1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Wally in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drexlerfan22, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ark . . gag .. eergsghfr

Don't do that again . . .I nearly choked on my breakfast.
    Isn't Wally Taller?

Rocket River
    DaDakota giving Cat a compliment. :)

2. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's an idea for you. I was reading the article at the bottom of this post & came up with a trade idea that might work.

While I believe that Artest & Rashard would be the better SF's for us to pursue, you still have to look at the possibility of acquiring Szczerbiak, if he's available. The other player mentioned in the article, as a hinderance to acquiring any high salaried players was Marc Jackson. There's also the uncertainty of whether or not Brandon will be able to play next year, or ever again. So, I came up with this trade that might help both teams.

Houston sends Collier/KT/Moochie/#5-8 pick to Minnesota.

Minnesota sends Szczerbiak/Jackson to Houston.

Minnesota acquires KT to backup Garnett & even start, with Garnett moving to the SF position at times. Collier showed some improvement in his game this year with increased minutes (although, he still has a ways to go) & would offer them some bulk up front & outside shooting. Moochie would offer insurance in case Brandon is unable to return & is a pretty good PG. Prior to this year, he was more of a playmaker than a dribbler. His shooting percentages aren't great, but his ability to find the open player is great. I attribute his excessive dribbling to the offensive system that the Rockets have. Moochie had 41 more assists than Francis in 94 less minutes. He also played in 82 games, while Francis only played in 57 games, which means he wasn't able to get in a consistent groove. However, the part of this trade that, I believe, makes Minnesota stand up & take notice, is the #5-8 pick. I wouldn't make this trade if the pick is in the top 3. With the #5-8 pick, Minnesota could probably get a starter. If you consider that Ming & JW will be the first 2 picks & the next 2 could be Woods & Wagner, that would leave them a choice of guys like Wilcox, Gooden, Stoudemire, Marcus, Butler, Rush, etc. etc., or if Wagner were available, they could attempt a trade down with the Clippers & pick up some combination of the #8, #12 picks & Odom.

Houston would get our starting SF & a solid low post scorer in Jackson. I know that Jackson hasn't done anything this year, but I believe that is the result of him not being used properly. Rudy would know how to use him.

Because we couldn't trade for Jackson before his one year anniversary of signing our offer sheet, we'd probably have to make arrangements to trade Jackson for Moochie after the draft. Kind of tricky, if Minnesota isn't trust worthy. Or, we could agree to draft the player or players that Minnesota wants & wait until Jackson can be traded to us. Again, that's kind of tricky. Can they be trusted to go through with the trade?

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/2258965.html

Sid Hartman: Wolves' Taylor talks of possible changes

Sid Hartman
    Star Tribune

Published Apr 26, 2002

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor says he, Vice President of Basketball Operations Kevin McHale and coach Phil Saunders have talked about making changes for next season but will wait until the playoffs end before making any decisions.

Taylor is not happy about the prospect of the team being eliminated in the first round for the sixth consecutive time.

"Well, I've talked to Kevin and Flip about that, and I think depending on what happens in the next couple games here, I think we've got some ideas that we will try next year to make a difference," Taylor said.

"Well, I don't feel comfortable saying what we would do now until we finish this season. I just think it's premature. Our second half of the season wasn't as good as we all anticipated and hoped it would be, and it's going to be difficult now, but let's just hope we can win at home here and then take our chances."

Taylor said McHale's and Saunders' jobs are not in danger.

Taylor said the salary cap will make it difficult to make a lot of changes.

"Because of the salary cap, we don't have much flexibility to do very much, so it isn't like in the old days where you had a lot of flexibility," he said. "You have to improve within or you've got to do a straight trade where somehow you help another team and they help you."

Taylor said there hasn't been any talk about trading Kevin Garnett, who will earn $26 million next year. The truth is that no other team could afford him. Garnett has two more years on his contract and Wally Szczerbiak has one more year left. But even then the Wolves could match any offer they receive.

The trade that sent Dean Garrett, whose contract was up, to Golden State for Marc Jackson, who has a five-year contract, is going to make it very difficult for the Wolves to add any high-salaried players.

