1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Landry Seeing time at Small Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mac#5, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Landry was playing at the 3 against the lakers when they went small... i actualy liked it except at the end of the game were he was open to take the shot but didnt probably because he was scared. The Chron says rick likes him at the 3 and doesnt mind playing him there he juss needs to ease the transiton so he wont be having trouble switching from the 3 to the 4 during games...

Heres the LINK

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Like John Thompson said one time during a draft how they talk about certain players being too small/too big, too much a tweener to fit the definition of a position -
    If a player can play BASKETBALL on the court, thats really what matters most.

Thats kinda how I see it with Landry. Nothing says you HAVE to get a player that stretches the defense and handles the ball at the 3. If a player has attributes that beats the other team's, why not go with it.

3. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

Oh no don't say that! lol, I said that after the Laker game and everyone turned into little divas and started twisting my words thinking I blamed him for the loss and thought he played bad. He was killin it until he passed up that shot. With that being said, I hope Landry can develop into a versatile 3/4, it could help us with some size matchups

4. akiracy

akiracy Member

i think it was only to match up with odom, since they had bynum gasol and odom out, huge mismatches

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I would not expect to see him at the 3 much. His foot speed is a bit slow to guard SF and it isn't like he has solid defensive instincts or fundamentals to make up for that.

6. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

he should be playing most of his time at pf. hes too slow to guard sfs, but hes improved his lateral quickness. havent seen him at sf much so maybe he can play it but hes needed at pf. either way, he should be able to play sf next season.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

It was only a matter of time, they told him over the summer to work on his range and dribble so he could play both forward spots.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Will this be a trend? It depends on the match ups obviously, but I remember begging and pleading with Adelman to play Landry at the three during the playoffs. We needed more energy and offense. That's pretty much what Landry is all about.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the problem i see with this is in todays nba game the 3 is essentially no different from the 2. while 4's and 5's are considered the "bigs". so he will be matched up against big guards basically. he doesn't have the speed to defend them.

offensively this can work in the rockets favor IF they FEATURE him in the post against what should usually be a much smaller player. however with 2 other post players on the floor with him (playing the 4 and 5 spots for the rockets) this can crowd things and make it easy for the defense to double and rotate.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Landry must be faster than Battier in every sense so it's not speed that would be his undoing defensively.

I think how much of a defensive liability Landry would be at SF vs PF depends mostly on who is playing SF and PF for the other team. The fact that Landry is used to guarding PFs at this point would also play into it.