1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Computer] Am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by twhy77, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

2. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

I can't find any good deals on that site. Yarggh. Thank you though.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

They sent you a computer that you didn't order because the one you did order was an error on their website? There's something corny about that. "Well, we didn't have what you wanted, but here's this one ..." It's fine "web errors" won't be upheld, but are you saying they shipped you something completely different? If so, that's nuts.

What are the specs on the quad core system? Processor speed? Video card? You can mash together a good processor with everything else being crap and get a cheaper price, so post the specs :)

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh yeah. And your wife is going to beat you up for this screw-up, isn't she? :)

5. twhy77

She's already fired off a letter to Lenovo's president for a wrongful death claim for her killing me. I'll see if I can get the specs, she was just going over it with me on the phone.

Oh yea, what happened was the model # I ordered was the one they sent me, they just had the wrong info up for that model order.

6. twhy77

This is all it says in the product description-- LNV3000 H210 Q6600 TWRFF 2GBX2 1000GB DVDRW WVP 1YROS I don't know what half of those things mean.

7. ndnguy85

nothing?

how much do you want to spend? what do you want to use the PC for? what are some specs of your old computer?

dell home outlet and dell business are really good ways to save money while getting a good system.

getting a quality item for cheap (used or on sale) is different than getting a new cheap computer.

don't let the lenovo name give you false hope. IBM sold tha brand to some chinese company a while back. Their thinkpads, thinkcentre pcs are still supported by ibm tech support and quality is not bad..but the home section is all lenovo's crap in the making.

8. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Eh, just speaking from recently working on a built-already, ready out of the box Dell. Manufacturers generally make their computers a royal pain in the ass to work on because of course they want you to take it to a dell tech or some electronics store everytime.

If you can build you own machine, I'd definitely recommend it. Then again, building machines can be time-consuming and a real pain sometimes but the end result is usually worth it... unless there's a violent explosion shortly thereafter. :)

That being said, I can definitely understand the ease of purchasing a pre-built one. Definitely saves time.

9. Rule0001

Hmm. Google isn't turning up much on this. I can tell you it has a 2.4 ghz quad-core processor (q6600) , 4gb of RAM (2gbx2), 1000gb (1TB) of hd space, a dvdrw/cdrw burner (dvdrw), windows vista premium (WVP) and a 1 year warranty (1YROS). The only thing I've found that's close is a 640 gb version of the comp.

http://tinyurl.com/72vx9n

Is the 1tb an upgradable option?

What you described above though actually isn't a bad comp at all. How much is it? Is it the $600 price you quoted at the bottom of page 2? That might be a tad on the steep side for that, I'm not sure what all is included in terms of video cards, sound cards, etc but yeah it's a good machine that should last you for 3 years or so.

Quad-core processors will absolutely FLY when your doing just about anything on your computer. The 4GB of RAM leaves you in solid shape for Vista and 1000 gigs of space is pretty sweet for p*rn or whatever you want to download 1000 gigs of. dvd and cd burners in a combo drive saves a lot of trouble buying a separate burner for each data type. windows vista premium is a pretty decent OS.

#49 Rule0001, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  10. ndnguy85

that maybe the case with apple..but i dont know what dell you are talking about. maybe those tiny odd shaped ones.

as far as building your own..all is fine till a blue screen pops up out of nowhere. then all hell will break loose.

11. Rule0001

Yeah, that **** gets annoying quick. Usually it's all about plugging in the hard drive to right IDE slot on the new cable with the new mobo or plugging in a previously installed SATA drive into the right SATA port on the mobo.

Well, this was a Dell Dimension EMachines 510 I believe. All I know is the parts inside it were hidden behind a fortress of enormous f'in fans and random huge plastic holders.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How could you not know what that means !?

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow. As far as I'm concerned, those guys are scum. They should've told you what you ordered wasn't what it was before shipping it. Instead they just up and shipped it? "Web errors may not be upheld", but why the hell are they shipping the errors?? Those guys are clowns.

H210 is the model of the computer (the Lenovo model)
    Q6600 is the processor/cpu - it's an Intel Core 2 Quad quad core CPU (~$190)
    TWRFF - my guess is that it stands for "tower form factor". It's probably a mini-tower or mid-tower computer. (prices vary wildly on towers, but $30-$150)
    2GBx2 means the machine has 4 gigs of RAM using 2 sticks of memory (price varies, but ~$50-$60 now)
    1000GB means it has a 1 terabyte hard drive (~$100)
    DVDRW means it has a ReWritable dvd drive meaning you can burn cd's and dvd's on it (~$20-$30)
    WVP - you got me; Windows Vista Home Premium? (~$100)
    1YROS - wild guess - 1 year warranty of some sort... on-site?

I'm guessing the video card is onboard, but not sure. It's an ok deal from the looks of it because if you got a good motherboard on your own, you'd probably spend $90-$150. If the operating system isn't 64-bit, you won't be able to use all 4 gigs of RAM - more like 2.5-3 gigs probably, but for your purposes, that shouldn't be a problem.

Go to other sites like HP's or Dell's and see if they have better deals. Go to techbargains.com or gotapex.com and look for coupon deals. Read forums like Fatwallet.com's Hot Deals forum or AnandTech's forums to see if you can find better deals or coupons.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just went to the original link you posted and they're still offering the same machine with 3GB of RAM instead of 4GB (which, again, wouldn't make a difference since I don't think they're giving you a 64-bit OS) for $449. So is it still a web error? lol.

15. Rule0001

Damn DoD. You really know your parts, lol. I'd of never guessed the TWRFF and OS part of the 1YROS.

16. ndnguy85

seems like a bait and switch to me.

MOST companies would have cancelled the order and told you there was an error. instead they charge u, ship you a DIFFERENT PC which you didn't agree to and hope you would keep it. since you decided not to, they want to sell you something for more.

if i were you, i would return it. there's plenty of deals and coupons out there.

17. ndnguy85

from the dell home outlet. studio desktop.

Studio - 540
    System Price : $569.00
    Intel Core 2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
    6 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)
    750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
    256MB ATI Radeon HD 3450 supporting HDMI
    16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
    64BIT Operating System DVD
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

there's a 20% coupon. so $455.

you get more memory, quad core and a graphics card.

here's the link to the studio systems page.

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-studio-mini?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I completely agree. I would send it back and ask for your money back - make sure they don't steal shipping or anything from you, and never buy from them again. That's shady. I could've accepted cancelling the order as that's what retailers usually do, but sending you something else seems shady.

19. mazyar

mazyar Member

Damn!

So they make computers with 1TB of RAM now?

20. ndnguy85

no...

HARD DRIVE.. ;)