1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lewis may be a bit of a softee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DearRock, Apr 27, 2002.

1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Hope he is okay, but as a team that is perennially injured we need to be careful.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I've always felt Lewis is OVERHYPED. I might turn into an everyday ZRB if my beloved Rox picked up weak ass Rashard.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I almost wish we'd get Lewis, and he suck ala Pippen just to shut everyone up about passing him up 4 years ago. Of course, then everyone would blame it on the coaching instead of the player.

4. Sane

Sane Member

Wow, I thought you'd be flamed by now.

I too think Lewis will put a limit on what we can achieve. We'll be better than the 7th/8th seeds, worse than the Lakers Mavs. We'll be like the Wolves.

Odom on the other hand will give us a team with no limits.

Get Odom, emphasize defense and ball movement all season long. With 2 ball handlers, it won't be much of a problem.

If we can get rid of Rice while getting Odom, that would be great.

I know no one wants Rice, but which team in the league doesn't want him less than everybody else?

I guess it goes like this: Who wants the 5th pick bad enough to take Rice?

It's so so so weird, but the Nuggets come to mind....

Before Nugzfan starts flamin me, listen up....

You're trying to rebuild. You have the 4th pick in the draft. You have a chance to get a foot up in the rebuilding process with a trade like this:

4-way blockbuster:

Houston sends

KT (Denver)
    Rice (Denver)
    Chicago obligation

Houston gets

George McCloud
    Lamar Odom
    Matt Bullard (key component)
    Robert Traylor

Denver sends

McCloud
    Hardaway
    McDyess

Denver gets

KT
    Rice
    Elden Campbell
    Clippers 2nd first rounder

Clippers trade

Ekezie
    Odom
    2nd first rounder

Clippers get

Hardaway
    Chicago obligation (2 2nd rounders)
    Charlotte pick (late teens?)

Charlotte trades

Bullard
    Traylor
    Campbell
    1st round pick

Charlotte get

McDyess
    Ekezie

Trade accepted.

Had to work on this, so thoughts?

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

6. Sane

Sane Member

They're going to buy out Hardaway. Why aren't they getting enough?

3 solid building blocks. They're getting KT, a young MIP candidate, and 2 first round picks. They have one of their own. They pick 3 players in the first round. Probably all below the 20th pick, which is great I think. They pick a PF, a SG, and the best player available with the 3rd.

If they don't end up with busts, that's a huge boost, right?

I think they'd be fine with Arroyo and Satterfield at the 1. KT and Howard the 4. Campbell the 5. Posey at 3 or 2. Add 3 picks, DOnnel Harvey adn Voshon Lenard. Better than this year's team.

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You said KT was a young MIP candidate...

going away from homerness, (i do it too) - exactly how many votes did he get? Don't make him sound like 2 - 3rd place... he wasn't even in the running.

8. Band Geek Mobster

Did you guys not notice how clutch Rashard was in game 2?

He drained many pressure FT's in the game and also had a couple nice baskets.

The guy's hurting all over, cut him some slack...

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

bgm, its a lot of hatin' on this board. People think the world of our talent and evry other teams players are overrated. I'm looking for the guy that said Baron Davis didn't carry the hornets in the playoffs last yr or that he has great players around him. I guess that guy is trying to find some fault in that triple double he put up today.

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Lewis wasn't a "softee" when he helped lead the Sonics to a game-2 road victory with eleven points in the fourth quarter.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

What are you talking about? I'm probably the one you're referring to. I said Baron Davis did not carry the Hornets last season, because he didn't. If you have another player on the team (Mashburn) who is scoring more than Davis its kind of hard to say that Davis is <i>carrying</i> the team. Baron was a huge part of the Hornets playoff run last season, but there is no way in hell he carried them. That implies he did it singlehandedly, which is simply not true. Without Mashburn they don't have the success they did last season. Without Davis they don't have the same success they did last season. It was more than just a one person achievement like you would have us believe. And yes, I do think Steve is a better player than Davis, but that's just a matter of opinion. I don't think you can say with certainty under the circumstances at this point in their career that Baron is better than Steve. Just because I thought you were exaggarating some of Davis' past accomplishments and because I don't agree that he's better than Steve doesn't mean that I think Baron is overrated.

Having said that, today Davis definitely carried the Hornets and I let my amazement known in another thread long before you even posted this.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32629

Oh yeah, and as for this thread, just check the sig!

#11 DCkid, Apr 27, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2002
  12. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

not to nitpick but why would the clips do that trade. they give up their 2nd 1st round pick for a worse 1st round pick and then essentially odom for 2 2nd rounders and hardaway who is useless at this point. maybe i'm missing something.

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I think Rashard is kind of soft too. And for those who think Lewis is a player who deserves the max, then you are stupid.

14. Band Geek Mobster

Does any Rockets player <i>deserve</i> the max?

15. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

nope - takes away all our cap room for just the 5th pick. not worth it.

16. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

we get some good talent but not worth the cap space we lose.

you really seem intent on improving the nuggets at all costs...id rather win 25 next year, and then 40 the year after, than 30 next year and 30 the year after and after.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

leebigez- i don't know if you're talking to me or dckid, but no one ever said that baron wasn't awesome or that he was surrounded by "great" players. it's just that you give WAY WAY too much credit to davis for charlotte's success. they're not nearly as good without him but they're not exactly dead in the water either. i believe you once said he had equal talent surrounding him in charlotte as steve does here. that is an absolute joke. last year they were comparable and well we had equal seasons, but charlotte took advantage of a much weaker conference. i'll say this, both players are great but i'm just happy with what we have.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Big M or DCKid- I don't want to turn this ino a Francis vs Davis contest, but in case you don'thave directv and league pass, you will never be able to realize what some of the other players bring to their team. Ok, it's true Mashburn was the leading scorer for the Hornets last yr especially in the playoffs, but who do you think pushed the tempo past hardaway and made the heat play on their heels the entire short series? Its evident that the hornets can play and win short stretches without mashburn, but how would they fare without davis? I mean they played 40 games without him, but they were still close or above .500. Lets flip the script, take Cat away from Houston for 40 games what would our record be? Lets face the facts that we have equal talent , if not more than charlotte ,but they make the playoffs (in a weaker conference) than we do. thats doesn't mean that Davis will be better than steve or not, but it seems to me he plays under more control, gets more people involved, and has a better system to work with than Francis. I know this hread is about Lewis, but some people on this board saying the the 15th and Thomas is nough for Odom just tickles me.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Nugzfan,

What lost cap room?

Those contracts are all either 1 year or 2 year. They're all serviceable players. You'er gettnig the good end of this deal. You're NOT losing cap space. You're erserving cap space for the 5th pick.

BTW, KT was a candidate, and I said nothing more. He was in the running until his late season injuries and the loss of francis and Cat put too much pressure on him. He is young. He is VERY improved. He is very effective. But we don't need him anymore.

Clipps are trading a player they don't need or want, for depth or possibly trading up for Jason WIlliams.

Like I said. In trades, there's much more to consider than player abilities. Depth, future, cap space, trading up, clearing a glut.

Look at everything.

20. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

It doesn't matter who we have playing the three, untill Rudy realizes the rules have changed he will be an ineffective spot up shooter.