"We have to play him [Jackson] or trade him," Taylor said. "One or the other. If we're going to keep him, we're not going to have him sitting on the bench. It doesn't make sense."

Taylor said he is happy with Joe Smith, who has a long-term contract.

"I am. Ask the other guys," he said "But he hasn't played very much."

Regarding fan support, Taylor said: "We have a good signup for season tickets for next year. I know we're going to be OK, but it certainly would be better if we, you know, had a better playoff."

Brandon situation

Taylor said he visited with Wolves point guard Terrell Brandon, who had season-ending knee surgery, in Dallas and that Brandon won't know if he can play next year until he sees a doctor in the near future.

Taylor made it clear Brandon can't retire and still be paid for the three remaining years on his contract unless a doctor said he wasn't physically capable of playing.

3. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

The Timberwolves would take that deal, just because of the draft pick. I think the Timberwolves are content with Rasho Nesterovic at center, so they would not mind losing Jackson.

Even though the Rockets would do this trade, I would not do it. Wally Szczerbiak is comfortable as a shooting guard. He's tall and uses his height advantage over other shooting guards. I think he would be discontent moving back to the small forward position. Plus, he's not that good of a defender either - which we really need.

Get Artest! :)

4. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

or? well start with the lotto pick and mooch...i dunno if minny will bite.

5. drpepper

drpepper Member

I can already see what will happen. Wally will go to the Clipps for one of their SG/SF or possibly one of their lotto picks and a filler. That will give them the depth to free up Odom and let Piatowski walk. They'll have a player similar to Piatowski (shooting wise) in Wally, only more athletic and a little bigger. Either way, we should be able to get someone with NBA experience that can help this young team.

I want Al Harrington:cool:

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't deal Mobley for Wally.

Wally can't really create his own shot, and can't play defense. He wouldn't get nearly as many good looks from Francis as he would from KG or Brandon, and if he's not shooting, he's not helping the team.

Right now, it looks like there'll be plenty of SF options this offseason, so we MUST capitalize-
    I'd rank like this (based on price to acquire/skills):
    1.) Ron Artest: LOCKDOWN perimeter defender, which frees Cuttino from tough assignments. Has improved offensive game immensely, and is only 23. #2 in steals-we were LAST in the league in steals per game. If Indiana gets knocked out early (down 2-1 to NJ), they can't afford to keep Harrington, Bender, and Artest-Bender and Artest are on the verge of longterm contracts plus guys like Croshere and Mercer signed, Artest is likely the odd man out.

2a.) Rashard Lewis: Bring back the prodigal son? Well, there may be no hometown discount, and to acquire him may force a sign and trade, and Seattle/Payton won't let him go easily, especially with the new owner's deep pockets.

2b.) Lamar Odom: The point forward we always wanted? Except he's not much of an outside shooter. Regardless of his recent question marks, his talent and potential will always keep his value up.

3.) Mike Miller: Only managed to get 9 minutes in a playoff game that went to OT. With Hill coming back, may be expendable. Questionable defense, but is another multi-faceted type.

4.) Wally World: So the all-star, and #2 scorer on a playoff team is ranked the lowest? Because he'd provide the least bang for the buck. He'll cost us-AT LEAST Moochie+#5, maybe more. He comes with baggage, and will need a new contract...for young Glen Rice?

5.) Lee Nailon: Hometown guy-he's also a great shooter, and would be easier to acquire than Wally...I considered putting him above.

And then there's the draft...which will have 2 top SFs (Butler/Woods), maybe another (Dunleavy), then a LOT of decent ones that could be available mid-late first round and become very good (Prince, Yarbrough).

hottoddie-you forgot that Minnesota has Joe Smith signed to a long term deal, and Gary Trent.

7. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Nah, I didn't forget. I feel that KT is an upgrade (talent wise) over Trent & I also said that Garnett could slide over to the SF spot at times. That would give Minnesota a different look, depending on the matchups. Although, Smith isn't playing very much in the playoffs. Is he hurt?