1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you remember how crappy everyone felt after the Rockets loss to the 76ers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

I assume that everyone remembers the game this month where we lost to the "lowly" 76ers by eight points. Well, it turns out that they are in a run and have compiled a six game winning streak.

The opponents (points Philly won by):

Jan 6 - Houston Rockets (8)
    Jan 7 - @Milwaukee (5)
    Jan 9 - Charlotte (6)
    Jan 11 - @Atlanta (15)
    Jan 14 - Portland (21)
    Jan 16 - San Antonio (22)
    Evaluating these last six games you will see that the Philly beat four playoff caliber opponents and a couple by 20 points or more. In fact, they almost beat the Spurs @SA on Jan 3rd where they lost by only two points. The 76ers are improving and in the thick of the playoff run.

So what does this have to do with the Rockets? Looking back in retrospect we shouldn't feel bad about this particular loss. Furthermore, what was our embarrassment became another team's embarrassment.

-- XX -- XX -- XX --

On other news, the last three days have been good for the Rockets even though they didn't play a single game. Moreover, since our last game against the LA Lakers (that we should have won), the records compiled by teams in the playoff hunt are as follows:

Phoenix Suns (0-2)
    LA Lakers (0-2)
    Dallas Mavericks (0-1)
    New Orleans Hornets (1-1)
    Portland Trailblazers (1-1)
    San Antonio Spurs (1-1)
    Utah Jazz (1-1)
    Denver Nuggets (1-0)​
    Not bad overall considering that the Rockets were just resting from a brutal schedule this season. We can definitely bounce back and become a top three seed. I have faith...do you?

#1 jsmee2000, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. RocketsHero

RocketsHero Member

that was the Philadelphia game

3. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

We didn't feel bad because we lost it.
    We felt bad because the way we lost it.

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

5. bushbush1988

bushbush1988 Member

we haven't taken care of business this year against weak teams..

heck...losses to handicapped spurs (earlier), loss to grizzilies, loss to wizard, pacers were all supposed to be must-wins...

6. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Bing bing bing bing. I was at that game. TSlack (in particular) didn't put out any effort on D and eventually, he go lazy on offense too. Maybe that would have made up 8 points. That was the worst money I spent on an NBA game ever. I at least expect our players to TRY.

7. BrooksBall

The concept and act of trying is absent in Grady World.

8. jsmee2000

SOS is flawed... take a look at this equation:

Strength Of Schedule (SOS) Formula= (2/3)*(Opponents' Average Winning Percentage) + (1/3)*(Opponents' Opponents' Average Winning Percentage)​

The problem with this equation is that it doesn't take into account back-to-backs or four games in five days. So if a team is overworked shouldn't it count for something?

9. BrooksBall

It's not perfect but it's not like we are the only team to play several back-to-backs. Not every team has had it as easy as the Hornets.

For that matter, where do we rank overall in terms of b2bs? It may not be as bad as it seems. A lot of teams have played 40 games like the Rockets and several have actually played more. The season started around the same time for everybody so that means many of those teams that have played around 40 games probably had as many b2bs as the Rockets.

And even taking into account b2bs, I imagine we have still had a relatively easy schedule in terms of who we've played.

10. jsmee2000

Give me a few minutes and I will get you this info for the top nine teams in the west.

11. BrooksBall

Sure, I'd be interested to see the actual numbers on that.

Regardless of where we stand on b2bs though, Hollingers' formula still states that we've had the 9th easiest schedule. Let's say we've had 1 more b2b than the other top 8 teams in the West. How much should that alter our ranking? I don't think it should affect it by more than a couple of spots. It's not like we've had 5 more b2bs than those other teams.

The way I see it, we've had a relatively easy schedule no matter how you look at it. If you factor in injuries, then you've got a case.

12. jsmee2000

Sagarin has us at 16 as opposed to 21 like Hollinger.

13. BrooksBall

Hollinger has us at 22nd most difficult (9th easiest).

What is Sagarin's formula?

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you factor in injuries?

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play? :D

15. BrooksBall

SOS is about the quality of the teams we have played and we have played a relatively easy set of opponents, separate from the injury situation.

Of course the injuries have impacted our ability to win more games but they have not effected our SOS.

We've probably been fortunate to have an easy schedule otherwise we may be several games behind the 8 spot.

16. MadMax

I understand. It's just funny to say, "if you factor in injuries" because I'd argue injuries have been the story of the season. Which really isn't all that surprising, frankly. Just be healthy come playoff time.

17. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

hope this isn't a jinx thread. but I do agree. I have faith

18. MadMax

absolutely. the talent is there. they need some breaks to go their way...particularly with relationship to injury.

19. BrooksBall

I hear you and I didn't mean to diminish the injury factor. That has been by far the biggest problem this season. I was just responding to the OP's reference to our "brutal schedule" which we didn't actually have according to Hollinger's SOS.

I guess we should just be thankful that we didn't have a tougher schedule to start the season given all the injuries. Maybe everything will come together in the 2nd half. Maybe not.

20. MadMax

you're right. i'm hopeful things will get better.