. He's worth a shot.

18. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

how is it stupid? its true.

just try and get zo without touching your big 3. just try. they would hang up on you. im telling you, they LOVE zo in miami. i doubt griff would get you zo. plus to match salaries you gotta start throwing all those bad contracts they dont want.

rumored...to goto la...yet he didnt? oh yeah, that really proves alot.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Nugz: Maybe people wouldn't come back at you so hard if you didn't say things like:

<b>certianly it would take far far more than you guys could offer, considering mobley, francis and griff are untouchable (why? dunno... :rolleyes: )</b>

And this is further proof...

<b>(this board in general)...

the hypocracy i read on this board on a daily basis is a joke.</b>

No, the joke is that you are a fan of the Nuggets but have nothing better to do than come on to a Rockets fan site and rip us for OUR stupidity.

You act like you are the re-incarnation of Red Auerbach with your all-knowing ability to see the future and to see deep into the minds of GM's and coaches throughout the league to tell us what people will and won't do.

You have no monopoly on the truth or on common sense. Common sense would tell you that it is a mistake to come into enemy territory and tell us why we don't know what we are talking about.

Why would you do that? dunno... :rolleyes:

20. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

maybe...but it doesnt bother me. i mean, the only reason i get criticized for what i say, while others dont is cuz my name is NugzFan. period. the things ive read about the nuggets on this board can get pretty bad. but i accept it.

i could easily make pages upon pages of quotes from this bbs that are laughable, if even you guys read them now. the reason im so confident is taht i dont put myself into a corner by making absurd comments and predictions and things like 'yeah the nuggets would do rice/5th pick for dice cuz dice wants out' etc. i merely use common sense and facts to back up my opinions. i mean what have i ever said thats so wrong or inaccurate? rarely anything because i stay away from stuff like that.

of course when i generalize and say 'this board this or this board that' i dont mean the entire board (ive clarified it before many times) but it does mean quite a few. most guys here are cool n all, but some are just stupid. i mean yeah opinions are opinions, but some opinions are stupid. its not my fault they posted it. but its a message board and im gonna reply.

face it - this board does have homers and they want certain things...they dont like it when their fantasy bubbles burst. they want that hope that they can trade rice for zo or williams for kobe or whatever.

i dunno. i guess it shouldnt understand it cuz its a rocket fan thing. (and a knick fan thing). maybe its a 1994 (?) finals thing? whatever.

"Common sense would tell you that it is a mistake to come into enemy territory and tell us why we don't know what we are talking about."

absolutely not. if 100 people say something, and its pretty obvious its wrong, i have no problem saying that (i think alot of people are shocked someone would even try). im confident enough and its all good - i love talking nba.

but ill apologize now for anything i said out of line that was taken personally.