1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans offseason thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm loving Slayton, but I'm curious would you guys jump on Tomlinson if he is released / on the block?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...p-chargers-tomlinsonsfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns

3. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Peppers told Carolina he does not want to play for them anymore. Not going to discuss a long term deal with them and does not want the franchise tag worth $17 million.

Texans better try getting in on this guy. We would be a great defense with just this pick up and no more zones and dline drops into pass defense.

I truly feel this guy should be the number one target of the Texans and at almost any cost.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

If that is true...Absolutely 100% agree. Peppers actually prefers the end position opposite Mario. What a awesome combination that would be!

5. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Maybe that's why they are raising ticket prices.... :D

Seriously though, I can't think of a better time to go after a big-ticket free agent then right now going after Peppers. That way, maybe the Texans can concentrate on building their Secondary through the first couple of rounds of the draft.

Maybe we should start a petition....

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Peppers would be great but I wouldn't sign him longer then 3 years. He is about to become 29 tomorrow and would not want to be tied to a long contract with him going in his 30's.

7. plee

plee Member

Pepper's has stated that he wants to play in a 3-4 defense so unless he's just giving a excuse I don't think we are going to re-align but again crazier things have happened...

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I would think that the Texans realize how important it is to have a dominant player at both ends of that line...especially with the lack of a consistent pass rush throughout their entire history. Sure Peppers will demand a lot of money, but he's worth it. In fact, I can't imagine there will be a free agent out there this offseason that would better suit the Texans' needs.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hasn't Peppers basically disappeared since about 2007 or so?

10. Water Boy

Water Boy Member

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He had a down year last year (2007), but this season had 14.5 sacks.

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

http://footballsfuture.com/2009/nflmockdraft.html

Latest mock draft has us taking

Houston - Everrette Brown, DE, Florida St.
    The Texans have invested two of their last four first rounders on defensive lineman, but help is still needed. Pairing Brown with Mario Williams could make it one of the most feared pass rush duos in the league very quickly.

I don't think the Texans need to use another 1st round pick on a defensive linemen. what do yall think?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

At this point, I'm cool with improving anywhere on defense. If they think adding a d-lineman is a good idea, I'm good with it.

14. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I don't think it would be as dumb as Detroit's erstwhile WR fetish, just because a good defensive lineman can have a direct impact on the game all by himself.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Good linemen can turn average skill position players into all stars.

I am 100% fine with the Texans drafting anyone fat and ugly.

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we draft a DE, I hope he's not fat.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We should take either a DE or safety in the first round if there is one worthy at our pick.

Otherwise, just go best available or trade down. No reaching on Travis Johnson caliber players in the middle of the first round. Of course our current front office knows this, seeing how they traded down and got Brown last year.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling it is going to prove difficult to trade down this draft. It seems after the first 10 or so talents on the board, there isn't a tremendous difference between the next 15, so anyone that doesn't have someone unexpected drop to them will look into trading down. Perhaps we'll get lucky and some team will become enamored with some guy and want to move up, but I'm not expecting it this time.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

True, but it's very early to tell. The Senior Bowl scouting is just beginning and the combine is still to come...there will be some guys that will jump into everyone's radar by running a faster 40 than expected or having a good week of practices this week. It's only just beginning...

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good point. It will be interesting to see if Kubiak's draft strategy changes any this season. His previous three drafts saw "project" guys taken in the first round. I put that in quotes because guys like Mario weren't bad starting out, but it took them a while to develop. Okoye is and remains a project since he is so young, and Duane Brown was a project since, despite his obvious athleticism, he really didn't have a lot of experience playing left tackle.

But I think this is a make or break year for Kubiak. I don't necessarily believe he HAS to make the playoffs to keep his job, but if we don't make it in we better be a team with 10 or 11 wins like the Pats and just the recipients of bad luck. So for that reason I could envision Gary wanting someone much more battle ready this draft. Possibly a linebacker at 15, since they are more capable of coming in and dominating (unlike CB, which seems to take a couple seasons even for the great ones).