1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mutombo frowns on Yao drawing charges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Jan 14, 2009.

1. kkkpopov

kkkpopov Member

i think deke is right,but given yao's physical condition,i think sometimes it's hard to do that

2. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

I think that Yao should study some tape of games involving the Utah Jazz that were during Mark Eaton's playing days, and just try to figure out how Eaton was so effective at clogging the middle and blocking shots as well as he did.

In the NBA or even the college game, I've never heard of a center who would mainly look to draw charges. Most centers in the past would only go for the blocks on any player driving in for a layup or dunk.

3. ibm

ibm Member

really, that's the only thing deke should force yao to learn before he leaves the team this time. les should consider his money well spent if yao finally learns the elbow from deke this season.

then magically people will see his t/o numbers go down, rebounds go up, and our opponents' shooting % go down by an avg of 5%, ft decrease by 5 per game. :D

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Knowing Yao, he would probably apologize to the opponent and invite him for some shrimp at his restaurant. EAT THE HEAD!

5. ibm

ibm Member

that will be fine. :cool:

i will not forgive yao if i don't see him knock out someone at least once before he retires. :mad:

6. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Yao should of knocked out Josh Howard when he tripped him early this season. That could of been dangerous. Yao is just too nice of a guy to a fault.

7. Moneygetjealous

I don't know, sometimes watching Yao play angers me. Im mad that the fact that he is our number 1 draft pick and end up to be a good center not great. I watched other players grow into great players from the team they were drafted in...

like Brandon Roy, Kobe, Lebron, CP3, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, D-Wade etc...

Why can't we have a big star player that will be in the ranking of those players.

T-Mac was when he was healthy. Artest is just an All-Star caliber player that can play both ends well. Yao...He can put up points and that's about it. Even Josh Smith average about 2 more blocks than Yao.

8. ibm

ibm Member

so you think ALL these guys are greater than yao?

9. Asian Sensation

Which of those guys AREN'T greater than yao?

10. ibm

ibm Member

another one. lol.

11. Asian Sensation

Another what? Another real non Y. 0 . f. perspective?

Seriously, out of those players the other guy mentioned. Who is Yao better than? Kobe, Lebron, Cp3, Dwade ? Hell to the naw.

Dwight Howard, Brandon Roy, Chris Bosh? These are somewhat arguable. However, the biggest factor is AGE. These guys are 23, 24, and 24 respectively and have their best days ahead of them. Yao at age 28 has already had 4 major injury/med conditions and his best days may have already passed. As a Rockets fan I'd like to think Yao still has a lot left but as a realist I know I get nervous as hell when all 7'6 300 + pounds of him crashes awkwardly in slow motion to the ground. I am scared ****less when he has the ball in the "clutch" moments at the end of games. I cringe at the sight of him getting rejected by the rim (multiple times). And I still have nightmares from Carlos Boozer tearing Yao a new one.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dikembe Mutombo's sharp elbows have inflicted plenty of damage. ESPN's list of some of the victims:

* Dec. 30, 2004: LeBron James; broken left cheekbone. * May 6, 2001: Chris Childs; broken nose.

* Feb. 26, 2001: Ray Allen; broken nose.

* Jan. 13, 2001: Corey Maggette; eye trauma.

* Dec. 28, 2000: Chauncey Billups; hit in the mouth; four stitches; fractured front tooth.

* Feb. 6, 1999: Jayson Williams; broken nose.

* May 4, 1999: Mark Strickland; broken nose.

* May 6, 1997: Dennis Rodman; retaliated and ejected after receiving second technical foul.

* April 12, 1997: Tom Gugliotta; broken nose.

* Nov. 29, 1991: Ricky Pierce; 12 stitches in forehead.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If Yao could learn anything from Deke, I wish it were how to use his bows to punish the little from digging in on the ball.

DD

14. jondoe

jondoe Member

I like yao flopping. Heck if you cant beat em, join em. Make those stupid refs make the exact same call. I think its funny, except for the guy that might end up behind yao when he does his flop. Yao has a lot of good teachers:
    Battier, Scola, Chuck.

15. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Thank God for Deke. You just gotta love the guy.

16. leeallen

leeallen Contributing Member

Did you see the Cavs game?

The rule is: when Yao stands in front of a player, foul on no.11; when Yao jumps close to a shooter, foul on no.11; when Yao's elbow touches a flopper, foul on no.11.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I want to sex mutumbo! :D

18. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

It is simply non-sense to compare C with PG/SG in terms of athleticism or sth closely related to athleticism. Yes, Yao's last shot sucked, but if he is only a average "good" C, would that game be 2 digit loss?

If you really want to do the comparison, swap them and do the math: Kobe and LBJ are better than Yao for sure, but CP3 or DW... Rockets with CP/DW without post up is not a playoff team in west conference.

DH has a lot potentials, hopefully he will be better even much better than Yao sometime, but not now, he was just too quiet when facing Yao. Roy and Bosh.... Are you serious?

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

How do you figure that? CP3 had a nice record last season and he doesn't have a dominant center. Their best option down low, David West, is really a jump shooter. And Wade already has a ring. I don't know how anyone could argue that Yao has a bigger impact on the game then these two guys.

Heck we had home court advantage last year with Yao being injured at the end of the season...and our record before he went down wasn't that good anyway.

20. ibm

ibm Member

thanks for doing the job. :)