1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama to waste $150 million on inauguration while economy crumbles

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Another hot mess of a thread....

It must be difficult for a lot of people to accept that the tables have turned, and the other side has taken control for at least the next four years.

2. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

300,000 people attended Bush's inauguration in 2005 and 2000.

3. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

<embed src="http://www.theonion.com/content/themes/common/assets/videoplayer2/flvplayer.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="400" height="355" flashvars="file=http://www.theonion.com/content/xml/92665/video&autostart=false&image=http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/INAUGURATION_DANCE_article.jpg&bufferlength=3&embedded=true&title=Congressional%20Committee%20Debates%20Merits%20Of%20Proposed%20Inauguration%20Dance"></embed><br/><a href="http://www.theonion.com/content/video/congressional_committee_debates?utm_source=embedded_video">Congressional Committee Debates Merits Of Proposed Inauguration Dance</a>

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Do they teach English at Rice?

Most of this new federal funding will be to deal with the huge influx of people, estimated 1.5 million to 2 million.

One of the biggest costs is transport, and the Washington DC transport authority has also put in a request to the federal government for extra funding.

Obama today issued a statement calling on people across the nation to participate by holding their own neighbourhood events, including their own balls. He acknowledged the logistical problems that will face Washington.

"Now, you've probably heard the reports that unprecedented numbers of Americans are planning to join us in Washington. That will mean long lines, a tough time getting around, and most of all, a lot of walking on what could be a very cold winter day," Obama said.

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Wow...so it will cost more money to prepare DC to host roughly 3-4 times it's population. Yes, it's Obama's fault that millions are coming to the inaug....even though he is urging folks to celebrate at home. I'm headed up there myself, so I'm happy extra funding is being spent on security, transportation, etc.

Fail for you sir....but you should be used to it by now.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why are you going? Why not celebrate at home like Obama suggests?

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If you posted an article showing that he was spending $150M at the liquor store, you would have a point.

Spending money to deal with the influx of people and to ensure safety isn't exactly just throwing a party.

You have become a joke.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Did I miss something or is it that you simply cannot comprehend the difference between the Legislative and executive branches?

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Let's keep the personal insults out of this. You're better than that, Refman.

What do you think the people who attend this event will be doing? Partying? Why yes, yes, they will. We're paying for them to party. There's no two ways about it. All in the face of tough economic times for the country. Pretty crappy way to start off his term

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

To the victor go the spoils...

SCOREBOARD

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, now you are attacking the conservatives on the board ... so all those people are just contacting the Obama inauguration and receiving free funding for plane/ bus tickets, gas, lodging, food, souvenirs, etc... 3 million people.

I guess Times Square should stop having New Years celebrations -- what a drain on the economy.

12. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Anyone know how much Clinton or Bush spent? I would like to know those numbers before I pass judgement on this figure.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

30 and 40 million.

I voted for obama, but at a time like this, this seems to be a foolish expense.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Would you rather they not ramp up the security and transportation, you know what will happen? Riots and chaos in DC which will the right wing people can point a finger at what a failure to prepare for the influx of large groups of people.

Barack only crime is he's too awesome, and that he came after president that wasn't so awesome, which made Barack seem even more awesome.

AWESOME.

15. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I'll say hi.

16. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

30 and 40 million, but neither had as many people as Obama showing up. I'm surprised at your comment Air Langhi. I guess Obama should ban people from coming, or have no security. Also, with the amount of people coming, I'm sure the money will be made back with ease (lodging, gas, souvenirs, Washington transit passes, plane fares, entertainment, etc.).

17. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Can I just hold my own balls instead of hosting an event for it?

Testicles.

18. fmullegun

You cannot make back 150mil with taxes. And those taxes are local not federal.

19. fmullegun

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIKkcLkbevk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIKkcLkbevk&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that the Fed pays for something that only helps locally. There are countless things that the Fed pays for locally. You all act like it's the end of the world. People are spending $$ at the inauguration. Is that not helping the economy? The last time an inauguration had this many people expected was LBJ in the 60s. There is a reason why it's costing more for this inauguration than the past four we have had.