1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Parker is the Real Deal!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, Apr 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Man, he's frickin' unbelievable. 19 years old? He could easily be a future All-Star. Outplaying Gary Payton? You gotta be kidding me. He's definitely fun to watch. After watching this game, maybe it is <i>Jesus</i> Parker.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Great performance from Tony... I thought Payton was supposed to have his revenge? :confused:

By the way, enjoy the game, ZRB?

:)

3. Band Geek Mobster

Well that's what happens when a jumpshooting team goes cold...

4. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Is Parker a better player than Steve Francis? Unfortunately, I would have to say the answer is yes. Parker is just as quick if not quicker and much smarter than Francis. Of course it helps to have Duncan, but I believe Parker will be (if he isnt already) a better player than Francis.

Parker made GP look like DRob in 95 tonight. He flat out destroyed him.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm guessing Jesus is the best PG in the NBA now, huh? :rolleyes:

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:confused:

First off, let me know when Parker can consistently give 20 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists per game. Second, you were about the last person on earth I would expect to make that comment... talk about bringing a surprise.

7. Cato=Bum

Cato=Bum Member

Best PG's in the NBA IMO:

1) Jason Kidd
    2) Gary Payton (despite today's game)
    3) Andre Miller/Baron Davis
    5) John Stockton
    6) Steve Nash
    7) Tony Parker
    8) Stevie "Franchise"

Parker could easily move up quickly though. He's definitely a very scary player. Plays good D, quick as anything, clutch, pretty good outside J, runs the offense very well for being 19.

8. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Cato=Bum,
    What's your recipe for making this team a winner if SF is only the ith best PG? What do we keep and what do we throw away? If he's only eighth best, my guess is were lottery bound next year, too.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Give me a break.

Parker was given ten feet on every play because Payton had to drop off to give the quick double team on Duncan. To mention Parker in the same breath with the elite point guards in the NBA is an insult to the elite point guards in the NBA.

The only reason he even looks like a mediocre player is Tim Duncan, the same way Shaq makes Derek Fisher look like a legitimate starter.

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

No he isn't. He's just taking advantage of having Tim Duncan on his team.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Come on guys. I'm not saying Tony Parker is the one of the best point guards in the league like some others. The Jesus Parker thing was a joke. However, there is no denying he's a very talented player. Tim Duncan has nothing to do with the quickness, ballhandling, and guts he has shown in his rookie season at 19 YEARS OLD!!! If you think he's only been good because of Tim Duncan you need to watch a little closer. He's going to be a great player, and as much as I hate the Spurs, he's fun to watch.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Thank You!!! I like Tony Parker alot, and he runs the Spurs offense very well but comon guys!

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

didn't he average just a little over 4 assists per game this season and wasn't he normally not the best outside shooter despite i'm sure getting quite a few good lucks thanks to duncan. i'm not saying he's not talented and to do it at 19 is great but come on, one game where everything goes right and having everyone watch duncan does not make tony great. hell i remember steve having quite a few huge stat games against the glove a season ago, it happens. and parker's good at defense? i haven't watched him much this season but i do think steve took it to him pretty easily and that's with guys named duncan and robinson backing him up. steve has the fearsome cato/thomas combo to scare people away.

anyway, he played a great game but saying he's better than steve is laughable. ask any gm who'd they'd rather have, don't think you'll get a lot of marks in the parker column.

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

How about Parker's dream shake move in the 3rd quarter. Had me yelling, doesn't happen with a player in a non-rockets game that often.

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the great tony parker folks

9.2 pts, 4.3 asts, 2.6 reb, 2.0 to, .419 fg, .323 3pt, .675 ft

little ol' steve francis

21.6 pts, 6.4 asts, 7.0 reb, 3.9 to, .417 fg, .324 3pt, .773 ft

watch out steve, he has you beat in asts/to ratio by .35, you must be worse.

edit: actually more like .53, apparently it helps if you actually divide asts by to's and not rebs by to's

#15 francis 4 prez, Apr 28, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2002
  16. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Does this remind anyone of Matt Maloney and how "great" he was when he lit up GP back in the '97 playoffs? Oh yeah, he was going to do wonders...:rolleyes:

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

half as many points
    half as many turnovers

at 19, his numbers are outstanding

but i've hardly seen him play so....

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Another thing, lets say Steve and Tony switch teams. Who really believes we'd be better and San Antonio wouldn't have a one way ticket to the NBA finals? Hopefully (if there is a God), no one.

19. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

where is davis?

20. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

totally agree.