1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wash St Court] Sex between Teachers and 18 year olds Okay

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jan 14, 2009.

1. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

I wish I was 18 again ;)

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hmmm... interesting but non-sequitorish specifics.... Got a story to share? :)

EDIT: for the record, may I say to my employers I did not really read this thread and have little to no interest in the topic.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll admit its a bit of a tangent but I was just pointing out the problems with a law if it makes it criminal for a teacher of age to have a sexual relation with a student of age. A law like that would seem overbroad.

As far a story to share no story but a friend of mine did work as a middle school coach in her early 20's.

And since I am my own employer I have to fess up that yes I was reading this thread.

4. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

FYI, Texas has a similar law. A teacher I once knew, who taught in Bay City, was charged a few years ago for sex with an 18 year old student.

Sec. 21.12. IMPROPER RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN EDUCATOR AND STUDENT. (a) An employee of a public or private primary or secondary school commits an offense if the employee engages in:

(1) sexual contact, sexual intercourse, or deviate sexual intercourse with a person who is enrolled in a public or private primary or secondary school at which the employee works and who is not the employee's spouse; or

(2) conduct described by Section 33.021, with a person described by Subdivision (1), regardless of the age of that person.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the second degree.

(c) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or both sections.

(d) The name of a person who is enrolled in a public or private primary or secondary school and involved in an improper relationship with an educator as provided by Subsection (a) may not be released to the public and is not public information under Chapter 552, Government Code.

5. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

What in the bejezuz is that?? ;) I thought the Washington legislators were being idiots, but Texas beat 'em to the punch?!

I just don't get how they justify criminalizing sex between two consenting adults (which is possible given the generalized wording).

Firing... OK. But, a felony... :confused:

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

A 20 year old elementary substitute dating a 16 year old can read "Teacher having sex with FRESHMAN student". A student can get held back a year and turn 16 their freshman year. 16 is WA's age of consent. (yeah, I knew a girl like that... :) And, no...I didnt...Washington was too far a drive)

Or what about a 17 year old home schooled girl that finished her high school equivalent education?

Legal or not, I think high schools as a dating pool is still like a lazy route for 25 and unders. 35 and older though creepy and much worse at least theres some desparation there. I can understand the lure for those into it - its the one place that actually manages to pack all the city's fresh nubile crop into 1 spot. Cheerleaders, volleyballers, dance team they're all there my gosh!

But an instructor should have trained in college or some institution that HAS women around, not like they're gonna be all deprived. Better off being hanging around the mall or going to the football games, or go to 15-18 and up clubs and try to pluck a yungun from there rather than being AT the school.