1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Wild-Card Weekend

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Jan 1, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You still can't hold....you can chuck em, but not hold em.

DD

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it may have been right but who calls defensive holding? selecting that moment to make probably the 2nd defensive holding call this century is a little iffy.

and there's no denying it was an amazingly ugly drive. penalties for 3 first downs on negative or no gain plays, and what could have been intentional grounding given that rivers just chunked it forward and then said "oh look, the RB was in the neighborhood of where i thew it." mediocre teams winning playoff rounds doesn't excite me in any sport.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The refs didn't take over the game. The Colts defensive players blew the game with dumb penalties. All of those calls were legit....

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Go Chargers!!!! Yeah baby!!! All the way this year!!

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Colts weren't as good as I thought. The game was theirs for the taking.

That OT drive was extremely ugly. Kinda leaves a bad taste for me. The Colts defense blew it.

6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

0-2 in my predictions so far. :eek:

I guess that means Miami and Minnesota will win tomorrow. :D

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Well, that just about confirmed my assumption that the Colts defense sucks big ones..
    <br>
    Seriously, could they do anything??
    <br>
    Good for San Diego..

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Ummm ... Jacob Hester, an eligible receiver, was less than 2 yards from where the ball hit the ground ... So no, it could not have been intentional grounding.

You just sound like a whiny fan regardless of whether you're a Colts fan or not. I guess according to you, players should be able to do whatever they want at the end of the game so that way they decide it and not the refs. The defensive holdings occurred because the Colts players were out of position and they had to to prevent a big play and the facemask was obvious. Sorry but those are things the refs absolutely have to call no matter what time in the game it is.

This is what I hate about fans ... always blaming the refs and no its not just you. I am an Aggie and I swear according to most Aggie fans we've never lost a game on our own, it is always the refs.

Maybe my opinion is different because I am a high school football official, but sometimes all the whining makes me sick. Yes there are poorly called games, but not anywhere near the number of games that fans whine about.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

+1

I understand letting calls go when it's questionable, but all 3 of those calls were very obvious.

10. Major

Major Member

No one ever calls defensive holding because defensive linemen never really hold.

That's not intentional grounding - not when there is a receiver in the area. That will never, ever be called intentional grounding, even though that was the purpose of the throw. Just like when a QB chunks a ball out of bounds - we all know he's just trying to get rid of it, but it's not illegal in those circumstances.

Yes, it was a absolutely ugly drive - because the Colts kept committing penalties over and over. If you don't call them, then it's unfair to the offensive team.

11. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

+2

Peyton Manning's new team that he hates now is the Chargers

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He should hate himself. Last four drives in regulation by the INDY offense (after a SD fumble): PUNT, PUNT, PUNT, end of regulation. What can you do? ;) SOME MVP.

13. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Matt Scifres is the unsung MVP in this game. 5 punts inside the Indy 10 yard line is impressive.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Go Chargers !!!

[​IMG]

DD

15. movement

movement Contributing Member

I don't follow football much, can someone pls explain why arizona and san diego hosted the game when the other teams had better records?

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Division winners get better seeding over wild card teams.

DD

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They also get home field advantage even with a worse record, unlike the NBA.

18. Yak

Yak Member

This game left me disgusted.

It virtually combined everything I hate about the NFL, alongside with the fact that Colts lost.

1. Colts were 12-4, Chargers were 8-8. COLTS SHOULD HAVE HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE! I don't care about divisions. Better records should have more advantages. Period.

2. r****ded NFL overtime system: The game comes down to a coin toss. It's pretty damn obvious the Colts win with offense, and you're not even giving them a chance to put the MVP on the field BECAUSE OF A COIN TOSS.

3. Horrible referees: some of the calls at the end of regulation and OT were bogus. I guess they were trying to make up for Hochulie's mistakes.

Horrible night for me. Rockets lose and Colts lose.

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Well, my prediction of a Manning vs. Manning Super Bowl is out.

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

The Colts lose the game, first by not making that 3rd and 2, because Peyton held the ball too long, the chargers played better.

They were bad calls, but for both ways, and in the last drive the penalties were clear.

The cardinals surprised me, they played very well.