1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting - Tmac to play Tuesday, not Wednesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Supa Scoopa

Supa Scoopa Member

The only rational I think of can for something like this happening is that they don't see us haven't any chance of beating Boston whether T-Mac plays or not, so they might as well play him against the team we should beat. I hope that's not the reason, but I can't think of any other reason for him to play Tuesday and not Wednesday.

2. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

play him vs. philly and even if he's going 2/10 or has to leave the game or something and you'll still have a chance to win the game.

play him vs. boston and the game is done if he's going 2/10 or something.

3. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Well, we at least have a CHANCE to beat the 76ers... Defeating the Celts at their arena seems like utterly impossible right now.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's not the issue. If you read Rafer's comments in the paper, you'd understand what I'm talking about. It's that when McGrady (and to a lesser degree, Artest) is on the floor, players tend to stand around and watch him instead of executing the offense. McGrady can facilitate and he's supposed to be the #1 option, but the reason why this team can't perform to its capability on the floor is twofold: one, McGrady is not nearly as aggressive as he needs to be and tends to disappear; and two, his teammates aren't doing what they're supposed to do either--they're just standing there watching him instead of cutting, moving and passing. When McGrady isn't on the court, all of a sudden the ball starts to move and they start to get easy buckets. He returns, they start moping again. Sometimes the difference isn't noticeable because McGrady is able to draw double teams and create offense for his teammates, but when that doesn't happen successfully, they just look really bad.

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That didn't seem to stop the Knicks yesterday. The Celtics are in a bit of a slump themselves, if you hadn't noticed.

6. caneks

caneks Rookie

1. T-Mac can't catch up with R Allen anyway, why bother?
    2. Celtics is playing poorly now than a few weeks ago, they lose to Warriors, Blazers and Knicks, we will get our chances.

7. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

The reason is quite simple: It's Tracy and he wants the easy way out.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I have to wonder why they didn't agree to do the more intelligent thing and agree that McGrady would play the second game of back to backs. You would interject a more rested player into a game when the rest of the squad isn't full speed. Playing the first game and skipping the second results into an even bigger let down.

As far as Boston, I didn't expect him to want to get embarrassed by Pierce anyway. Coward mentality. And absolutely, if McGrady wanted to he could request to play Boston to give us a better chance to win.

It'll probably be smart of him to play @ OKC and watch the Knicks game from the Toyota Center locker room. I think the fans are ready to give it to him - better hope there's a winning streak before we play the Lakers next week. That or take an extended absence to "heal" and "rehab" that "injured" knee.

Evan

9. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Who cares what game he plays

Right now Von Wafer >>>>> T-Mac
    give the minutes to him

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

I think it would help for him to not play at all for a couple months, maybe get some rehab, Atkin's diet, and high colonic enemas.

11. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Booyah. Get it over with and bench him already.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I approve the decision. A W at Philly is worth as much as a W at Boston, and we need a win sooner rather than later.

However, while McGrady still has knee problems, I think he should be coming off the bench. Well, except for the fact that everyone else who plays his position is also injured. But, once Battier comes back, put McGrady as 6th man until his knee is better. Then you won't have quite as much uncertainty.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would give him a chance, but the SECOND he dogs it, bench him.

DD

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That makes sense on a simplistic level, but who do we have a better chance of beating without McGrady? If you can you go for two wins instead of just one out of two.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think the idea is that if he plays the first game, there's still a chance he'll feel good the next day and decide to play against Boston as well. Whereas if you let him miss the first game, you'll definitely only have him for one game.

16. EbolaScola

EbolaScola Member

But Adelman won't because he has no control over the team.

17. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

:mad:

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Hey guys, T-Mac's 4 points is what we needed to beat ATL. So don't underestimate those 4 points T-Mac will give you. :D

19. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think you play the percentages. Try and get the win against Philly. Well, at least that's what I think they are doing.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I like this answer best of those given so far. :) Though I think it's unlikely tmac will change his mind on the one of two idea.