1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 7

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pizza_Da_Hut, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I've also been running Vista at work for well over a year, and at home on my newly built machine for the past month with zero problems. Again, I believe that most of the haters out there either don't have the hardware to run Vista, or they install all kinds of crap software and allow their machines to get infected with spyware, and then blame the OS.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Semantics... but ok, tell you what...

Show me where they say when it will "RTM" and I'll bet you it doesn't make it on time.

Release Candidate? Is that an official term? I'm talking OUT, which I guess you're equating with "RTM". You are right, though, Pizza did say out of beta. I'd bet about that too, but keeping it simple and free of subjectivity, I think RTM would be the best measure.

No problem emulating features if they're good ones and they don't break laws to do it. Of course, emulating OS features has been a staple for them... but you're right, everyone does it.

GPU acceleration was needed for sure. That sounds good, as far making what they have run and look better... definitely good news.

My winmachine isn't a laptop, so don't know that power is a huge issue for me, but that's still a good thing. I do wonder if it's got the juice to run the beta... how do you get it? I put XP back on mine and it's back to running nicely, so I'd hesitate to mess with that, but... it does pique my interest if it's as good as you say.

I guess my other concern would be compatibility with hardware and software, but those things are usually just hit or miss, trial and error.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Want to know what I have installed on my PC other than the basic XP Pro?

Steam
    Left 4 Dead
    Team Fortress
    Firefox
    iTunes
    Adobe
    McAfee
    Spybot

That's it.

Period.

I clean up my files regularly (defrag, virus check, spyware, etc), run a pretty tidy ship... not a user problem.

Add this with the absolute mountain of headaches my previous PCs have given me, and well, I'm peaceing up out of the windows game.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I knew what you meant, I was just being an ass :cool:

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I run Vista on a couple of laptops and on a machine at work and have had NO PROBLEMS at all. What I see plenty of times is that a person with a SLOW ASS machine will try to "upgrade to Vista" only to find out their machine can't handle it, and they end up hating Vista. :eek:

A friend of mine who is an avid Winders and a Web Developer just posted this on her FaceBook for us to read: The Bumper List of WIndows 7 secrets :cool: Good shhhhhtuff...

6. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

can you tell me exactly what the error says..

i think you are confusing registry errors with a corrupted hard drive or memory.

i say that because the other day i fixed a computer that said a certain file is missing right before the xp logo screen. i reinstalled windows etc..on the first boot..same thing. i knew it had to be the hard drive or another hardware. reinstalled on a new drive..same thing. then i took out 1 module of memory (out of 2) and bam started up without any problems.

i been running xp since it's beta days and it is a very stable OS. now i am running windows 7 beta.

things NEVER just get messed up for no reason. theres always something wrong. and dont be so quick to blame xp. hardware errors can easily manifest as "missing files"

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I'm glad I have stuck with XP. I can just wait for 7 now.

8. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Sorry people I just bought a Mac Book Air last week and loving it right now. OS X Leopard is so much better than Vista. MBA loads up in half the time it took my Sony Vaio with Vista. Plus I love spaces, stacks and time machine. There is no crappy clutter of files or documents and everything is organized easily. Plus the programs load up really fast without any crashes. Honestly, I've been PC guy for 15 years now and wonder why didn't I switch to Mac long ago. Windows is a terrible system with too many design flaws. OS Leopord really shows that a system should be designed with the user in mind and everything should be to your accomodation not the other way around.

9. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I cant wait to see the next Macbook Air....

Not only does the drive not come attached, you carry the hard drive and a keyboard in your pocket! So THIN!!!

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I have every single one of those apps installed. You're doing something wrong, or you have bad hardware.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Itunes is a doozy, it does end up causing a lot of driver/hardware errors in post. I noticed as crazy as it sounds the order of install is important. If Itunes is the first item you install, most of the time it minimizes error. One time I formatted, reinstalled windows, and then installed all my software and then Itunes last and my USB ports suddenly didn't work in Windows. Apparently Itunes overwrote a crucial update, just for a damn iPhone driver. I noticed the best means of installing was Itunes>Nero>The Rest of Software> Windows Updates. A slipstreamed OS can sometimes avoid this, but not really. Also, SP1 is a pretty strong fix for Vista (as well as SP3 for XP), installing that tends to make all well. Registry errors aren't as crippling as people think.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah... finally got my TechNet ID.... downloading all kindsa Microsoft goodies as we speak : windows 7, windows 2008 datacenter, office 2007, sql server 2008, project, exchange server, etc, etc.... God bless big ol' NAS's. I'll probably try to install Windows 7 on a VMWare image today or tomorrow to see what it's like.

13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

It's a small annoyance but the gadgets are now part of the desktop but I like to hide the desktop icons but the only way to keep the gadgets visible is to show the desktop icons. This feature replaced the sidebar :(.

14. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Windows 7 build 7000 rocks. The only thing is it's a little buggy in explorer and it didn't find all my drivers, but it's already faster and more enjoyable than vista.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Getting new desktops for the office, all with Vista. We haven't had any of these problems that we've heard people talking about with Vista on our laptops. I don't find it all that different...and where I do find it different, I generally like it.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

^ Since I replaced the Norton AV that came with the computer with AVG my Vista has been very solid -- now if I could just figure out where all my downloads are going I'd be golden.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

oh, that's not important. ;)

all your downloads are belong to us.