1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the purpose of Deke?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sweetbobl, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

nooooooooo

i'd rather yao takes charges than jumping in traffic.

2. newengland

newengland Member

Were you referring to his age? :)

3. newengland

newengland Member

Yeah. Some of us just forgot our JVG era ended two seasons ago already.

Deke didn't play many minutes altogether until Yao went down last season.

4. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I said it once and I will say it again, Adelmen is slow to make adjustments.

I said the same thing, started checking the roster book, and looking at the Nuggets height. We needed some size in there. Where is Deke?

I too would like to see more of him, but I think we need to be cautious so he is there for us in the playoffs.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Reports indicate Deke is running 5 flat 40's.

6. blender

blender Member

If nothing else, Deke gives Yao someone to crack "big man" jokes with, something that was probably hard to do with Hayes or Scola.

Add to that six hard fouls, some well-placed elbows and a whole lot of cheering, and Deke more than lives up to his contract.

7. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

He was good against Lakers. He came to the game and Lakers stopped playing for Bynum. Deal done.

But Denver, is not a game for him. Nene was scoring thanks to his advantage in speed against Yao. To put him Dekembe is useless. Plus he's useless in offense too, and we needed Yao. There will be better games for Dike.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

deke is always ready b/c he knows his role: block shots and rebound. and he's always in shape.

adelman is just waiting for an injury to play deke :mad:

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Deke Cheney hurt his back. Didn't you see him in a wheelchair today?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

one word says it all

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7qufRrkhLc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7qufRrkhLc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Intimidation! :mad:

11. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

if yao ming goes down, our inside defense goes down with him. but w/ someone who can man the paint, especially like deke, we wont lose any defesne. we'll actually GAIN defense and rebounding w/ deke cuz he is better than yao at that, but scoring obviously yall know.

12. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I was at the Nuggets game wondering why we weren't using Deke at all. When I got home though, I saw on the news that he had gone out to DC to be in town for the inauguration. We could have used him, but as an only rarely-used back-up, I can see why Adelman might have excused him on this particular occasion.

13. kevtse

kevtse Member

Yes that was a terrible stretch. Got raped hard inside the paint. Should have put in Deke!!

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

One of the many mistakes Adelman has made this year. Deke should play 16 mins a night period. The offense you lose is recupped because the other team isn't scoring either. I don't care if Scola and Landry are splitting 48 mins equally, deke should be Yao's matchup regardless. He blocks shots, makes guys pump fake at the rim and rebounds.The idea the team plays well when yao is out and landry comes in is false, big time. That's the only reason the rox aren't blowing team out. Once they see the sub of landry and Hayes for yao and scola, its like a layup drill. Playing Utah tonight, adelman will see again what happens when yao has to go out the game.

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

This is Deke's role!

[​IMG]

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I'm not going to jump to conclusions but if Deke does not see the floor tonight, I don't expect him to play unless Shaq gives us problems. I would've used him against the Nuggets too but RA has enough wins under his belt to know what he's doing. What worries me though is when Yao went out last season, Deke had to ask for more minutes. I think if a veteran like Mutombo has to ask for playing time, something is wrong. Hopefully, this season it doesn't have to come to that.

Also, I've noticed the team doesn't show the same "chemistry" it did last year when it comes to cheerleading. Last year, from the 1st game @ LA on, the whole bench was up with Deke leading the way. Where has that been so far this season ?? I see Deke getting excited, Wafer at times and an occasional team cheer. We need more of last season's bench encouragement, because I believe it gives us the uplift we need at times when things aren't going well on the court. Of course, more dunks, blocks and streetball by Rafer would help :D